You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

Toxic chat by tier.. Observation.

73 comments in this topic

Palladia    217
On 9/15/2017 at 5:23 PM, awildpervert said:

Its always the guy that dies in the first few minutes of the game that blames everyone when he got focused fired or showed broadside in a cruiser early.

Thats my observation.  Its the guy who ran out ahead of everyone and didn't pay attention to what the team was doing so he died first screaming about how the rest of the team sucks.  Even if the team is ahead at the time.  

DDGPhalanx    50

I've noticed that if I'm sufficiently intoxicated, chats are generally pleasant. 

It's only when I play sober that people are unnecessarily toxic in the chat. 

This could be the result of my differing attention span, or that what I find amusing when drunk I find annoying when sober, but it could just as easily be that I drive ships better when I'm drunk and so encourage less toxicity through my play.

As for tier differences, all I can say I've noticed is a lot of coaching (or "aft steering" as I like to call it) from people at high tiers, and a lot of "I just learned a bad word" dialogue in middle tiers. 

13 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

In my short time on these forums I think I've seen more people complaining about toxic chat than I have ever seen toxic chat in game. Perhaps I'm not playing at the right times but the WOWs playerbase seems pretty tame. 

If the opinions of some anonymous people on the Internet are really causing you a problem there's a handy option for muting the chat. It's not a big deal and I really doubt anyone is being turned off from playing this game by mean chat messages. 

Oh play for a bit.  You will start to notice a trend. 

4 minutes ago, DDGPhalanx said:

I've noticed that if I'm sufficiently intoxicated, chats are generally pleasant. 

This could be the result of my differing attention span, or that what I find amusing when drunk I find annoying when sober, but it could just as easily be that I drive ships better when I'm drunk and so encourage less toxicity through my play.

As for tier differences, all I can say I've noticed is a lot of coaching (or "aft steering" as I like to call it) from people at high tiers, and a lot of "I just learned a bad word" dialogue in middle tiers. 

I am going to make 2 comments.  First.  Nice ribbon rack.  Second, yeah beer makes everything better.  lol.   3 Bronze on the sea service is beyond respectable.  that is boss.  I put one on mine and thought that was pretty good.   Those Battle E's though..  ugh.  nice to see them, but those are kiss [edited]ribbons.   you know what you have to do for battle E.  stupid crapshow. 

15 minutes ago, DDGPhalanx said:

Am I seeing this right?  4 stars on a NAM?  which officer were you in a pocket with?    Gold star = the 5th bronze star.  right?  

DDGPhalanx    50
8 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Am I seeing this right?  4 stars on a NAM?  which officer were you in a pocket with?    Gold star = the 5th bronze star.  right?  

Lol you've brought my rack up before. 

I have 5 NAM's. Two were end-of-tour, basically anyone who is at least mediocre at their job gets an EOT in the Navy.

Three were spotted. I served as LPO, an E-6 position, as a junior E-5 during INSURV on my first ship. I served as LCPO, an E-7 position, as a junior E-6 on my second ship. If you weren't in the Navy, it'd be hard to explain the significance of those two, but I didn't get them for having a pulse. The 5th NAM was for troubleshooting a major gun casualty on CIWS for 78 consecutive hours. We had an SM-2 live fire exercise during the next underway and needed CIWS on-line to serve as our only ASM defense while Aegis was INOP for the FIREX. Had I not corrected the casualty (it's always the breech bolts), the 3-star would've deferred our SM-2 FIREX to another ship. So my CO decided to give me a NAM.

Every other ribbon I have is basically a "happened to be there" ribbon, but the Navy is very different from the Army and MC. My entire rack is pretty typical aside from the NAM's. I got a MUC and a Humanitarian Service for performing S&R off the east coast of Japan after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake/tsunami caused a nuclear reactor meltdown and displaced hundreds of thousands of Japanese citizens. My JMUA was standard for a Med deployment for any ship that doesn't collide with anything or cause international incidents in port. The Battle "E"s are just a right place, right time ribbon in the Navy. 

As for sea service, I did one typical deployment for my fourth, but my first three were for being forward-deployed. I was stationed in Japan for 3 years, and received one SS and OS ribbon each year. Nothing special really, though the 50% OP tempo was a ball-buster. 

Reymu    465

Low and mid tiers I expect some noob behavior. After T8 it's a no-no, unless you went wallet warrior and FXP'd to T10, you have hundreds of battles, so minimap, AP/HE, positioning, and many other things should be 2nd nature.

