Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Got the Molotov from one of the SC's, curious on ideas...

36 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,695 battles

... on how to spec the 10 point captain that came with it and also which modules to put on it.  My specialty is long range sniping and dodging in open water, not sure what this ship's strengths / strategies are.  Any insight would be awesome thanks!

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
1 minute ago, VGLance said:

not sure what this ship's strengths / strategies are.

Long range sniping and dodging in open water. Go for a firestarting build.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

With a 10 pointer I would run PT, LS, SE, CE.  Most people will say SE is a waste, go DE.  I've come to believe that DE is a waste of three captain points.  I've aggressively specced out of it on nearly all my captains and don't feel like I've lost much if any damage.  2100 hit points is more valuable to me.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
4 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I've come to believe that DE is a waste of three captain points.

We will have to agree to disagree then; I find the additional fire chance to be more important than an additional 2100 hp, but that's my personal opinion. Opinions may differ.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

2% is 1 hit in 50.  That's pretty irrelevant to me.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles
20 minutes ago, VGLance said:

... on how to spec the 10 point captain that came with it and also which modules to put on it.  My specialty is long range sniping and dodging in open water, not sure what this ship's strengths / strategies are.  Any insight would be awesome thanks!

Just check out the shell velocity. He starts fires and dies easy if you expose his fat citadel. Good guns to take out DD's.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
20 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

9 guns, that's an extra 18% per volley, or 12% if you are just using bow guns. Not insignificant

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles
18 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

9 guns, that's an extra 18% per volley, or 12% if you are just using bow guns. Not insignificant

please explain that math.  2% = 2 hits/100 that would not have stated a fire.  1 in 50 hits.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
6 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

please explain that math.  2% = 2 hits/100 that would not have stated a fire.  1 in 50 hits.

From 14% to 16% is a 14.3% increase in fire chance per salvo. That's hardly insignificant.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

I don't see it as more than 1 hit in 50.  Until I can understand why 1 hit in 50 is not correct, I won't be able to see the value.  I dropped DE and didn't notice any loss in damage at all.  I'm not trying to deliberately be dense, I just don't understand the perspective.

Edited by crzyhawk

[SOV]
Members
381 posts
6,362 battles

First of all Congrats :D

Molotov is literally tier 9 Dimitri donskoi guns on a frail t6 cruiser body. like the others have been saying, go for arson and maneuverability.

gameplay wise you start fires for days but your reload is a little slow in comparison to proper soviet tech tree cruisers. We all know that CA in general cannot take hits but ESPECIALLY not you. one shot placed almost anywhere has a big fat chance of citadelling your fragile body. so use that recon plane, keep on the move, dodge while spamming away.

Have fun, shes not the easiest to play, but damn are those guns fantastic :D

• Cool 1

Members
1,098 posts
5,622 battles
24 minutes ago, sbcptnitro said:

IFHE is the way!

It doesn't really help much as you can pen T6 and T7 BBs without it.

A strong majority of my T6 games are against T7's.

Members
8,077 posts
17,038 battles
2 hours ago, VGLance said:

Any insight would be awesome thanks!

Hold open the door from spawn and let everyone else go first. More targets between you and the reds means more distractions for reprobates with nothing better to do but shoot stupidly far across a map to try to smash the glass bottle you'll be driving.

I'm not saying to camp; but my experience has been that even thinking about trying to get close in Molotov is an invitation to let some seagull take a dump on you and sink you. The further away you can be and still land effective hits the better. Personnally think Budyonny is better because of its faster reload time.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

LWM has a review on this ship, and it pretty much fits what you said, iirc.  But, please check it for sure.  The guns are great at T6, but it's a glass cannon.

Edited by mavfin87

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
12 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't see it as more than 1 hit in 50.

1 additional hit in 50 is significant when the chance is normally 7 hits out of 50. That's an increase of 1/7, from 7 to 8. You're setting 14% more fires with DE than without.

Here's a little mental exercise: take an imaginary cruiser with a 1% fire chance. Apply DE. The fire chance is now 3%. That's a 200% increase in fires.

[SALVO]
Members
16,672 posts
17,308 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

It may be 1 in 50 in a raw sense, but the reality is that, for the Molotov with its base 13% fire chance, it is a 15% increase in the chance to start a fire.  15/13 = about 1.1538..... I'd say that a 15% buff is worth it.

