You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SgtSqueegee

Tired of Strafing Runs

10 comments in this topic

[_DS-]
Members
7 posts
3,806 battles

Yes yes, another complaint on the forums, this isn't surprising to many anymore, right? I just want to get straight to the point. I am tired of fighter strafes. I don't like the added challenge of having to micromanage my planes, about as much as a Pro StarCraft II Player. I typically play my CVs for fun, and while I certainly find enjoyment in gunning down planes in my fighters, I get salty when I see squadrons of planes get shot down in an instant, whether it be mine or enemy planes. It doesn't seem fair to me, plain and simple. The sheer dis-satisfaction fighter strafing provides to me, is something I'm not really feeling okay with. Why should I, someone who plays games for fun, like any other human being, want to keep torturing myself with these strafes runs I've been experiencing. Now yes, maybe it is partially my own fault, like when my bombers group up into a big old clump when I move them around a lot, but the core of this argument I'm getting at is; Fighter strafes to me, aren't very fun, to anyone who experiences it. Micromanaging to me in a game is a chore, not a fun concept.

I don't know, maybe I just suck at CVs and I don't notice it. Maybe I'm just being another whiny [edited] on the forums. However, taking the fun out of a game to a ship class I like, really makes me want to stop playing. Unfortunately, I'm too wound up in my salt bath to come up with a good substitute concept for fighter strafes, but all I can say is, I'm certain I don't want to touch my Kaga or my other CVs until something gets done about it, because I'm too busy raging like a hormonal girl on her period at this point. What do you guys think? What are your thoughts on fighter strafes? Do you guys get agitated with fighter strafes, or do you just accept them and move on?

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my shitpost, at least I got some frustration out there, even if someone wants to insult me for whining about something in this game. #:Smile_popcorn: Happy sailing all, hope your luck is better than me. 

-Sgt.Squeegee

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

To each their own. I like the skill shots even if I'm not all that great at them. It keeps the player active and continuously thinking/reacting. Plane Clicker 2017 doesn't sound all that exciting.

Plus, fighter strafing allows for worse fighters to have a fighting chance against better ones. It can be rare, but there are times where a decent IJN CV player can gain air superiority against an AS USN CV if that USN CV player has no idea what they are doing. Without strafes, the USN player gets fighter supremacy through no effort at all whatsoever.

What I don't like about fighter strafes is how unintuitive they can be. Set one up to require a minor course change? Your squad has to do a circle to line up, missing your chance. And then there's the 90 degree strafes which just make no sense in how they work with the current UI. Saipan is also totally broken with its immunity to losing a plane in an escape strafe.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

Without plane strafes, there are no strong counters to bomber blobs, no advantage to USN's larger plane squadrons, no way to escape a fighter lock-up, and no "manual control for higher risk/reward" mechanic for fighters.

It's a questionable mechanic, but replacing it would be difficult at this point.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Without plane strafes, there are no strong counters to bomber blobs, no advantage to USN's larger plane squadrons, no way to escape a fighter lock-up, and no "manual control for higher risk/reward" mechanic for fighters.

It's a questionable mechanic, but replacing it would be difficult at this point.

This. I also prefer more micromanaging. If I wanted something less stressful I'd play another ship type or go play Tetris.

[_DS-]
Members
7 posts
3,806 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

I suppose that is true. I never really thought about that before. Just goes to show I don't look at all perspectives at once. That makes sense though, and it could be difficult to replace. I just wish it wasn't so rage inducing sometimes, but I guess I need to get gud. :p

[_DS-]
Members
7 posts
3,806 battles
2 hours ago, renegadestatuz said:

This. I also prefer more micromanaging. If I wanted something less stressful I'd play another ship type or go play Tetris.

Yeah, fair enough. Usually when I get frustrated, I just tab out to my other monitor and watch YouTube or something. I've been playing a lot of DDs to counterfeit my grievances with CVs as of late.

[_DS-]
Members
7 posts
3,806 battles
2 hours ago, Final_Spark said:

To each their own. I like the skill shots even if I'm not all that great at them. It keeps the player active and continuously thinking/reacting. Plane Clicker 2017 doesn't sound all that exciting.

Plus, fighter strafing allows for worse fighters to have a fighting chance against better ones. It can be rare, but there are times where a decent IJN CV player can gain air superiority against an AS USN CV if that USN CV player has no idea what they are doing. Without strafes, the USN player gets fighter supremacy through no effort at all whatsoever.

What I don't like about fighter strafes is how unintuitive they can be. Set one up to require a minor course change? Your squad has to do a circle to line up, missing your chance. And then there's the 90 degree strafes which just make no sense in how they work with the current UI. Saipan is also totally broken with its immunity to losing a plane in an escape strafe.

Yeah, plane clicker wouldn't be too exciting, I can agree with that. Yeah, I have had some moments where my one IJN fighter can size up to a US CV at some points.They can be pretty silly, like when you seem to line it up right, and you hardly shoot down any planes. The inconsistency and at the same time, the rate of how it eats planes is staggeringly affecting, psychologically, to me at least. :P

• Cool 1

[_DS-]
Members
7 posts
3,806 battles
3 hours ago, userz123 said:

play low tier then, it got nothing no manual drop or strafe. 

I had heard they took it out at tier 4 and 5 CVs, any idea why? I wasn't playing at the time they changed that.

Members
2,208 posts
4,051 battles
4 hours ago, SgtSqueegee said:

Yeah, plane clicker wouldn't be too exciting, I can agree with that. Yeah, I have had some moments where my one IJN fighter can size up to a US CV at some points.They can be pretty silly, like when you seem to line it up right, and you hardly shoot down any planes. The inconsistency and at the same time, the rate of how it eats planes is staggeringly affecting, psychologically, to me at least. :P

That psychological effect is actually a double edged sword. If you scare the red CV to bad at the first engagement they tend to hind in AA for the rest of the game. Which can make plane kills drop.