But there's no curing stupid. Casuals want to play only for fun, hang the consequences, then nothing we can say to change their minds. I have a semi-competitive side and want them digging their full potential, not wasting it, but again, their decision.

That's where most of my toxic thoughts are, high tiers. Example: There is 0 excuse for being a BB camping in the back and using teammates as shields to farm your massive damage and stat-pad; you're meant to tank and in some cases, brawl, as well as best able to survive torp runs from a DD, so you're supposed to lead the way. Few actually do that, so I find their playstyle nothing but pure garbage.

But I don't bother saying much. They're determined to stay alive or wait for the DDs to die while they snipe, and no reasoning with them. I find it more relaxing to let them die and mock them for not doing their job properly.

• Cool 2

There are a ton of factors that play into my salt level:

1. The streak I'm on tends to affect my mood.

2. I usually couldn't care less if I lose at tier X since I'm no longer grinding (though it should be said that I'm thankful the SC mission was play a tier X and not win).

3. If I'm repeatedly failing in a mission.

4. What ship I'm playing.

5. What ship an ally brings

Redletter    6
On 9/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

We know why you reverted back at T5.  You made that pretty clear in another topic.  You just don't have the fortitude to push past. I believe that your reason was that "It made your brain hurt to try to play against the higher levels: That is fine.  But there is a difference between having a personality that shies from adversity and people being turned off by toxic play.  Some people like a challenge.  Some people run from it.  Some people just won't deal with idiots.

Probably the most passive aggressive response I have ever seen on a forum. I can smell the vape and picture the fedora from here in washington state. 

Also, you nerds are pretty butthurt. But I'm banned currently from chat for calling people nerds ay lmbo. 

Amenhir    10

I don't see it too often in any tier.  It's usually pretty quiet.   I find poor winners are more of an issue than out right toxicity.  When I am on the verge of raging I don't ever lash out at other players.  There are only so many times you can be called a snowflake. salty or any of the regurgitated lingo.  The only time I really comment is when someone is being abusive to another player.  I can't stand that garbage.  There is no reason to humiliate someone.

The few raging jerks I've seen in chat aren't that different from any other game. Just report them, let the karma score build up, and they'll eventually get the boot. If they dislike how I play, cool. Their opinion is simply not my problem. At least I don't hear them screaming like on a console game.

I would like to be able to silence them in chat with the "ignore" function. If I somehow accidentally manage to end up alive for the second half of a game, it is truly annoying to keep getting pings from a player who died in the first half that keeps spamming chat commands. I get it, you think that we need to pay attention to square G4. Let me finish dodging this torpedo bomber runs, then I'll check out whatever it is you are being so noisy about.

If we are still in the countdown before the game and I start seeing chat spam ... let me just silence those players for my own sanity. I'm a DD guy, so I need to focus. The constant {ping}{ping}{ping}{ping}{ping}{ping}{ping} is going to break my concentration and I'll get dead because I missed something while trying to tune out the noise.

Smeggles    6
2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

The only time I really comment is when someone is being abusive to another player.  I can't stand that garbage.  There is no reason to humiliate someone.

100%

Sometimes its difficult to hold my tongue when you get a turd CV who completely loses the match for me simply by queueing, but I do my best to keep silent then too.  I don't mind really bad regular ship players.  Your team can be half those and still win.  Really bad CV players though just take his entire team's skill and flushes it down the toilet.

Edited by Smeggles

Amenhir    10
8 hours ago, Smeggles said:

100%

Sometimes its difficult to hold my tongue when you get a turd CV who completely loses the match for me simply by queueing, but I do my best to keep silent then too.  I don't mind really bad regular ship players.  Your team can be half those and still win.  Really bad CV players though just take his entire team's skill and flushes it down the toilet.

I find that really bad cv players are becoming more of an issue of late.  The removal of strafing and manual drops, especially strafing, created a situation where players reaching tier 6 for the first time are woefully unprepared.  I understand that "seal clubbing" was an issue at lower tiers but the cv pop. wasn't substantial enough, imo, to be a real problem.   You end up with players that put a few games in tier 4 and 5 cvs and then dropping down the money for a premium one and then you see a Saipan getting owned by Kaga fighters.

Edited by Amenhir

Soshi_Sone    1,061
On 9/15/2017 at 4:11 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Anyone else have thoughts here?

