Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Why I don't play my Des Moines...

36 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles

...unless there's some mission like the current anniversary missions...

Spoiler

S3MarE.png
4lgUS3.png
d96VfR.png
AWOFDe.png
f1LHbG.png

JRfFej.png

It took me five tries to get 500k credits with a Des Moines...

FIVE. FREAKING. TRIES.

It doesn't matter what everyone else says; I can't make the ship work; which is pathetic; when you consider the reason I got into WoWs is because I wanted to drive one.

Get close; die. Stay farther away; die. Try to find cover and do what many people say; die. Run away screaking like a little girl and hide in a corner; team dies, then I die.

My congenitral inability to develope useful skills, and just as rotten luck; (go somewhere; crickets chirping; do no damage and get griped at; go somewhere else next time, no one in sight, turn a corner, whole enemy team is there, die, do no damage, get griped at...)

I don't play my Des Moines because it's not worth the headaches and frustration that come from not being able to make it perform...

...even after a 105 games in it, (+25 in Co-op,) I still suck so bad in it it hurts...

...time to put it away again until next anniversary I guess.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[-K-]
Supertester
5,148 posts
8,942 battles

Div with a Gearing. That's one of the most potent T10 combos in the game. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Des Moines isn't easy mode, it's a glass cannon, nightmare mode.  It makes up for it with having absolutely hilarious DPM at close/mid range and being a high impact DD hunter.

The only way to get better at playing the Des Moines is playing it.  A lot.  It has arcs that take a lot of practice.  It has absolutely zero armor.  Both of those punish mistakes pretty hard.  You have to develop good game sense and put yourself in the right place at the right time and you will carry games and cause oceans of tears from the red team.

Keep on plugging away at it and it's a very rewarding ship.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 minute ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Div with a Gearing.

But then it is easy mode.  :Smile_trollface:

Ok, not easy mode but having a DD you can rely on is a hell of a team.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
Just now, Grizley said:

But then it is easy mode.  :Smile_trollface:

Ok, not easy mode but having a DD you can rely on is a hell of a team.

Yeah, but that's going away soon anyway, with the smoke changes?

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Even if they put it in all it means is the Gearing/Fletcher drops the smoke earlier so you're further back.  Annoying, because you have to play more passive but it doesn't end it.

Edit:  Also it only has an affect if you're in the smoke.  If you're just behind it, then no effect.  You can be air spotted behind the smoke but... 7.2km fly swatters.  You can also duck in and out of the smoke or go dark. 

Edited by Grizley

[AXANR]
Members
3,359 posts
16,542 battles

I think the reason I've done ok in Des is playing so much of the British CLs. Yes, you get smoke with Brits, but to get a lot out of them you really have to get good at positioning and doing damage without dying even when you arent hiding in smoke. And Des is much tougher than Minotaur, at least when bow tanking (although without the superheal.) A lot of the stuff I picked up learning how to not suck in British CLs carried over to Des Moines. I'm still not great in her, but I'm solidly average.

Edit: don't get me wrong, Minotaur is a stronger ship and much better in most situations IMO. Just the experience helps me get more out of Des.

Edited by poeticmotion

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,777 posts
12,906 battles

It's a tough ship to play for sure.  And it's tier 10 where most players know how to take advantage of any mistake you make.  Glass cannon, fire spitter, DD killer, radar.  All four of those attributes scream "FOCUS ME"!!!!   And from personal experience....you get focused like no other.  Well, maybe not as bad as DDs get focused....but being bigger without smoke...well the result is just as bad or worse.

I'm still learning the ropes.  Some (few) games I've payed the unicum CA player.  Most are an uphill struggle.  And the majority so far...not too good. I suspect it's going to be a good many more games before I can achieve more of the former and less of the latter.  But I can "feel" there is a lot capability in this ship...just a matter of wringing it out.

[MIA-A]
Members
139 posts
7,286 battles
29 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Do you really think the smoke changes are going to effect cruiser gameplay?  Honestly, its 5.9km for cruisers last time I saw.  When the heck are ships that close to you in a Des Moines?    

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
Just now, Thunderstruck2016 said:

Do you really think the smoke changes are going to effect cruiser gameplay?  Honestly, its 5.9km for cruisers last time I saw.  When the heck are ships that close to you in a Des Moines?    

No, they said that's the cruiser average.

Des Moines is 10km.  And honestly, 5.9km?  I love to be that close in my Des Moines, I just prefer that if it's a BB it has it's guns pointing the wrong direction.  Nothing beats a Des Moines at 6km.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Were you using credit boosting items like camos and signal flags? The achievement represents the inclusion of tier 10 permanent camo, which not only has a cost reduction but also a credit bonus.

It did take me a few tries with some very mediocre games on my part, but I did end up getting it with this game using only Zulu (which wasn't even necessary):

5231_40_1505460126.jpg

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

For a second there I thought you got a Double Strike in Des Moines.  I was pretty impressed.  :Smile_trollface:

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,329 posts
10,391 battles
52 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

...unless there's some mission like the current anniversary missions...