[SALVO]
Members
16,672 posts
17,308 battles
13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hold open the door from spawn and let everyone else go first. More targets between you and the reds means more distractions for reprobates with notheing better to do but shoot stupidly far across a map to try to smash the glass bottle you'll be driving.

I'm not saying to camp; but my experience has been that even thinking about trying to get close in Molotov is an invitation to let some seagull take a dump on you and sink you. The further away you can be and still land effective hits the better. Personnally think Budyonny is better because of its faster reload time.

The Budy plays more like a light cruiser with its smaller but faster firing guns, while the Molotov, in spite of its weak armor, plays more like a heavy cruiser with its larger but slower firing guns.  That said, the Molotov's guns are freaking lasers, with their high shell velocity.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

for the Molotov with its base 13% fire chance, it is a 15% increase in the chance to start a fire.

14% -> 16%, so a 14.3% increase. Still worth it IMO, especially over a measly 2100 hitpoints on such a soft ship that should avoid being under fire to begin with.

Nope, nevermind, I was wrong. I had the firestarting signals mounted. It's 13% -> 15%, a 15% increase.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

Oh well, I'm just not going to see things through your guys perspective.  o7  never the less.

13% works well enough for me, as does the lowly 6% I have in the Duca D'Aosta.  Battles where I start 8-10 fires for ~5k fire damage are all too frequent for me to spend 3 captain points.  Perception is reality I suppose.

[ANKER]
Members
225 posts
5,269 battles

250 Molotov games with 68% winrate. Some good advice Already. 10 point is easy. Pt, AR,DE, CE. Ifhe not all that useful but disengagement is. Pick ur engagements. Don't rush enemies. Keep distance and kite. Use premium spotter plane. Fire ap at cruisers showing any side cuz u can cit them even at max range. Takes a couple dozen games to get good so don't get discouraged easily. Most rewarding cruiser guns in game. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts
42 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I don't see it as more than 1 hit in 50.  Until I can understand why 1 hit in 50 is not correct, I won't be able to see the value.  I dropped DE and didn't notice any loss in damage at all.  I'm not trying to deliberately be dense, I just don't understand the perspective.

You have 9 shells per salvo. You increase the percent chance for 2% per shell. For a salvo, that is 9x2 or 18% better chance done quick and dirty

The other way to slice it is the way Lert did. Each shell has a 13% chance. A 2% increase brings it to 15% per shell, which coincidentally is a 15% increase in the chance, 2/13 or 15.384% increase actually (2 is 15% of 13)

To my mind either way you cut it, the increase is not insignificant. I am not saying your build is wrong or a DE is right, just saying it's a good improvement

Edited by Destroyer_Suzukaze

[SALVO]
Members
16,672 posts
17,308 battles
22 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Oh well, I'm just not going to see things through your guys perspective.  o7  never the less.

13% works well enough for me, as does the lowly 6% I have in the Duca D'Aosta.  Battles where I start 8-10 fires for ~5k fire damage are all too frequent for me to spend 3 captain points.  Perception is reality I suppose.

Not to denigrate you, dude, but you are looking at this from the wrong perspective.  The way I described it is statistically correct.  And for that matter, you get even more bang for the buck on DE when the fire chance is small.  After all, if a gun has a 2% fire chance and you increase it to 4%, that's a 100% increase in the fire starting chance.

Still, if you're happy with the rate of fires you're getting without DE, there's no reason to force yourself to take it.

Members
8,077 posts
17,038 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The Budy plays more like a light cruiser with its smaller but faster firing guns, while the Molotov, in spite of its weak armor, plays more like a heavy cruiser with its larger but slower firing guns. That said, the Molotov's guns are freaking lasers, with their high shell velocity.

Molotov has never been anything to me beyond being a T6 RU Des Moines... As soon as anyone sees it, it's like they start screaming 'A ROACH! KILL IT!!!' Hard to act like a light or heavy cruiser when you die so fast the difference is meaningless. Molotov manuevers like such a stupid, fat, pig, there is no such thing as 'dodge incoming fire.'

(bold) Don't disagree, but that accuracy has no value when when shooting them is basically the same as asking the enemy to sink you.

Sign in to follow this