For eons humans have evolved based on the need to survive.  To WIN.  But not win in the sense we know today per se.  Winning many centuries ago was the difference between life and death.  Win...survive. Lose...die.  Really die.  End.  Over.  While we have become much more civilized over time, the DNA is still there...and to a certain extent needs to be there...as survival of the species is at stake.

It's just a "game"?  Yes.  We know it's a game.  But the ability to tap those survival instincts are as vital to winning a "game" today as they were to surviving long ago.  And toxicity in deed and word are a byproduct of tapping those instincts.

OP is correct in that the biggest schism is between casual players (who might not even care if they win...don't desire to tap that WILL TO WIN) and those who are playing to win.  There really is no way to prevent this schism.  Because as soon as that is removed (say, by having all-clan matches)...the toxicity just moves to a different level.

The best fix..is...maturity.  And that only comes with time...a long time...years.  Maturity...the ability to disconnect from the survival instinct and kick in the "civilized" instinct.  That requires experience well beyond WOWS.  So no matter what you do in WOWS...it won't get fixed.  It might morph somewhat.  But it won't go away.

Personally, I really enjoy this game.  I either don't see a lot of toxicity...or I have an innate ability to ignore it without seeing it.  What little I do see is no more than what I see in any sport..be it electronic or physical.  So press on..I say.  Press on.  Have fun.  Have the will to win...I hope.  But if casual is your style...so be it (just don't get upset when I say push push push).   Enjoy!

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Krautjaeger    36
On 15/09/2017 at 11:23 PM, awildpervert said:

Its always the guy that dies in the first few minutes of the game that blames everyone when he got focused fired or showed broadside in a cruiser early.

Yep, and it's the same no matter the server. Since it's event, I'm doing it on both EU and NA and *that person* is quite often the one. Not always though, it can also be the lemming train blaming the couple of guys that tried to old the flank for the loss, that happens a lot too. In my experience though, regardless of server, the higher the tier the saltier the games. Best is to just laugh at them or tell them to shut up, they can sit there and be so angry their whole evening is completely ruined and I wouldn't care one bit as next game they're all forgotten. Happy sailing all. :Smile_Default:

awiggin    1,956
On 9/15/2017 at 1:11 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

For a very long time I played at the T10 level.  At the, what I suppose could be called the "elite level", there is a bit of toxicity that happens from time to time.  This usually comes from a "certain group", that is highly competitive, and given that at the highest level of play, I guess it would be considered a given that Highly competitive people would have some frustration with more casual players.  Is that an excuse for the behavior?  No.  Would a level of understanding that casual players play at T10 be warranted?  One would think.  But overall I get it and that is, IMHO, excusable.  Outside of that data point flyer, most folks have fun and can laugh off a good beat down, or in my case usually, a sneaky Shima torp wall that eats my GK alive.  On the flip if I happen to catch a DD close and eat him with seconds, I get a GG back.  If I bang heads with another BB and we duke it out,  a "good fight" comment usually follows without much heartache from the loser and respect, not gloating, from the winner. 

My point is actually one that focuses on the lower tier play.

As I mentioned, I have participated in a lot of T10 games.  Recently I embarked on a new mission to run the KM DD Line.  I started my quest at T5, because I could for one, and simply because I hate the torp soup at the very low tiers where people run around like ants being pissed on and just firing torps wherever and whenever.  Usually doing more damage to their team than the other. 

Now on to my observation.   Playing Maas at T7, I have noticed that in games where I am primarily matched with other T7/8/9 ships, the chat is generally pleasant.  Good luck to all to start and general congrats all around at the end regardless of the outcome.  In other words,  pretty good sportsmanship and recognition of good play.  When my MM drops me in with T5/6/7,  I notice a lot more hate.  Generally from the 5 crowd.  This is what I find concerning.

How many new players that are getting into the game are getting turned off by these guys that run around the T4/5/6 range, that think they know it all, and just flame every player on their team, the other team, and kid you not, sometimes the last team they were on?

