You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmBilgeWater

Thoughts on Deep Water Torpedoes and Heal

69 comments in this topic

Members
33 posts
6,535 battles

There are not too many BBs playing the game. There are just not enough players opting for Cruisers and Destroyers. 

BBs already have enough crap to deal with 1) we burn at the drop of a match. 2) our dispersion sucks 3) we are deadly slow 4) reloading takes 30 seconds.  Why give BB players more headaches with Deep Water torpedoes?

Why do I often play BBs?  Because of the HEAL!  I can stay in the game a bit longer with heal.  The issue for me is to give cruiser and DD player more incentive to play CCs and DDs. rather than giving BB players less incentive to play. Give Cruisers 3 heals, one more with Captains skill "Superintendent".  Give DDs 2 heals one more with Superintendent. I know I'd play Cruisers and Destroyers a lot more if I had some heal available.

Lastly, I have played more than 3000 games. I play 8 or more hours a day. I kept track of my last 24 games playing in cruisers and Battle Ships that I did not survive.  Of those:  Seventeen times I was sunk by torpedoes out of 24 games. There are already too many torpedoes in the game!

We don't need deep water torpedoes.

Edited by AdmBilgeWater
correction of games played

[SF-A]
Members
2,849 posts
5,548 battles

"I'm a BB main and don't want to be countered by anything remotely effective since the already weak counters are too strong for me"

Loud and clear amigo...

• Cool 12

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts

As a BB main I rarely die to torps unless I wasnt paying attention. Which BBs are you dying to torps in?

• Cool 1

Members
33 posts
6,535 battles

Air drop Torps mostly - can't turn a BB fast enough.  Some DDs also - but I turn tail a run from enemy smoke and DDs.  Mostly tier 5-8.

Edited by AdmBilgeWater
add sentence

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
16 minutes ago, AdmBilgeWater said:

There are not too many BBs playing the game. There are just not enough players opting for Cruisers and Destroyers. 

BBs already have enough crap to deal with 1) we burn at the drop of a match. 2) our dispersion sucks 3) we are deadly slow 4) reloading takes 30 seconds.  Why give BB players more headaches with Deep Water torpedoes?

Why do I often play BBs?  Because of the HEAL!  I can stay in the game a bit longer with heal.  The issue for me is to give cruiser and DD player more incentive to play CCs and DDs. rather than giving BB players less incentive to play. Give Cruisers 3 heals, one more with Captains skill "Superintendent".  Give DDs 2 heals one more with Superintendent. I know I'd play Cruisers and Destroyers a lot more if I had some heal available.

Lastly, I have played more than 3000 games. I play 8 or more hours a day. I kept track of my last 24 games playing in cruisers and Battle Ships that I did not survive.  Of those:  Seventeen times I was sunk by torpedoes out of 24 games. There are already too many torpedoes in the game!

We don't need deep water torpedoes.

wwhIoDu.gif

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
22 minutes ago, AdmBilgeWater said:

There are not too many BBs playing the game

WG disagrees.

3 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

I hear people talking about deep water torps, but what are they?

Torpedoes with a shorter spotting range, which only hit large ships-- Carriers and battleships. And cruisers but that may change.

Edited by AraAragami

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles
5 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

WG disagrees.

Torpedoes with a shorter spotting range, which only hit large ships-- Carriers and battleships. And cruisers but that may change.

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Shoot... you think torps are bad... get a few Enterprise DB's after your hull...you'll welcome TB. And you know there's a rumor those AP-DB are gonna be spread through the USN carrier line from a certain tier upward. Trust me - there's gonna be more to be concerned with than DW torps... besides, if I'm not mistaken, those DW torps are gonna be ship-oriented, not plane. 

Or is I wrong? 

Members
33 posts
6,535 battles

Capt_Binkley. Deep water torps run 4 to 5 meters deep. So they only hit deep hulls like on all BBs and skim under DDs and most cruisers.  They do tremendous damage compared to regular torps.  Their detectic level is about 1/2 of regular torps - so no time to react. Some think there are too many BBs in the game and this would be a way to discourage people from Playing BBs.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles

How about we reverse the DD detection nerf?  If you want to counter act BB's, that would be a good way to do it that doesn't up-end the game.

