You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

What do you do when you get exposed at mid range?

9 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

Playing the Isokaze with a Captain with some good skills (10 pts).  Have priority target so I know when I've been had.  I've been dialing down the aggressive play so I'm lasting longer.  I'm having some trouble closing out games.  What do you do when your teammate (who everybody has been focused on) dies and all of a sudden you are the only target?  I've gotten caught in that situation 4 times.  Twice I have run away and twice I have done the Taffy 3 thing (for you young folks-google Taffy 3 during WW II).  Both times that I have run away to fight again hasn't ended well.  Both times that I did the Taffy 3 charge I take out one ship but die in the process.  There has to be a third option.  Has anyone out there come up with a Kobayashi Maru maneuver to help me the next time?  

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles
Spoiler

1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles

Depends on the enemy truthfully. If it's an enemy you can spot and easily out run, the goals is more "tactical retreat", if it's a DD that has better spotting range than you, run for your life. IJN DD's as a whole are built around stealth, and torps. Your goal, especially when outnumbered, be as close as you can to the enemy, without being seen, unleash your torps one on the marker, the other/s slightly off to compensate for any maneuvers to try and guarantee a hit. Drop a smoke screen  and maybe fire a couple shots to make the enemy think you want to hide there and charge it or spook them to change course allowing for a better angle or changing your attack position. The key to the IJN DD's is to remain unseen and get good at using torps from range so as to hit an enemy that tries to dodge still.

IJN DD's in a nutshell -

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles

The answer is pretty situational and you didnt give us nearly enough info to give you a "when this, do this" scenario... were you the only one on the team left or just the only one in the area?  How much time was left?  What did the point totals look like?  What ships were left and nearby?  

Blind answer, pop smoke, boost away from nearest enemy keeping the smoke puffs between you and them until you get outside your detection range, (which of course is 5.3km for isokaze if you're worth your salt).  Make sure your path will not lead you into another enemy that will spot you.  Then you double back and work magic with torpedoes and stay in stealth the rest of the game.  Only open up with guns to finish someone off, and only then if you're a good shot.  

[CVA16]
Members
2,169 posts
9,615 battles

General statement is a live IJN DD is better than a dead one. If you stay alive to keep spotting for your team (if you have any team left) and launching torps you are doing your job. Your potential to damage enemy ships drops to zero when you are dead and your last torp salvo runs out of gas. Getting lots of red ships to hunt you down instead of shooting at allies or capping is also a win. In a hopeless situation  (one of those steamroll battles) you may decide to YOLO to gamble on incredible luck (or just get back to port faster). Finally, you have to look at the points. If your team is way up on points, you still lose when your last ship sinks so staying alive is a very good thing. If your team is down on points, you need to kill all the reds or die trying BUT you are better off taking as much time as you can to do it. One torp salvo is very unlikely to sink 4 red ships  (best I have ever gotten is 2)  while 4 torp salvos might. Don't want to completely forget you have guns but there are very few ships you can beat in a gunfight and no way to outgun 2 or 3 ships so they are mostly good for taking out those already on deaths door.

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,000 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

salvos

Actually in this situation, unless you're going to suicide run something in close, I would completely advise against full salvo'ing your torps.  Especially in isokaze.