You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
abyssofthetriffid

Graf zeppelin test 2 is a complete disaster of epic fail.

29 comments in this topic

[LHG]
Members
1,620 posts
4,887 battles

This is, perhaps, why it's called a Test.

Tests are not epic disasters, they are tests to determine what does and does not work.  If this is indeed something that isn't working then the test is a brilliant success as now the developers have data on what does and does not work.  

I mean, honestly, do we absolutely have to complain about everything? 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 2

[BOC]
Members
139 posts
6,713 battles

Is there an official feedback thread? This specific test is a bit special, and the feedback should be focused someplace. That said, more changes are needed, so I'd like to give specific feedback in the right place.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,540 posts
6,689 battles
2 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

I mean, honestly, do we absolutely have to complain about everything? 

Of course we do. 

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

I like test 1 put those aircraft on the current Graf Zeppelin hull and add the HE switch out in game and call it done.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles
3 hours ago, Unsinge said:

Is there an official feedback thread? This specific test is a bit special, and the feedback should be focused someplace. That said, more changes are needed, so I'd like to give specific feedback in the right place.

Not that I am aware of outside of the Facebook one. As far as this forum this is it. I created this topic to keep the forum up to date and owners that don't want to go to Facebook updated. But the official place for feedback is Facebook 

Edited by GreyFox78659

Members
64 posts

Hi,

To be honest, I am not a great CV player at all, but I love the GZ. I tried both of the test versions and did not like either one. First of all, the fighters melted (and I mean melted), and as a result, they could not support my bombers. I prefer the HE based DB layout because I found it gave me more flexibility to support my team...cap reset, going after DD's, etc. The AP DB is great against BB's, but it was very hard to hit with them, but to be honest, I have lousy aiming skills. Nevertheless, a lot of other people on the Facebook GZ testing page (not all) said they had similar difficulties.  As has been said before, the fighters definitely need a buff, and I think the DBs could use a little bit more as well, but not hardly on the same level as the fighters. 

Also, I had originally turned down the offer to participate in the testing (not an experienced CV player), but WG was nice enough to still invite me. For that, I really appreciate them including me for the testing of the GZ. 

Lastly, I really like to support my team, and where the AP DB does a lot of damage to BBs, which is supporting the team, the HE DB gave me, the humble noob CV player, a better time with resetting Caps, and going after other type of ships other than just BB's. I believe that they will find the right balance of loud-outs to appeal to the different players and the testing and input from the player base is a very positive decision on their part. Now, if only they can add an audio file to the DBs of the Jericho Trumpet....

Have a great weekend everyone.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,540 posts
6,689 battles
5 minutes ago, Talos3567 said:

Hi,

To be honest, I am not a great CV player at all, but I love the GZ. I tried both of the test versions and did not like either one. First of all, the fighters melted (and I mean melted), and as a result, they could not support my bombers. I prefer the HE based DB layout because I found it gave me more flexibility to support my team...cap reset, going after DD's, etc. The AP DB is great against BB's, but it was very hard to hit with them, but to be honest, I have lousy aiming skills. Nevertheless, a lot of other people on the Facebook GZ testing page (not all) said they had similar difficulties.  As has been said before, the fighters definitely need a buff, and I think the DBs could use a little bit more as well, but not hardly on the same level as the fighters. 

Also, I had originally turned down the offer to participate in the testing (not an experienced CV player), but WG was nice enough to still invite me. For that, I really appreciate them including me for the testing of the GZ. 

Lastly, I really like to support my team, and where the AP DB does a lot of damage to BBs, which is supporting the team, the HE DB gave me, the humble noob CV player, a better time with resetting Caps, and going after other type of ships other than just BB's. I believe that they will find the right balance of loud-outs to appeal to the different players and the testing and input from the player base is a very positive decision on their part. Now, if only they can add an audio file to the DBs of the Jericho Trumpet....

Have a great weekend everyone.

Swap out your captain for one with at least 10 pts, make sure you have a point in "dogfighting expert" and 4pts in "Air Supremacy" to give you a major buff for GZTESTv1. Look for opportunities to ambush enemy fighters with a strafing run. "Strafing" (hint) is a key technique to making the most of your fighters, and lets you beat superior odds.

GZ1 fighters have been given a stealth buff, if you remember to spec "dogfighting expert" (hint with a sledge hammer)/

A lot of GZ testers are having issues, because they have not spent a lot of time in WOWS learning the basic CV skill set. This means that even though GZ has to be the easiest t8 CV for a novice carrier player, it still has a steep learning curve in random battles.

I say all this as I am myself still learning!

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,456 battles

Just got power back in S. Florida last nigh so only got a chance to play once on each ship in Co-op. Did MUCH better in GZv2 then GZv1. That small circle is a God send. I'm nervous with no HE option, that DD hunting will be no more. That was the best part of the GZ imho. Will have to do more testing in Randoms over the weekend.

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,837 battles

GZ2 is honestly just to inaccurate with the AP bombs. It works with HE due to the splash and the fact that hitting anywhere is usually good enough for fire. AP bombs much like AP shells require accurate aim to do any real work. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,175 battles
10 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

I have never seen it so bad vs the enterprise wow test 2 is a disaster.

Hide contents

Hi you do know what a test is right???????? Since you don't i will some this up quite nicely.

wwhIoDu.gif

• Cool 1

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
50 minutes ago, Grathew said:

GZ2 is honestly just to inaccurate with the AP bombs. It works with HE due to the splash and the fact that hitting anywhere is usually good enough for fire. AP bombs much like AP shells require accurate aim to do any real work. 

I haven't played it, only played in matches with them... But yesterday I saw several matches in a row where the GZ2 scored 30k damage from AP dive bombers (granted all three DBs grouped together in a single strike), and BBs were being deleted left and right. Seriously, that's just wrong. The first one I saw did 30k damage (again 3 DBs all attacking at once), the second attack (again all 3 DBs attacking together)scored something in the neighborhood of 28k (I don't recall what the others did). Noticed they greatly reduced the air time of the AP drops, which only made it even easier to hit with.

And for the love of WG, please either remove strafing or make it used against ships NOT planes. I try my best not to use strafing when I play CVs, because it is just plain wrong for 1 fighter squadron to blow away 5 enemy squadrons in half a second.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
377 posts
3,997 battles

constantly using straffing shows a lack of skill. its the usual "hurr durr i win" button that most people seem to want.

• Cool 1

Members
64 posts
2 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Swap out your captain for one with at least 10 pts, make sure you have a point in "dogfighting expert" and 4pts in "Air Supremacy" to give you a major buff for GZTESTv1. Look for opportunities to ambush enemy fighters with a strafing run. "Strafing" (hint) is a key technique to making the most of your fighters, and lets you beat superior odds.

GZ1 fighters have been given a stealth buff, if you remember to spec "dogfighting expert" (hint with a sledge hammer)/

A lot of GZ testers are having issues, because they have not spent a lot of time in WOWS learning the basic CV skill set. This means that even though GZ has to be the easiest t8 CV for a novice carrier player, it still has a steep learning curve in random battles.

I say all this as I am myself still learning!

Thank you, great advice. I did try to stafe, but it had no great effect. However, if I move my 14 point GS captain to GS1 and GS2, then that should help. I was not sure if WG wanted us to keep the captains they gave us as not to not skew the data. However, I still want to test them, but not impair my team''s chances to win-more than I am already :) I will give it a try with your advice. Thank you.

[BOC]
Members
139 posts
6,713 battles

Well, I am not posting on Facebook (or even using it). I'd rather not give FB my entire friends list, life, etc.  Anyhow, here is my feedback:

1. GZ Test 1 has T7 planes, not sure why, but the stats look the same as the T8 planes on the Test 2 ship. Both sets of fighters suck. They hardly kill anything unless the enemy planes are stock (un-upgraded). I strafed a Lexington's fully upgraded fighters and only downed 1 fighter on a full strafe run. Meanwhile, the Lex used 1 fighter group to take out 3 of my fighter groups in succession (normal dogfighting), and he only lost 2 planes after my 3 attempts (I lost all my fighters in those groups).

2. The AP bomb target markers are too general (this is a problem on all CV) - I've done 25k dmg to a BB and then 840 dmg to a cruiser because all the bombs missed. I've completely missed several runs with both test ships. When this is the only damage that I can do (as GZ has no torp planes), this is really frustrating. Maybe the feedback is that CV's need a better way to aim - let me see where the bombs will go (dots in the marked area).

3. minor issue: The ship itself has nice secondaries but really needs about 10 more points to base AA to keep it competitive. Other CV can easily get 20 more AA (rating) - but the GF winds up with less AA than a Cleveland (T6).

