You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Gun Lock?

17 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Having some difficulty getting my guns to lock in position while I move the camera around.  I thought the opposite/secondary mouse key should do it but it doesn't seem to work. 

I'm left handed so I rebound the default "X" target lock to a key on the number pad.  I've tried holding down the key, Shift + key, Ctrl + key, and nothing seems to work.  I have a programmable mouse so I could bind a key there but I need to figure out how to make it work first.

Suggestions?

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles

For me the RMB hold and look around has always worked and the Ctrl + X key have always worked for just looking and then looking around but then I have not had to set up for being left-handed so do not know why these would not work as you have them set .

:Smile_honoring:

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

What hand do you hold the mouse with?  The left I am going to assume...  I ask since I am a pretty militant lefty but can't do the mouse with my left hand - I prefer to use my left hand to write or for the phone.  You did not change the mapping for the buttons?  Left still fires - correct?  If so - then holding the RMB down by default will work fine.  If you remapped the keys to be opposite of the right hand version then you need to press and hold the LMB

Members
163 posts
411 battles
7 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

What hand do you hold the mouse with?  The left I am going to assume...  I ask since I am a pretty militant lefty but can't do the mouse with my left hand - I prefer to use my left hand to write or for the phone.  You did not change the mapping for the buttons?  Left still fires - correct?  If so - then holding the RMB down by default will work fine.  If you remapped the keys to be opposite of the right hand version then you need to press and hold the LMB

Yep...I use the mouse in my left hand so the RMB (index finger) is my fire button.  In WoT my LMB locks the gun in place (with no additional programming) and it was my understanding that it should work in WoWS as well but for some reason it's not taking.  Maybe additional changes in the Settings/Control section are necessary in WoWS?

Or maybe it doesn't work in Tier I, Co-Op battles?

Edited by OldFrog75
misspelling...grammar

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

Works fine - with I hold the RMB it has Free Look on the screen.  What did you settings look like for the item below? 

WOWs free look.PNG

Members
163 posts
411 battles
14 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Works fine - with I hold the RMB it has Free Look on the screen.  What did you settings look like for the item below? 

WOWs free look.PNG

That might be it.  Free Look Camera default was "shift".  I've been messing with the "Target Lock" (default = "X"), since I assumed that's the equivalent of WoT's Auto-aim, trying to make it work.  There is no "Free Lock Camera" setting that I'm aware of in WoT - RMB Auto-Aims when pressed and Locks the gun when held down.

Bottom line, (lefty rebinding aside) I'm trying to figure out how to: 

a)  lock onto a target (auto-aim) while I steer my ship and

b)  lock the guns down so I can look side to side without their turrets rotating.

I re-bound the "X" to my number pad and made "RMB" Free Look Camera.  Going to give it a whirl and report back:Smile_honoring:.

***update - The free look camera works w/ RMB (LMB for me).  Still working on the Target Lock/Auto Aim problem.  It's too bad they aren't the same key - in fact, I think that's been the problem.  I've been randomly searching for a way to bind both functions to one key and WoWS might not allow that.

Edited by OldFrog75

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles

An interesting idea for lefties might be if there was a "Left Handed Players" option that would bind the keys in a way that was more comfortable for lefties, assuming that they'd use the mouse with their LH and the keys with the right.  Maybe the WASD keys could be replaced with the 8456 keys on the numeric keypad, for example.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

An interesting idea for lefties might be if there was a "Left Handed Players" option that would bind the keys in a way that was more comfortable for lefties, assuming that they'd use the mouse with their LH and the keys with the right.  Maybe the WASD keys could be replaced with the 8456 keys on the numeric keypad, for example.

That's pretty much what I've done, I just had to reprogram the Settings Controls myself.  Mouse in left hand and vehicle directions on the Numeric Keypad but this auto-aim/free look is different in WoWS than WoT and giving me some problems....obviously.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Bottom line, (lefty rebinding aside) I'm trying to figure out how to: 

a)  lock onto a target (auto-aim) while I steer my ship and

b)  lock the guns down so I can look side to side without their turrets rotating.

I re-bound the "X" to my number pad and made "RMB" Free Look Camera.  Going to give it a whirl and report back:Smile_honoring:.

Okay - under settings, the third tab "Controls", second column from left, first item is Track the Locked Target. If that is enabled, your guns will track on the locked target. I find it extremely irritating but you may want to try it. 

On the stock control setup file, "Ctrl + X" locks the guns on a bearing. "X" just locks them at their current position. 

You could remap those to another mouse button if you have multiple, unused buttons. 

But enabling/disabling target lock to follow the target - it's not a configurable control option that I can see.

You can only enable/disable it through the menu. 

Members
163 posts
411 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Bind free look to the left mouse button

I did that and it works.  Target Lock and Tracking Locked Target are still a work in progress.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I use the Left-handed Razer Naga 12 button programmable.  Like it a lot.  :cap_like:

Very comfortable with my settings in WoT but some things are quite a bit different over here.  Going to take a little time to figure out what's optimum (and not confuse myself toggling back and forth between games).

Edited by OldFrog75

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Just realized while watching a video about using Torpedoes that the reason I didn't think Target Lock was working is because in WoWS Target Lock puts a Target icon above the targeted ship whereas in WoT Auto-Aim locks the aiming reticle on the targeted tank.

Edited by OldFrog75

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,699 battles

Oddly as a leftie I've always found right hand for mouse more comfortable :fish_aqua:

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles
2 hours ago, hoom said:

Oddly as a leftie I've always found right hand for mouse more comfortable :fish_aqua:

Same here - I want to leave my dominant hand to write/type, use the phone, drive a ship with WASD etc... ;)

Edited by CylonRed