You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Solo Defender

12 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,768 posts
12,868 battles

No...not solo warrior.  But the ship that goes to that lone cap....where (if it is uncontested by the enemy) will cap very efficiently and then head to support the rest of the team.  Or, if the cap is contested by a larger force, play the spoiler.  Not a yolo death play.   But cunning defense.  Delay the enemy.  Hamper their efforts.  Keep them off the flank of the team while the team captures and secures the other caps.  

In general, this requires a DD...or a CA that can smoke.

I bring this up, because it flies in the face of the wisdom of going alone.  But as I watch some matches unfold on some maps I can see the solo defender as perhaps being the best strategy for that map and MM makeup.  One player that can hold up and delay a larger force while the rest of the team takes advantage of local superiority elsewhere...that can be a good strategy.

Comments?

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,503 battles

You mean an achievement for the guy who goes D when the whole team is yelling at him to not do so? He ends up getting lucky and taking the cap cause the other team wasn't dumb enough to go D.

Sounds like encouragement to take unnecessary risks.

I'm also not saying I wouldn't like to have something like this, as I'm usually "that guy" who tries to grab a cap like that when the situation presents itself.

But it also seems like a very easy achievement to get unless some sophisticated rules were added to the requirements.

[CAST]
Members
1,154 posts
7,147 battles

I've seen this done and done it myself with great effectiveness.  If the enemy has 1 or 2 players that will willingly charge anyway, it doesn't work.  I've also seen games where 4 or 5 enemy ships were held up by 1 or 2 friendly ships and the rest of our team still got hammered by the remaining enemy ships.  LOL.

[CAST]
Members
1,154 posts
7,147 battles

You can't have an achievement for this.  Too hard to determine the parameters in the game.

[CK5]
Members
780 posts
6,177 battles

It falls under the category of a great idea if it works.  It is one of those "Don't try this at home, kids" tactics that only experienced players should try.  

[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,188 battles

I don't understand what you're proposing. Are you looking to open a discussion on the merits of such a player? Or are you interested in creating an achievement or something for it? 

If it's just a discussion piece, it's been rare in my matches for a ship to use this general strategy and not get deleted early on or be forced to retreat into la-la land, and essentially being no better than an AFK for the first 4-5 minutes of the match. But when it works, it's extremely satisfying for that person and his team. Definitely worth compliments and what-not, but I have no clue how you could ever formally quantify it for an achievement.

What would be cool is a team vote after every battle, where everyone on the winning team has to vote for a match MVP before moving on to their next game. Whoever on the team gets the most votes gets some kind of reward, like 3 signals, to go with a "Match MVP" achievement (this would also kinda solve the essentially useless shenanigans mechanic that is karma, and would better represent a player's significant contributions to victory while simultaneously rewarding him/her.)  

[TF16B]
Members
8,036 posts
16,968 battles
42 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I bring this up, because it flies in the face of the wisdom of going alone.  But as I watch some matches unfold on some maps I can see the solo defender as perhaps being the best strategy for that map and MM makeup.  One player that can hold up and delay a larger force while the rest of the team takes advantage of local superiority elsewhere...that can be a good strategy.

Comments?

More often than not, I see the opposite... 2-3 ships holding off half or more of an enemy team; yet the other 9-10 ships are so utterly incompetent they cant take advantage of their numerical/local superiority on another part of the map....

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,007 battles

I think it would be a neat thing to have, but there's no way to tell the stupid play from the brilliant strategic gamble. 

I've (more than once) managed to pull 3 or more ships and about 3 cycles of aircraft from the enemy carrier by being behind enemy lines and just harassing them. Not even killing any of them, just making them chase me, while the rest of my fleet wipes them out. Then the enemy (after killing me) is way out of position and can't ever catch up. 

Of course, a bad RNG means that you're deleted with no support and no chance of doing anything useful. 

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles

What about just an achievement for an outstanding cap defense?  Like clear skies is set up, get 15 cap defense ribbons and have more than half of all defense ribbons scored by the team?   Edit the number required o suit your requirements for heroism.  

[TBW]
Members
6,308 posts
11,856 battles

What it should be is, the one guy that resets the base, while the rest of the team, is capping their base.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,768 posts
12,868 battles

Sorry about the reference to an achievement.  No, I'm not suggesting  an achievement.  Looking at a discussion on the merits of playing this way.

Obviously it requires someone with the experience to make it work.  Any time one player can delay the enemy in their efforts, especially several enemy units, there is something to be said for the tactic.