Here is a last game example.  I ran to the cap on my side, with a cruiser back up.  Now this guy was all in on helping me so that was cool.  We got the cap,  I got jumped by an enemy DD, but I held him "lit" and my cruiser buddy smacked him down.  Now that is about textbook perfect.  We capped and both left without having taken any significant damage.  We make our way across the map to B, where the bulk of the team is hiding behind an island, and along the way all we get is hate chat from 2 guys about "camping", "not helping", etc.. etc. etc.  We all have heard it.  So we get to B, take an aggressive point.  Push out the reds and take that cap.  My cruiser buddy is a beast on my 6 and with him I can impose my will..and without him I know I can't.  So I am chatting him up giving him some props, and some other guy jumps in trashing my cruiser back up for being an idiot.  I don't even remember what the reasoning behind it was, but the guy was actually dead and just railing.    So on we go to C.  Now the bulk of the fleet is still at B and there is some fighting there, but we ran to get that last cap and leave them to it.   In the mean time, a DD snuck into A and started to take it back.  Now all of a sudden me and my CA buddy are butt hats for leaving A alone.  I mean seriously we are running all over the map, taking caps, killing ships, and whatever we did was "wrong"...all based on the court of either dead people, or people not doing much. 

So,  sorry for the long winded example, but IMHO there is a toxic wall around the T5/6 mark that may be putting people off from playing further.  Beyond that seems to be a much more pleasant place. 

Anyone else have thoughts here?

You're assuming that the hate comes from the old school players, and not the new crowd? Isn't it just possible the opposite is happening? WG has been advertising heavily trying to keep numbers up, and many of the newer players I've noticed seem to be spending money, and thinking it should make them great....:cap_hmm:

Tandin    2
On 9/17/2017 at 9:40 AM, Amenhir said:

I find that really bad cv players are becoming more of an issue of late.  The removal of strafing and manual drops, especially strafing, created a situation where players reaching tier 6 for the first time are woefully unprepared.  I understand that "seal clubbing" was an issue at lower tiers but the cv pop. wasn't substantial enough, imo, to be a real problem.   You end up with players that put a few games in tier 4 and 5 cvs and then dropping down the money for a premium one and then you see a Saipan getting owned by Kaga fighters.

Which is why I am trying to use my ryujo and independence as much as possible (both co-op and random) in order to develop my alt attack skills.  I actually own every tier up to 8 cvs in both lines (own a lexington, saipan, kaga, and shokaku) but I refuse to use them until I stop being a total potato.  It is a hell of a learning curve though.  I've been doing operations a lot lately too.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Redletter said:

Probably the most passive aggressive response I have ever seen on a forum. I can smell the vape and picture the fedora from here in washington state. 

Also, you nerds are pretty butthurt. But I'm banned currently from chat for calling people nerds ay lmbo. 

I smoke Marlboro Reds, wear a camo hat about as religiously as I wear underwear, or may be more, and here in just about a week or so will be spending more time hunting "Bambi" than I will be here.  This is what I do while I drink beer and have nothing else going on.  Oh and the beer I drink..  Rainer or Budweiser.  None of that sissy IPA or micro brew crap.  You would have had to been a part of another discussion to know what I meant in my post..

I've  "hit" more "stuff" in foreign ports than your tiny brain could imagine.   Been in more bar brawls than I can remember, and probably came out on the wrong side of a lot of them, but learned enough to come out om the right side of a few.  Hauled my muddy bloody [edited] across my ship quarterdeck more than a few times.      So move along tiny dancer.  You know nothing. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 1

Shadeylark    225
On 9/15/2017 at 4:44 PM, surratus said:

I don't know that I've played enough Random matches to make a sweeping observation, but I am at that T5 level.  I really haven't noticed chat being toxic as much has the forums seem to imply.  Perhaps one in twenty matches where I note harsh comments.  Most of the time I'm up-tiered and much of the angst - although infrequent - does come from other T5 angry at MM rather than other players.  Inter-player squabbles often seem to come from players that know each other, at least that is my impression.  Perhaps my observation is different depending the time of day, or if it's the weekend.  In any case I'm pleased that the upper tiers don't appear more toxic to some players.

At low tiers the tears result from crap MM... at high tiers the salt comes from crap teammates.

Can't complain about being uptiered when you're t10... but you sure as he'll can complain about your teammate who plays his t10 like he's in a t5 up against a t7.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:40 PM, DDGPhalanx said:

Lol you've brought my rack up before. 

I have 5 NAM's. Two were end-of-tour, basically anyone who is at least mediocre at their job gets an EOT in the Navy.

Three were spotted. I served as LPO, an E-6 position, as a junior E-5 during INSURV on my first ship. I served as LCPO, an E-7 position, as a junior E-6 on my second ship. If you weren't in the Navy, it'd be hard to explain the significance of those two, but I didn't get them for having a pulse. The 5th NAM was for troubleshooting a major gun casualty on CIWS for 78 consecutive hours. We had an SM-2 live fire exercise during the next underway and needed CIWS on-line to serve as our only ASM defense while Aegis was INOP for the FIREX. Had I not corrected the casualty (it's always the breech bolts), the 3-star would've deferred our SM-2 FIREX to another ship. So my CO decided to give me a NAM.

