You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrShermanTanker

Insta Kill Glitch?

43 comments in this topic

Members
63 posts
565 battles

Was in a Caledon the other day, 2 ships per team left, my teamate and both enemies were afk, but when i went to get 2 free kills one of the enemy afk ships (A destroyer named Umikaze or something) awakened and both of us started fighting. He first fired Torpedoes at me and missed all, and my Torpedoes didnt hit him either.

With both of us reloading Torps, we went into a gunfight and i couldnt hit him cause i panicked, having never fought a Destroyer so close before and he set me on fire and was about to kill me with his guns so in desperation i fired 1 single shot from the front cannon (was bow on so other 4 couldnt turn to bear on him) and what happened next was he went from 10000+ Health to 0 in a single shot and his ship split in half. From what i know only multiple Torpedoes can split a ship in half, not guns, and that Caledons Guns only can do 2000+ per Citadel Hit. Did anyone else get this lucky glitch?

[PSP]
Members
6,041 posts
8,583 battles

Detonation, probably. I remember once I detonated at full health from a single shell fired by a destroyer. The guy actually apologized for killing me so quickly.

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
24 minutes ago, MrShermanTanker said:

(A destroyer named Umikaze or something) awakened and both of us started fighting

ah, that is a good old bot glitch haha

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles
26 minutes ago, MrShermanTanker said:

what happened next was he went from 10000+ Health to 0 in a single shot and his ship split in half. 

Yep, fun and engaging game mechanics called "detonation"

Members
63 posts
565 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's when ammunition in your magazines gets hit and this happens:

oooo damn... The place where the Shells for the Guns are stored get hit... That really must have hurt

Well where are these Magazines located? Me want to 1 shot full Health Ships :)

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
487 posts
8,355 battles

Wait till you get further up the tiers. The other day I got a detonation on a nearly full health Yamato from a lucky single torpedo hit from my Shimakaze. Then again he shouldn't have got himself in a position where he was less than 10 KM from no less than 3 enemy DD's.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,055 posts
7,611 battles
9 minutes ago, MrShermanTanker said:

oooo damn... The place where the Shells for the Guns are stored get hit... That really must have hurt

Typically beneath the guns at or below the waterline.

Members
417 posts
12,490 battles

When a detonation happens, it's an achievement that causes a system message to appear in the chat panel, so you'll always know when it occurs.

Members
17,785 posts
5,084 battles
14 minutes ago, MrShermanTanker said:

Heh, don't get too excited, it's more of a luck thing. (of course you do have to hit the right spot)

The average player gets blown up like that less than 1 out of every 100 matches. I've got 3600ish games, and only had it happen to me 25 times.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,212 posts
7,638 battles

Not too mention there is a flag that can supposedly prevent Detonation entirely that you get ten of after being Det'd. I say supposedly because I have gotten Detonated while flying it ONCE. Could've just been a glitch or something.

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
On 15/09/2017 at 4:48 AM, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Ever heard of the Hood?

Yeah, it's this thing that is completely irrelevant to this game except for it's name and appearance.

[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,375 battles
3 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Not too mention there is a flag that can supposedly prevent Detonation entirely that you get ten of after being Det'd. I say supposedly because I have gotten Detonated while flying it ONCE. Could've just been a glitch or something.

Do you have video proof? -100% makes chance 0. 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,212 posts
7,638 battles
1 hour ago, CylonRed said:

Devastating Strike not Detonation is what happened.

He said he fired a single shot. Devastating Strike is any attack that kills an enemy with more than half their health. What happened in the scenario being described is a Detonation.

Members
3,412 posts
6,072 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

He said he fired a single shot. Devastating Strike is any attack that kills an enemy with more than half their health. What happened in the scenario being described is a Detonation.

Seeing as how the flag gives -100% the ONLY other thing that could have happened to you (I responded to your post) is Devastating Strike and not Detonation.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,212 posts
7,638 battles
3 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Seeing as how the flag gives -100% the ONLY other thing that could have happened to you (I responded to your post) is Devastating Strike and not Detonation.

I got the 10 flags for being Det'd so that's proof enough for me.

[POI--]
Members
171 posts
1,989 battles
On 15/9/2017 at 1:27 PM, MrShermanTanker said:

I'm going from memory so don't take it too much from granted, BUT every time the magazines are damaged (either by a direct hit or by the explosion's area of effect, especially for HE) there's a chance of detonation. It starts at 1%, but it gets higher the more damaged the magazine module is, up to a very decent chance with the magazine entirely depleted of HP (can't exactly remember said max chance).

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,090 battles
On 9/15/2017 at 3:11 AM, MrShermanTanker said:

Not a glitch? Then whats that?