Reveal hidden contents

S3MarE.png
4lgUS3.png
d96VfR.png
AWOFDe.png
f1LHbG.png

JRfFej.png

It took me five tries to get 500k credits with a Des Moines...

FIVE. FREAKING. TRIES.

It doesn't matter what everyone else says; I can't make the ship work; which is pathetic; when you consider the reason I got into WoWs is because I wanted to drive one.

Get close; die. Stay farther away; die. Try to find cover and do what many people say; die. Run away screaking like a little girl and hide in a corner; team dies, then I die.

My congenitral inability to develope useful skills, and just as rotten luck; (go somewhere; crickets chirping; do no damage and get griped at; go somewhere else next time, no one in sight, turn a corner, whole enemy team is there, die, do no damage, get griped at...)

I don't play my Des Moines because it's not worth the headaches and frustration that come from not being able to make it perform...

...even after a 105 games in it, (+25 in Co-op,) I still suck so bad in it it hurts...

...time to put it away again until next anniversary I guess.

You have 105 games in it yet 18% main battery hit ratio.  The next most similar ship to it would be the Cleveland and that's at 22% MBH ratio.  You need to work on that first and foremost.  

Go for targets that are closer instead of ones at the limits of your range where you're much less likely to hit.  Focus on improving your target lead and reading what targets are doing to anticipate how you need to change your lead.  It's a ridiculously potent ship and the longer you are left to do work the more deadly you become.

You want to bring that accuracy up to the Mendoza line of 30% with the DM.  The influence you'll be able to project and the damage you'll inflict will drastically increase.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,884 battles

Wait What :cap_wander:   Im reading all this right lol  Such blasphemy about the Des Moines  :)  Yeah what that guy :Smile_great: said makes sense

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
11 minutes ago, Final_Spark said:

Were you using credit boosting items like camos and signal flags? The achievement represents the inclusion of tier 10 permanent camo, which not only has a cost reduction but also a credit bonus.

Signals but not the camo, (though I did use the +50% credits Gamescon camo.) My performance has been so completely pathetic I can't justify spending the doubloons.

[CUTE]
Members
5,155 posts
3,430 battles

I don't have one but it's been explained to me as "Atlanta XL" (i haz Hawtlanta) and I can understand exactly what you're saying if I think about it that way. Stay strong, brother.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
1 minute ago, Business6 said:

You have 105 games in it yet 18% main battery hit ratio.  The next most similar ship to it would be the Cleveland and that's at 22% MBH ratio.  You need to work on that first and foremost.  

Dying no matter what I try hasn't helped any. Also; the last time I played Des Moines was on the order of 15 months ago, (when my aiming was much worse,) not counting Co-op.

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,329 posts
10,391 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Dying no matter what I try hasn't helped any. Also; the last time I played Des Moines was on the order of 15 months ago, (when my aiming was much worse,) not counting Co-op.

Then you need to blow up your minimap and add relevant information to it and work on your positioning.  The DM is all about finding that island that lets you shoot just over it but mostly protects you from getting hit in return.  

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

Or at least a position with a nearby island that you can scoot behind when things get hot.  You can get away with trading shots with anything but a BB at mid range or closer, but once BBs start shooting at you the fun and games are over and you need to find cover fast.

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
41 minutes ago, Grizley said:

No, they said that's the cruiser average.

Des Moines is 10km.  And honestly, 5.9km?  I love to be that close in my Des Moines, I just prefer that if it's a BB it has it's guns pointing the wrong direction.  Nothing beats a Des Moines at 6km.

Hindenberg 

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
12 minutes ago, Business6 said:

Then you need to blow up your minimap and add relevant information to it and work on your positioning.  The DM is all about finding that island that lets you shoot just over it but mostly protects you from getting hit in return.  

Tears of the desert

mountain range

ocean

islands of ice

If WG ever creates high tier maps with better cover the DM will be fun. Right now there is just no way i would pick it over the other tier 10 cruisers.

Edited by SweetRollThief

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

Hindenberg 

At 6km?  Gets pooped on, unless it gets lucky with a torp and then they both die.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
1 hour ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Div with a Gearing. That's one of the most potent T10 combos in the game. 

One, listen to this guy, one of the best players in the game.

Two, watch some Cat on Board youtube videos on how he plays this ship.....will change your life.

Three, don't worry about your back guns, attempting to use them usually opens your gut up to much, just focus on your front guns, sneak around corners slowly.

Four, Islands and cover are not only your friend but the difference between living and dying. Your AA is great, I spec mine with hydro and radar and hug islands and become a no go zone for bad guys

[T8ERS]
Members
40 posts
8,717 battles
1 minute ago, Grizley said:

At 6km?  Gets pooped on, unless it gets lucky with a torp and then they both die.

That has not been my experience.

bounce the AP and torp him. GG EZ

Sign in to follow this