Every other ribbon I have is basically a "happened to be there" ribbon, but the Navy is very different from the Army and MC. My entire rack is pretty typical aside from the NAM's. I got a MUC and a Humanitarian Service for performing S&R off the east coast of Japan after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake/tsunami caused a nuclear reactor meltdown and displaced hundreds of thousands of Japanese citizens. My JMUA was standard for a Med deployment for any ship that doesn't collide with anything or cause international incidents in port. The Battle "E"s are just a right place, right time ribbon in the Navy. 

As for sea service, I did one typical deployment for my fourth, but my first three were for being forward-deployed. I was stationed in Japan for 3 years, and received one SS and OS ribbon each year. Nothing special really, though the 50% OP tempo was a ball-buster. 

My ribbons are nowhere near yours, though I have to give you huge props for calling out the "gimmes' and the "earned".  I will agree you earned every one of them.  I got a Humanitarian for the  LA earthquake in I think it was 94 or 95.  I only got one NAM, I didn't get and end of service one as they didn't do that back then.  I got mine as an MM on an Airedale base, but I took down and rebuilt the hydraulics on 2 cardboard bailers that the base used for recycling.   I guess they thought that was pretty important.  lol..  They were about to drop about 500k to replace them and I fixed them with a couple of O rings that I ingeniously placed .  I got my sea service, my only one the old fashioned way.  Got a National defense when they still gave those out for doing something and not when you graduated boot.  Would rather toss that in the trash than say I had it.  I meant something when I got it, so I keep it.    Missed 2 different combat action ribbons for basically doing the same things, just not quite at the right date on a calendar.   Earned my ESWAS when that actually meant something also.  Back then an E5 with s surface pin was god.  Nowadays non rate E3's have like 3 or 4 pins.    I miss my Navy. 

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, awiggin said:

You're assuming that the hate comes from the old school players, and not the new crowd? Isn't it just possible the opposite is happening? WG has been advertising heavily trying to keep numbers up, and many of the newer players I've noticed seem to be spending money, and thinking it should make them great....:cap_hmm:

Did I assume that?  At the high tier I think it does because it usually comes from those that are playing with a stake in game for their stats.  At the low tier I absolutely agree it comes from the new crowd that just seems to hate for some reason.  If I came off different I will admit I was wrong.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Soshi_Sone said:

For eons humans have evolved based on the need to survive.  To WIN.  But not win in the sense we know today per se.  Winning many centuries ago was the difference between life and death.  Win...survive. Lose...die.  Really die.  End.  Over.  While we have become much more civilized over time, the DNA is still there...and to a certain extent needs to be there...as survival of the species is at stake.

It's just a "game"?  Yes.  We know it's a game.  But the ability to tap those survival instincts are as vital to winning a "game" today as they were to surviving long ago.  And toxicity in deed and word are a byproduct of tapping those instincts.

OP is correct in that the biggest schism is between casual players (who might not even care if they win...don't desire to tap that WILL TO WIN) and those who are playing to win.  There really is no way to prevent this schism.  Because as soon as that is removed (say, by having all-clan matches)...the toxicity just moves to a different level.

The best fix..is...maturity.  And that only comes with time...a long time...years.  Maturity...the ability to disconnect from the survival instinct and kick in the "civilized" instinct.  That requires experience well beyond WOWS.  So no matter what you do in WOWS...it won't get fixed.  It might morph somewhat.  But it won't go away.

Personally, I really enjoy this game.  I either don't see a lot of toxicity...or I have an innate ability to ignore it without seeing it.  What little I do see is no more than what I see in any sport..be it electronic or physical.  So press on..I say.  Press on.  Have fun.  Have the will to win...I hope.  But if casual is your style...so be it (just don't get upset when I say push push push).   Enjoy!

Counter point.  Those that think winning or losing in a video game has ANY parallel to the actual life and death struggles of real warriors, or even just anyone that has actually put "it" really on the line in any capacity in any dangerous real life role.  You not only have no idea what the hell you are talking about, you seriously offend those of us that do.  The level of stupidity in that  post is actually amplified by the level of intelligence you put behind it.  How could you possibly put a real life and death struggle on the same level as a stupid game?   Holy hell.  I had a lot of respect for you before that. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig