You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CorvetteLTx

Detection ranges being looked at?

12 comments in this topic

[SEC_8]
Members
12 posts
12,798 battles

I noticed several (meaning a LOT), that even though I have very low detect-ability(with a 5.8km detection range) and my ships built for stealth, that I am seen before the enemy ships are with much worse ranges. So when MM creates the matches, I see their detection ranges with compares before game start, and then in game, it usually doesn't work as seen. Example, I was in one recently where the enemy ship saw me first at 4.9km in the clear for all of us, and I didn't see his until he and then others immediately started firing on me after that detection and many were close. His detection was almost 7km in his specs. This happens an awful lot, where I am supposedly not detected by radar or sonar in the clear, and they get closer to me than their stated detection ranges in open seas and I not see anything until they start firing on me. Can we get somebody to explain that or look into that. When discussing this, I find it happens to a lot of players. Also I noticed that when coming around an island, they get around it a good bit and see me first, even in battleships, before I see their ships in a DD. This can't be right. I just wanted it known to the developers so it could be looked at.

Also, I notice MM has an issue with assigning teams, or at least with a radar balance. I am constantly 85%+ in battles where the other team is 3 to 6 to 1 in radar ships. I understand it's part of the game, and needs to be there, but can you publish, not the algorithm, but the characteristics and what is looked at in deciding how MM tries to balance the layout of teams? It appears to need some adjusting in some areas as it makes for quick games with those odds. I like the game, I just want to understand the issues and considerations that go into creating matches, and why it's a done the way it is. When the balance is awesome, then it comes down to not only skill, but as in all of them, positioning and layout of where each is. Best wishes, keep the good work flowing. 

Edited by CorvetteLTx
  • Cool 1

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,435 battles

If he didn't spot you til 4.9, he was coming out of smoke. That's the only explanation I can think of. That would also be a valid reason why the team opened up on you when you spotted him. You lit at the same time.

As far as the 85+ goes, and no offence meant, but I don''t buy it.

Members
417 posts
12,490 battles

I think at most MM tries to match ship classes as best it can based on who's queuing in what at the moment. Things like radar, DFAA, etc etc aren't taken into account or balanced per team. The only thing that will always be balanced per team are CVs.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,711 posts
14,567 battles
28 minutes ago, CorvetteLTx said:

I see their detection ranges with compares before game start

Loading screen stats used to be, but are no longer accurate since many many patches ago.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,766 posts
6,737 battles
13 minutes ago, _hat_ said:

If he didn't spot you til 4.9, he was coming out of smoke.

~4.9k sounds like hydro detection to me. Probably a KM DD sitting in smoke or behind terrain.

Yes, replay would be good. But I don't think we'll see it.

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,435 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

~4.9k sounds like hydro detection to me. Probably a KM DD sitting in smoke or behind terrain.

I concur.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
188 posts
5,463 battles

The stats on the loading screen don't represent what the captain skills are, so as a rule of thumb add 5 to other dds concealment.

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles

I am bothered by the fact some BBs have better concealment than many cruisers, same tier wise or even by comparing size of the ships

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

What you see for each ship i don't believe takes into account Commander skills.

It should only show the ships upgrades compared to yours.

• Cool 1

Members
1,044 posts
8,288 battles

it does take into account final stats of the ship but you have to wait until the game fully loads. if your computer and internet fast enough you will see it before game starts but otherwise it will just show stock ship stats without modules and captain.

[SEC_8]
Members
12 posts
12,798 battles

1. On the ship detection, it wasn't coming from behind an island or out of smoke, it was just crazy and has happened a lot more than one time. I would suspect internet lag but I have a 50mb connection and the pings are in the 32-36ms range, pretty good.

2. Since posting the remarks above, I have, and the clan has, noticed that the ratio is better now for the number of radar ships on each side. But we also noticed it when it was just crazy. Another reason I wanted to see what was taken into account by mm. I suspect a tweak or two was done for that area since it was posted. 

These are just observations. Since I am a past programmer, I can see how easy some of this would be to do for setting up a game, and what it might entail. I try and keep an open mind on the issues we've seen, (like before deep water torps, torps passing thru and out the other side of my DD without touching it. And they were done both from ships and aircraft different times with time to arm distances. Very strange but random too, nothing to show why it might have happened. As far as recording, I would love to and have TBs of space to save to, but what would be a good game recorder for that purpose?  I'd like GOOD suggestions please. Best wishes and enjoy, I still do and love where they are going with many areas of the game, and Thank You wargaming for the fun Halloween senarios and  the ones you continue to publish. I have talked to so many that enjoy them, and your efforts should be commended. 

"Being too close to a friendly ship can be a LOT worse than being too far away from it". Leave your teammates room to turn, shoot, and fire torps if need be.

Edited by CorvetteLTx