It's an event when your ammo magazine detonates, there are people who defend it as a valid mechanic when all it does is reward a lucky shot that is better rewarded with different mechanics. 

Magazines are generally directly under the guns, no you cannot reliably aim for them except in stupid close battles

Members
63 posts
565 battles
7 hours ago, Raptor_alcor said:

It's an event when your ammo magazine detonates, there are people who defend it as a valid mechanic when all it does is reward a lucky shot that is better rewarded with different mechanics. 

Magazines are generally directly under the guns, no you cannot reliably aim for them except in stupid close battles

From what i see anything that can happen in the real world to Warships is generally a valid mechanic :P

10 hours ago, WeissRaben_2 said:

I'm going from memory so don't take it too much from granted, BUT every time the magazines are damaged (either by a direct hit or by the explosion's area of effect, especially for HE) there's a chance of detonation. It starts at 1%, but it gets higher the more damaged the magazine module is, up to a very decent chance with the magazine entirely depleted of HP (can't exactly remember said max chance).

Logically speaking AP should have a better chance then, as it explodes after penetration and that would mean exploding next to the rack where the Shells are stored, and overpenetrating through the magazine if it dosent explode would have quite adverse effects too... a ricochet wouldnt do so much while HE exploding and getting to the Magazine would kinda Detonate it instantly... i dunno...

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
3 minutes ago, MrShermanTanker said:

Logically speaking AP should have a better chance then, as it explodes after penetration and that would mean exploding next to the rack where the Shells are stored, and overpenetrating through the magazine if it dosent explode would have quite adverse effects too... a ricochet wouldnt do so much while HE exploding and getting to the Magazine would kinda Detonate it instantly... i dunno...

Then your logic would be wrong.

Goes to show you how utterly unhistorical WoWS detonations are.

Due to how this game is programmed, the most common way for a ship to detonate is NOT with a direct AP penetration of the magazines, but rather, with splash damage, either from an HE shell, HE bomb, or torpedo.

While examples of torpedo caused detonations are fairly common, I can not find a single instance of an HE shell detonating a ship by lighting off an actual magazine. HE shells lighting off torpedoes, sure, but in WoWS, damage to torpedo mounts can not trigger a detonation.

Detonations in WoWS also leaves out the single most common cause of detonations I could find - internal fires.

Anyone who supports detonations in WoWS because of "realism" is simply throwing out some nonsense and hoping that no one actually checks them.

PS: If you further look at why ships detonate, another common cause you'll see is that human error on the part of the crew is blamed as a potential cause, i.e., leaving magazine doors open so that they can move shells and powder more quickly, like at Jutland. Those battlecruisers didn't detonate because they were vulnerable as designed, they detonated because ther crew used the ships outside of their design specs, and let external fires spread to the magazines.

That is to say, in a game like WoWS, which completely ignores the crew, examples like Jutland are inadmissible as historical examples of detonatons.

[TCEG]
Members
160 posts
2,661 battles
2 hours ago, issm said:

Then your logic would be wrong.

Goes to show you how utterly unhistorical WoWS detonations are.

Due to how this game is programmed, the most common way for a ship to detonate is NOT with a direct AP penetration of the magazines, but rather, with splash damage, either from an HE shell, HE bomb, or torpedo.

While examples of torpedo caused detonations are fairly common, I can not find a single instance of an HE shell detonating a ship by lighting off an actual magazine. HE shells lighting off torpedoes, sure, but in WoWS, damage to torpedo mounts can not trigger a detonation.

Detonations in WoWS also leaves out the single most common cause of detonations I could find - internal fires.

Anyone who supports detonations in WoWS because of "realism" is simply throwing out some nonsense and hoping that no one actually checks them.

PS: If you further look at why ships detonate, another common cause you'll see is that human error on the part of the crew is blamed as a potential cause, i.e., leaving magazine doors open so that they can move shells and powder more quickly, like at Jutland. Those battlecruisers didn't detonate because they were vulnerable as designed, they detonated because ther crew used the ships outside of their design specs, and let external fires spread to the magazines.

That is to say, in a game like WoWS, which completely ignores the crew, examples like Jutland are inadmissible as historical examples of detonatons.

wasnt it the hood that had the open magazine doors?

Members
341 posts
1,905 battles
On 9/15/2017 at 3:39 AM, Snargfargle said:

Detonation, probably. I remember once I detonated at full health from a single shell fired by a destroyer. The guy actually apologized for killing me so quickly.

I detonated a T5 DD when I was in a Japanese T4 DD. He was full health. I landed a single HE shell.

I had to apologize.