[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
1 minute ago, AdmBilgeWater said:

Capt_Binkley. Deep water torps run 4 to 5 meters deep. So they only hit deep hulls like on all BBs and skim under DDs and most cruisers.  They do tremendous damage compared to regular torps.  Their detectic level is about 1/2 of regular torps - so no time to react. Some think there are too many BBs in the game and this would be a way to discourage people from Playing BBs.

WG did state recently that they feel there are too many BBs, approximately 35% of the population and they would like it to be around 30%. How much of a problem the extra 5% is the debatable part.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Binkley said:

How about we reverse the DD detection nerf?  If you want to counter act BB's, that would be a good way to do it that doesn't up-end the game.

So basically you want a change that actually does nothing to allow destroyers to contest battleship supremacy.

Because, get this, giving destroyers the ability to actually counter battleships (Which they are supposed to do) would "up-end" the current state of the game.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,125 posts
7,541 battles

I'm fine with underwater torps. I'm NOT fine, however, with what certain idiots are demanding in that BB AP should be "nerfed" on DD's.

That aside, can we please give RN BB's hitable citadels from the side and better AP till T8?

Members
33 posts
6,535 battles

AraAragami I don't think you read my post carefully enough.  I'm saying the DDs do a pretty fine job sinking BBs now.  Why discourage BB players from playing when you can with heal, encourage DD and Cruiser players instead?  That would balance out the percentages without making one class of ships less playable.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

So basically you want a change that actually does nothing to allow destroyers to contest battleship supremacy.

Because, get this, giving destroyers the ability to actually counter battleships (Which they are supposed to do) would "up-end" the current state of the game.

Reversing the DD nerf does 2 things:

#1 It is the ultimate in annoying to have a DD constantly harassing a BB that it cannot see.  This is quite the motivation to pick a different ship.

#2 It forces players to learn to play better as a team.  The counter to a DD firing from stealth is to work with a cruiser or CV.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Binkley said:

Reversing the DD nerf does 2 things:

#1 It is the ultimate in annoying to have a DD constantly harassing a BB that it cannot see.  This is quite the motivation to pick a different ship.

#2 It forces players to learn to play better as a team.  The counter to a DD firing from stealth is to work with a cruiser or CV.

Yeah they're not bringing back stealth fire, so campaigning for this is about as useful as jousting windmills.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles
2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Yeah they're not bringing back stealth fire, so campaigning for this is about as useful as jousting windmills.

I don't doubt you're right.  But it makes far more sense than some deep water torp idea.

Edited by Capt_Binkley

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
Just now, Capt_Binkley said:

I don't doubt you're right.  But it makes far more sense that some deep water torp idea.

Why? Torpedoes had variable depth settings. In fact, the early war USN torpedoes were infamous for running too deep and missing the target.

Adding an actual counter to battleships isn't a bad thing.

Neither is enticing players to try a new destroyer line with a new mechanic.

Edited by AraAragami

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles

So, what you mean is you sail in straight lines and haven't learned the finer points of those OP WASD hax WG snuck into the game. Perhaps they simply failed to inform you they were there? Communication can be an issue for them at times, as we all know. Getting consistent hits with torps isn't nearly as easy as you seem to think, see below as to why.

The reason so many are deserting DD's and cruisers is because of players like YOU, constantly crying to WG about your paint being scratched, costing us the ability to effectively counter your massive hulk of steel with its heal that we don't have.

Now YOU get hit with a nice hit from the nerf bat. I hope you're happy, deep inside, lord knows I'M happy about it. Though, I'll point out, as of now, using those torps costs us the ability to use them on anyone BUT you, so think on what we have to give up, just to use them.

What have your lovely castles of steel given up lately?

Members
33 posts
6,535 battles

AraAragami We may disagree. I think there are enough torpedoes in the water already. You I suspect would like to see a more stealthy torp option.  I don't want to discourage BB players.  ADDING heal to ccs and dds would encourage BB players to also play other classes of ship.  I would think WG would rather encourage CC and DD players rather than punish BB players.  Hell they did enough hype about UK BBs then they wonder why so many are playing BBs.