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,540 posts
6,689 battles
25 minutes ago, Unsinge said:

Well, I am not posting on Facebook (or even using it). I'd rather not give FB my entire friends list, life, etc.  Anyhow, here is my feedback:

1. GZ Test 1 has T7 planes, not sure why, but the stats look the same as the T8 planes on the Test 2 ship. Both sets of fighters suck. They hardly kill anything unless the enemy planes are stock (un-upgraded). I strafed a Lexington's fully upgraded fighters and only downed 1 fighter on a full strafe run. Meanwhile, the Lex used 1 fighter group to take out 3 of my fighter groups in succession (normal dogfighting), and he only lost 2 planes after my 3 attempts (I lost all my fighters in those groups).

2. The AP bomb target markers are too general (this is a problem on all CV) - I've done 25k dmg to a BB and then 840 dmg to a cruiser because all the bombs missed. I've completely missed several runs with both test ships. When this is the only damage that I can do (as GZ has no torp planes), this is really frustrating. Maybe the feedback is that CV's need a better way to aim - let me see where the bombs will go (dots in the marked area).

3. minor issue: The ship itself has nice secondaries but really needs about 10 more points to base AA to keep it competitive. Other CV can easily get 20 more AA (rating) - but the GF winds up with less AA than a Cleveland (T6).

t7 = check your capt skills. it is a buff if used correctly.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,456 battles

After playing about 10 matches or so last night in the GZ2. I find it to be not as useful as the original GZ build. The AP bombs in the tight circle are nice on BB's of = or lower tier. However once you start going against Tier IX and X AA they just cant get thru the AA. In addition the AP is USELESS against DD's. With the HE loadout in a Tier X match I still felt like I could contribute. I knew I couldn't go up against BB's and CA AA, but I could harass DD's thanks to the tight circle and HE damage. Then after the BB/CA had been weakend a bit, I could continue to damage via fire. Fighters still need help evening running AS.  I still state a mix of HE/AP DB Squadrons (adding a 4th DB Squadron) and a slight fighter buff would make the GZ truly enjoyable to play with out being OP'd

2 Squads BF109 (Buffed)

4 Squads Stuka (2 HE, 2 AP)

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,837 battles
22 hours ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I haven't played it, only played in matches with them... But yesterday I saw several matches in a row where the GZ2 scored 30k damage from AP dive bombers (granted all three DBs grouped together in a single strike), and BBs were being deleted left and right. Seriously, that's just wrong. The first one I saw did 30k damage (again 3 DBs all attacking at once), the second attack (again all 3 DBs attacking together)scored something in the neighborhood of 28k (I don't recall what the others did). Noticed they greatly reduced the air time of the AP drops, which only made it even easier to hit with.

And for the love of WG, please either remove strafing or make it used against ships NOT planes. I try my best not to use strafing when I play CVs, because it is just plain wrong for 1 fighter squadron to blow away 5 enemy squadrons in half a second.

With GZ test 1 I score 50k to 80k damage on tier 10 battleships cause the drop speed, accuracy and better pen. Which puts it close to torpedo damage IMO. But I don't think the second GZ Test can do that with out a lot of RNG coupled with the fact that you don't get HE bombs on either means that unless we get a 2AP 2HE bomber load out then I'll take GZ HE or GZ Test 1 anyday. 

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
175 posts
2,456 battles
22 minutes ago, Grathew said:

With GZ test 1 I score 50k to 80k damage on tier 10 battleships cause the drop speed, accuracy and better pen. Which puts it close to torpedo damage IMO. But I don't think the second GZ Test can do that with out a lot of RNG coupled with the fact that you don't get HE bombs on either means that unless we get a 2AP 2HE bomber load out then I'll take GZ HE or GZ Test 1 anyday. 

I'll have to play more with gz1. But I agree with you on gz2. HE really needs to be a option.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,540 posts
6,689 battles
1 hour ago, Grathew said:

The test versions have deliberately removed HE to force players to experiement with two extremes of AP, they are not intended as examples of what may be released in game for real. I am not sure many people testing the GZ alternatives get this.

HE will remain with the release version, whatever. As will all other base stats, unless improved. Nothing will be nerfed.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,540 posts
6,689 battles
28 minutes ago, Not_Your_Average_Potato said:

I hope they will get it fixed or at least be competitive.  Cause that will be my next cv on my list to get. 

It is perfectly competitve for random battles. But if you need a CV for the next season of ranked, no it isn't. You would be better in either a Shokaku or an Enterprise/

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles
20 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

It is perfectly competitve for random battles. But if you need a CV for the next season of ranked, no it isn't. You would be better in either a Shokaku or an Enterprise/

Nice.  Well I guess it will take some one before they release the final version.  I do enjoy the Shokaku and the Enterprise.  But so far I really like the Enterprise more maybe because it still has fresh paint.