Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

Baltimore - Cap Supporting, AP Spamming, Face Wrecker

15 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

I began the US CA grind early in my WOWS "career" - and very much enjoyed the early tier grind - then got to Pensacola (pre-buff) and couldn't make it work for me.

After the Pensa detection buff, I decided to go back to it - and though I still found the ship to be a bit of a chore - am I ever glad I did.  The NO was a blast - and the Baltimore ranks right up there with my favorite ships in the game (along with the Fujin, Murmansk and Bis/Tirp).

Its a ship that is almost never bottom tier (unless the player pop for high tiers is very high) - but can still be a game-changer when it is  And in those sweet, sweet matches where she is high tier - can afford to be played right up at the front line, taking a very aggressive stance - thanks to her armor, workable heal (especially with the 20% flag), cap stealing radar and face-wrecking AP.

I have Stevey Seagall commanding and find his perks to be quite complimentary (quicker turret traverse, and ability to switch ammo types in 2 seconds on the Balty) to the US CA line.

Anyway - I had a couple of fun games in it the other day, and thought I'd upload them to my Youtube channel - I hope you enjoy them!

[AXANR]
Members
3,357 posts
16,525 battles

Yup. I did the same thing...USN cruisers were the first line I climbed, and gave up and ragesold New Orleans halfway through. Picked it up again a few months ago and had a ball with NO, Baltimore, and now Des Moines. Despite a lingering poor reputation, they're pretty bad [edited].

[WOLF2]
Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
On 9/15/2017 at 10:37 AM, poeticmotion said:

Yup. I did the same thing...USN cruisers were the first line I climbed, and gave up and ragesold New Orleans halfway through. Picked it up again a few months ago and had a ball with NO, Baltimore, and now Des Moines. Despite a lingering poor reputation, they're pretty bad [edited].

Agreed - I was put off a bit, by all the complaints I had read about the ineffectiveness of the higher tier US cruisers.  However - I've found those complaints to be greatly exaggerated, to say the least!  I'm very much looking forward to the DM - with the right commander skills, the special module for radar use, and played the right way - I can see how she can be a ship that dictates the outcome of the matches, perhaps more than any other T10 currently in the game.  

On 9/15/2017 at 8:37 PM, Capt_Sassypants said:

The NO is pretty good, but it's bottom tier all the time so it's pretty much canon fodder for tier 10 ships.  Good for dd hunting though.  Can't wait to get the Baltimore.

I found the Balty to be a very large step up from the NO - and I enjoyed the NO very much.  The extra armor and heal give her the ability to stay in the fight longer, and to take that fight right to the front line.  For anyone that enjoys playing their ships aggressively, the Balty is a pretty fun (and effective) ship to play - I think you are going to enjoy her!

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,420 battles

Just unlocked Baltimore...only won 1 out of 5 games.

I don't think I will like her just as I didn't like NO. Gonna be a long grind ahead.

The ship just like all USN CAs is too map and teammate dependent.

Balti.PNG

Members
79 posts
2,958 battles
3 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Baltimore is much better fully upgraded.  Add the special radar mod and you get 49 seconds of radar.

Is there some special radar module?

I am digging the NO, more and more as I near the end of the grind.  I am really looking forward to the Baltimore, but not the 92k of modules... What order do you recommend?  Hull, then guns or fire control?  

Members
79 posts
2,958 battles

Sweet!  Would love to win that.  I got a super smoke generator in a SC.  Would much rather have gotten the radar... 

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,884 battles
11 hours ago, Teephud said:

Sweet!  Would love to win that.  I got a super smoke generator in a SC.  Would much rather have gotten the radar... 

Smoke gen is amazing in the Perth, you can cruise around for 2 minutes at 1/4 speed shooting everyone.

Members
79 posts
2,958 battles
4 hours ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Smoke gen is amazing in the Perth, you can cruise around for 2 minutes at 1/4 speed shooting everyone.

Suppose now I gotta buy a Perth...

Members
416 posts

I've only played a few games in the Baltimore, but so far have found it's AP to be way overstated in terms of effectiveness. Just got out of a game in which an ever-so-slightly angled Zao deflected several salvos. Salvos into the superstructure of BBs also were fairly ineffective in terms of damage. It has radar, but even after upgrading the guns it still can't really contest caps. As was mentioned in an earlier comment, this ship seems incredibly map-dependent in order to be successful. If you can't camp behind an island for half the game, you're going to get wrecked.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,523 posts
24,625 battles
7 hours ago, guns_at_last_light said:

I've only played a few games in the Baltimore, but so far have found it's AP to be way overstated in terms of effectiveness. Just got out of a game in which an ever-so-slightly angled Zao deflected several salvos. Salvos into the superstructure of BBs also were fairly ineffective in terms of damage. It has radar, but even after upgrading the guns it still can't really contest caps. As was mentioned in an earlier comment, this ship seems incredibly map-dependent in order to be successful. If you can't camp behind an island for half the game, you're going to get wrecked.

I was pleasantly surprised by the New Orleans. So much that I kept her after moving up to the Baltimore. 

The T9 feels much bigger and kludgy. NOLA is really agile. 

Playing Balitimore like a giant Cleveland seems to work OK. Don't be first. Look for places you can fire from with cover. Open water is BAD, although I dragged a Hindenburg half way across the top of North earlier today - kiting and setting fires along the way. Still, the grind through Baltimore is going to be hard work. I just hope that the Des Moines is worth it.  

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,047 battles

Baltimore is decent. You do end up switching between ammo types alot. You do also need to use terrain to keep from getting focused. I do have the super radar module, which allows 5 salves while active. No UK cruiser can survive that, and DDs had best run. The HE wrecks Khabarovsk even.

Best of all once you get used to it, Des Moines is just insane. 

Members
3,296 posts
7,973 battles

Baltimore is a power-creeped piece of sh!t.  The worst tier 9 anything I have or ever had.  My main tier 9 and 10 cruiser points of reference are Roon and Hindenburg.  Roon is certainly better.  Baltimore's turrets are too slow, ROF is so, so and she's stupid squishy.  At this point, even New Orleans is better - far better.  New Orleans is/was fun!  Same with Kutuzov. For their tiers, Cleveland blows Baltimore away and if I want to play hug the island all day, I might as well play my Atlanta.  I have nearly enough XP on Baltimore to get DM, but frankly I don't much care to get her for other than the purpose of completing the line. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Sign in to follow this