You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Wondering if I'm picking up a bad habit

16 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

Playing the Clemson (I also play IJN and German dds at the same Tier).  I was struggling at first but now I seem to be getting the hang of this little knife fighter (see attached).

I've noticed that I'm falling into a pattern.  As I approach an open area after coming around cover, I fire off torps and then come in behind.  It's not that I think I'm going to hit anything, it's just to clear the area of anything that I haven't seen yet.

It's working at this Tier, but I wonder if it will be a give-away of my position at the higher tiers.

Any thoughts?

Capture.JPG

[TDD]
Members
878 posts
7,888 battles

I do the same I just usually alter course after firing I rarely get surprised It works good with long range torps at high tiers and I have gotten his on cruisers and blown unaware DDS away with firing blind like this. Just make sure no friendlies are in any position to run into your blind fire and you should be good

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles

This will not work at higher tiers for a different reason: Torpedo reload at higher tiers (5+) are far to long to be wasted on gambles.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,040 posts
16,978 battles

Fast little reloader... but you don't wan't to get caught while rleloading at higher tiers... (ninja'd by Big Lou)

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,267 posts

Always keep a rack back... if you have say 3 racks of torpedoes, fire two. When they reload fire one. You then got two in the rack... alternating like this gets the reds on their toes

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
12 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

This will not work at higher tiers for a different reason: Torpedo reload at higher tiers (5+) are far to long to be wasted on gambles.

Disagree.  Some of my best dev strikes have occurred on wild gambles! 

[TDD]
Members
878 posts
7,888 battles
20 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

thats how I sank my very first Yamato. man did he [edited] in chat

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles
20 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

@AnimaL21, I am not suggesting that firing blind around corners will not occasionally work... and work well (why I used the word "gamble"). I am simply stating that, IMHO, the OP would be better served thinking and planning where to place torpedoes and not getting into a "bad habit" of spamming torpedoes when coming around blind corners. 

Members
1,012 posts
12,883 battles

As others have pointed out it works with the quicker loading lower tier ships. At the upper tiers you could find yourself without your main weapon for a minute to a minute and a half and for DDs facing CAs or BBs that's an eternity.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Spam'em when you've got them at lower tiers.  I'd recommend it in ships with low reloads on the torps but high concealment as well.  Not going to be using the guns too much anyway, can stay out of detection of enemy DD's and take our time waiting for them to come back.  I often do it into high traffic areas early not so much to get damage or kills, but as a measure to force enemy ships to turn and evade, hopefully open themselves up for broadside shots from the friendly team. 

Plus it's always fun to get lucky on a blind torp once in awhile.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
1 hour ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

@AnimaL21, I am not suggesting that firing blind around corners will not occasionally work... and work well (why I used the word "gamble"). I am simply stating that, IMHO, the OP would be better served thinking and planning where to place torpedoes and not getting into a "bad habit" of spamming torpedoes when coming around blind corners. 

Certainly not taken that way.  In fact, what you suggest is probably the wise and best advised choice.    In low or mid tier though, DEFINITELY wing torps through traffic areas. 

I am probably above average in the mid tiers with torpedo attacks.  With harekaze finally being what i feel is a viable choice for IJN in high tier I more recently started playing upper tier.  In the last month I've found it almost impossible to plan a torpedo attack in t8+.   I would almost say i've been far more successful just winging torpedoes out there in a likely high traffic location than I have watching, waiting, planning, adjusting, and carrying out attacks.    I am typically not off target with them, but they get juked more often than not.  Maybe its just the reaction time with the sight range of those torps that is throwing me off.

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,725 battles
3 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

I would almost say i've been far more successful just winging torpedoes out there in a likely high traffic location

@AnimaL21 From my experience, map for map, the "traffic lanes" differ based on tier. The meta of tier 4-6 differs greatly from 6-8 or 9-10 even on the same maps. IMHO this is mostly dictated by the use of radar and longer distance hydro which is not available in the lower tiers. 

Members
139 posts
2,312 battles

I think the more you play, and the higher tier you get, you'll spend more time playing the same maps over and over again.  So you'll learn to recognize tendencies of the opposing teams.  As a result of this, you'll still be firing blind at times, but they won't be wild guess gambles.  They'll be calculated decisions based on the high chance of enemies moving through certain areas.   I do this fairly often in my high tier DDs and it works out.  BBs and CAs tend to take the same path through a map every time.

Members
810 posts
7,099 battles

In general yes it's a bad habit. In the lower tiers it's fine. But in the high tiers as WidochMeirker said they'll be less wild guess/gambles and more calculated "maybe/area denial" torps.( or so you hope) Reloads get longer so you want to be somewhat sure you're going to get a return on your investment when you spend a torp cool down. 

Edited by Vekta408