You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Which Iowa Upgrade?

9 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,493 posts
2,046 battles

So just bought the Iowa. I'm on the fence about which upgrade to mount in the third slot. The AA mod, +25% to AA DPS, or the dispersion mod (-11%). I am AA built with AFT and BFT, but do I need the the better dispersion?. CVs are getting more common, and the accuracy isn't terrible stock. What do you guys think?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles

I plan on going AA when I finish the NC and get to Iowa. Have had AA on Colorado and now NC and it is worth it. Accuracy should be fine stock as you say. Has been for me on Colorado and NC and same basic guns on Iowa.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
956 posts
11,153 battles
13 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

So just bought the Iowa. I'm on the fence about which upgrade to mount in the third slot. The AA mod, +25% to AA DPS, or the dispersion mod (-11%). I am AA built with AFT and BFT, but do I need the the better dispersion?. CVs are getting more common, and the accuracy isn't terrible stock. What do you guys think?

The AA will shred well enough without it.  Considering there will be many times where you are bow in and angling hard that dispersion buff is key.

I havent been playing Iowa much since I have the Mo but I tend to shoot at every DD within 12km and really enjoy having good accuracy.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles

Seems to me that you're going to fire your main guns in every game, whereas you won't see carriers in every game.  That's why I'd go for the module that enhances main gun accuracy on the Iowa.

• Cool 1

[NO]
Members
360 posts
12,829 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I would reccomend against it due to-

1) A CV that wants to strike you is still going to hit you and when done correctly sink you even with maxed AA unless it is under tier then it is still not going to touch you without the upgrades.

2) A CV (when they appear) usually won't touch you or go near you. Thus the AA upgrade is of no use since it does not increase your range. 

3)I reccomend the concealment build imo since it allows you verserbility. 

-it is the best survivability since enemies can't shoot you if they don't know you there or you blink out of exisitance

-If a CV wants to strike you they gotta see you first

-an enemy that wants to angle against you need to know where you are first

[WOLF5]
Members
1,493 posts
2,046 battles
1 minute ago, holycrazyasian said:

I would reccomend against it due to-

1) A CV that wants to strike you is still going to hit you and when done correctly sink you even with maxed AA unless it is under tier then it is still not going to touch you without the upgrades.

2) A CV (when they appear) usually won't touch you or go near you. Thus the AA upgrade is of no use since it does not increase your range. 

3)I reccomend the concealment build imo since it allows you verserbility. 

-it is the best survivability since enemies can't shoot you if they don't know you there or you blink out of exisitance

-If a CV wants to strike you they gotta see you first

-an enemy that wants to angle against you need to know where you are first

Yeah, I'm going concealment. Wasn't thinking right so right now I'm at 16pts with AFT and BFT, but only 50K away from the 17pt, which will go for concealment. I figure Concealment and AA for the USN BBs. And you guys are probably right, a good CV is going to kill me if they're determined, and everything else isn't, upgrade or know. As you guys have said, you always shoot your guns, so I'll go dispersion.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
On 9/14/2017 at 1:44 PM, AJTP89 said:

Personally, I did APRM2 to improve dispersion.  11% is a large improvement.  Consider that ASM1 that other ships access is 7%.

By slotting APRM2, you can still have AAGM2 at the same time and have a good blend.  You have AA that makes a CV thinks twice, AA that makes lower tier aircraft evaporate, all while improving your guns to do tricks that many other BBs will have trouble replicating.  If you have Manual AA & AFT & Concealment Expert to add to this with a 18-19 points captain, it gets pretty crazy.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:24 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Personally, I did APRM2 to improve dispersion.  11% is a large improvement.  Consider that ASM1 that other ships access is 7%.

By slotting APRM2, you can still have AAGM2 at the same time and have a good blend.  You have AA that makes a CV thinks twice, AA that makes lower tier aircraft evaporate, all while improving your guns to do tricks that many other BBs will have trouble replicating.  If you have Manual AA & AFT & Concealment Expert to add to this with a 18-19 points captain, it gets pretty crazy.

Yup, ^^^ is right. Iowa has 6 upgrade slots so you can do AA and dispersion. Actually, APRM1, which is in slot 2 where the AAGM2 upgrade is, only increases your range (+16%). It does not effect main gun dispersion (it helps secondary gun dispersion but not mains). So IMO taking AAGM2 there is a no brainer. Iowa already has a 23.3km basic range and for me that is more than enough. Slot 3 has APRM2 which gives the -11% to main gun dispersion. You can pick that or AAGM3 to further improve your AA or other aspects of the ship.

I just unlocked Iowa myself this morning and went with my original plan mentioned above for slot 2 but I did go with the APRM2 upgrade over AAGM3 in slot 3 to help with dispersion based on comments here. This is how I spec'd mine...

• Slot 1 - MAM1
  • Slot 2 - AAGM2
  • Slot 3 - APRM2
  • Slot 4 - DCSM1
  • Slot 5 - SGM2
  • Slot 6 - CSM1

I debated what to get in slot 6??? TASM1 seemed like a good choice too by I ended up going concealement and for the small help with enemy shell dispersion. What are people's thoughts on slot 6?

EDIT - Have played 6 games so far in Iowa. AA build is INCREDIBLE! The AA just obliterates whole squadrons. The AA is awesome on this ship! Main guns are dang good too. This is a great ship.

Z2d5PFs.jpg

My Iowa...

ki9MKFo.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder