OldFrog75

Premium Ships...

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

Premium Ships   53 members have voted

1. 1. What is your perception of Premium Ships

• Generally Balanced relative to Tech Tree Ships
    • Generally Over Powered relative to Tech Tree Ships
    • Generally Nerfed relative to Tech Tree Ships

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

Curious what the general perception of Premium Ships is.   Additional comments below about specific ships would be appreciated.

Generally speaking most of them are a bit OP compared to their tech tree counterparts.

I don't think I'll vote on this one. Premium ships come in all shapes, from clearly OP ships like Belfast, through to direct clones like Prinz Eugen/Hipper, through to clearly UP ships like Kransky Krym. 

Many premium ships hips offer something different that the tech tree ships don't (eg, Atlanta, Scharnhorst), and this is how it should be. 

Premium ships ops retain their stronger credit earning potential, accelerated captain training, and being able to pop any captain in them ftw. 

2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

I don't think I'll vote on this one. Premium ships come in all shapes, from clearly OP ships like Belfast, through to direct clones like Prinz Eugen/Hipper, through to clearly UP ships like Kransky Krym. 

Many premium ships hips offer something different that the tech tree ships don't (eg, Atlanta, Scharnhorst), and this is how it should be. 

Premium ships ops retain their stronger credit earning potential, accelerated captain training, and being able to pop any captain in them ftw. 

This. I'll be passing on this as well. There's too much diversity among them to categorically label them one way or the other.

10 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Additional comments below about specific ships would be appreciated.

Do you want feedback on any ship in particular?

5 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

Do you want feedback on any ship in particular?

Not yet.  Too new to the game.  Just curious about the general perception of the WoWS community compared to what I've seen over in WoT.

3 minutes ago, OldFrog75 said:

Not yet.  Too new to the game.  Just curious about the general perception of the WoWS community compared to what I've seen over in WoT.

Smart. There's tons of info out there, especially youtube that helped me a lot. I'd wait to buy your first premium until you can consistently place in the top 5 on your team or do 1.5X your HP in damage. That's when I decided I was good enough to not embarrass myself and get chewed out by my team. All the vets can spot a noob in a premium across the map it seems lol. Sailing blissfully along side on to .... bloop

The third option would really be more accurately written as "Generally underpowered compared to ....".

But as others have said, there really is no general "rule" regarding WoWS premiums.  A handful have been so OP that they have been permanently pulled from sale.  Some are only marginally OP, and so remain available.  Some are pretty well balanced and entirely playable.  And a few are underpowered, though still playable.

If you want more info on WoWS premiums, try to find LittleWhiteMouse's overall review of all premium ships in the General Discussion subforum.  Her premium ship reviews are IMO considered the gold standard on this forum.

27 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

23 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

This. I'll be passing on this as well. There's too much diversity among them to categorically label them one way or the other.

I agree with HeathenForay and UltimateNewbie, there is too much variation. Check out LittleWhiteMouse and Lert in his box, as their reviews are great.

this is the fourth poll I have seen in a week with no bacon option.... what gives???

I use them to train Captains and to farm credits, some are winners some are losers. If you think Belfast is OP just check out my stats in her. I did not vote need a some good some bad option, also at least a BLT option if not plain Bacon.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Read anything that Little White Mouse says.  Anything.

Also, pmgaudio is right.  No bacon?

48 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Premium ships come in all shapes, from clearly OP ships like Belfast, through to direct clones like Prinz Eugen/Hipper, through to clearly UP ships like Kransky Krym. 

This; from Albany and Tachibana to Missouri you want a covers-all opinion. Good luck with that.

Some of the limited ships are OP..  Some are 'collector' items.

Most are pretty fun.  Being able to drop various captains into is nifty.

I'm going for the most part balanced - based on my experience and observations. Though, it is usually a matter of I need to see both sides to make a judgement call of the fullest. My opinion also differentiates in some cases from the majority.

Most say Belfast is OP, but even before I got one the radar is OP, but that is a radar issue, the ship itself it's a torpedo-less Edi. I delete them same as any other UK cruiser, most are relatively stationary in smoke, aim at where I think they are machine gunning from, enjoy the salt. Nikolai, well, maybe my Ark Beta is more OP than it is. Saipan, that is OP as hell. Kaga is fairly balanced, manual drop is the only real issue, Prinz well, everyone whined that it's basically hipper, Kaze clones - typical IJN DD, never saw the pre nerf IJN line as OP but I was the minority. Schan and Tirpitz, they are fine. Arizona maybe borders on OP it feels like with the way it takes hits. But after so long, I know how to fight most of these, so maybe that's why.

Choose well and they make a very unique addition to your spectrum of ships. My only gripe is that about 6 of these premiums I paid for are now being given away for free.

So the message they are sending is... don't buy them if you are the patient sort--you'll get yours free in a super container or wherever.

1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Yeah and Diana and Katori need help as well, although if Katori just got a bit of a speed boost it would be ok compared to tech tree rivals.

2 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Choose well and they make a very unique addition to your spectrum of ships. My only gripe is that about 6 of these premiums I paid for are now being given away for free.

So the message they are sending is... don't buy them if you are the patient sort--you'll get yours free in a super container or wherever.

Only partially true, yeah an occasional player will win a premium Ship, but I have played for most of the year now and my grand total of premium ships from crates that I earn every day is: 0

If you want a premium Ship you most likely are going to have to buy it.

Generally they're better than tech tree counterparts. Things like Saipan-Ranger come to mind.

29 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Some of the limited ships are OP..  Some are 'collector' items.

Most are pretty fun.  Being able to drop various captains into is nifty.

This is a big problem I have with premiums from small countries that we know will never have a legit tech tree in the game, like the Polish DD (which I do have, because it is a fine DD).  You don't have a barracks full of captains to choose from.  Whatever captain you put in that premium has to work his way to from scratch (or at least a few skill points if you want to pay a little gold to get a head start, or maybe get a bundle where there's a decent captain thrown in).

This is also a problem with prems of larger navies that just aren't yet in the game, like currently the Italian cruiser or the Warspite for the longest time.  The upside is that you know that eventually there will be an Italian tech tree.

51 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I agree with HeathenForay and UltimateNewbie, there is too much variation. Check out LittleWhiteMouse and Lert in his box, as their reviews are great.

This is the most comprehensive and detailed way to answer your Questions 

1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

through to clearly UP ships like Kransky Krym. 

Once again an apparently disliked ship. Personally treat it like a bigger Pod with more guns and seem to get along pretty well with it.

42 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Only partially true, yeah an occasional player will win a premium Ship, but I have played for most of the year now and my grand total of premium ships from crates that I earn every day is: 0

If you want a premium Ship you most likely are going to have to buy it.

I did say "very patient."

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

This is a big problem I have with premiums from small countries that we know will never have a legit tech tree in the game, like the Polish DD (which I do have, because it is a fine DD).  You don't have a barracks full of captains to choose from.  Whatever captain you put in that premium has to work his way to from scratch (or at least a few skill points if you want to pay a little gold to get a head start, or maybe get a bundle where there's a decent captain thrown in).

This is also a problem with prems of larger navies that just aren't yet in the game, like currently the Italian cruiser or the Warspite for the longest time.  The upside is that you know that eventually there will be an Italian tech tree.

When these ships come out, like the Duca did recently, there is usually some sort of XP bonus missions that go with them.  At that time, I take the opportunity to grind out at least 10 points.

On ships like the Perth and Blyskawica, I missed the initial offering so I paid for 3.  They were back-ground projects I'd spend time on when nothing else was going on and finally got both over 10.The Blys was at 7 for a lonoooong time.