You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CJ781

Dear WG, Karma's a .....

24 comments in this topic

[SC]
[SC]
Beta Testers
336 posts
6,874 battles

Let's face it, Karma's a B!+<#. If the points really do nothing for ya, then what's the point? Even if someone had 0 points, it matters not, correct? I see it as a way for entitled captains to, ... cry? I saw a recent post where a DD got a Kraken, basically winning the game for his team. He got reported 5 times from the other team for doing a good job! Seriously? You got beat fair and square so you're going to report the guy?! Frankly it's stupid. 

Watching players (especially the dead ones) call out teammates to report somebody for poor play because the poor guy cannot carry is stupid.  If it was intentional  that the offending teammate was playing poorly in order to make the team lose that's another story, but so often I believe that's not the case. 

So WG, are you guys working on a solution for this or anything?

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

The only thing it does it the higher your Karma, the more +/- you can give out.

It should just be removed. Its utterly useless, and I've yet to hear a suggestion of how it could be made to mean/do something that wasn't easily abusable.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Members
13,732 posts
1 minute ago, _Luna said:

The only thing it does it the higher your Karma, the more +/- you can give out.

It should just be removed. Its utterly useless, and I've yet to hear a suggestion of how it could be made to mean/do something that wasn't easily abusable.

Not entirely, the chat report karma metes out mutes for players when they get reported enough times.

[LOU1]
Members
4,207 posts
12,372 battles

It is unfortunate that it gets abused.  As for me, it is a tangible way to compliment someone.  It would be nice if there was a different system, but any system can be abused or gamed.  The only time I felt it unfairly used against me was in that recent campaign that required kills.  I have never intentionally secured (stolen) a kill that someone had worked hard for and was about to complete. However, I noticed that almost my entire meager stock of Karma points was gone by the time the campaign ended, likely because I made a kill someone else wanted.  They are all back now, but it was still a bit irritating.  Fortunately, it doesn't affect anything...

[TF16]
Members
840 posts
9,439 battles

If I throw a compliment, it's a good thing and while it does nothing in the game.  It makes that other person feel recognized.

[SALVO]
Members
25,498 posts
27,483 battles

Yeah, Karma's nothing but bull puckey.  

Players who have committed the crime of not being great enough to carry getting wrongly reported, even when they really aren't that bad.

Players who have committed the crime of being really good getting wrongly reported out of jealousy and nothing more.

Pollyannas who have such thin skin that they can't take a little ribbing reporting people who call them out fairly for doing something really stupid.

The list goes on and on.

I try not to in game report people for playing bad just because they're not good enough to be great.  If a player tries to do his job, tries to play smart, and so on, I won't blame him for doing so.  But if you just plain stink,  like hiding behind an island at the max range of your BB's guns and are doing nothing but uselessly sniping, I'll definitely warm up my reports.

Members
925 posts
4,023 battles
57 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Not entirely, the chat report karma metes out mutes for players when they get reported enough times.

How long have you been waiting to use the use the phrase "metes out mutes"?  There's something you just don't hear everyday.

I think Karma could be made more useful, especially to beginners, if there was a way to relate it to a specific action or performance.  Just the ability to return to a replay where Karma was changed and look closely for what particular action the player did right or wrong.  Often there is no time to comment in the match.  Any kind of feedback mechanism that promotes improvement is helpful.  Unfortunately Karma as currently designed does a poor job of providing information.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,398 battles
40 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I have lost at least 60-80  Karma points over nothing lol

# 1, there is NO WAY you would even get to 60 Karma points, ever... and 
#2....

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,680 battles

I had a 29 karma score when I was awful. Now, it's 6, and I am far from awful. I do believe, and have seen numerous times, that people will report you for being better than they are more often than they will for you being bad at the game. It's absurd, it's stupid, and it's beyond belief petty, which, sadly, describes much of the human race at times.

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, WoWS Community Contributors
5,969 posts
22,141 battles
6 minutes ago, pmgaudio said:

#2....

Lol

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
14,398 battles
3 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I had a 29 karma score when I was awful. Now, it's 6, and I am far from awful. I do believe, and have seen numerous times, that people will report you for being better than they are more often than they will for you being bad at the game. It's absurd, it's stupid, and it's beyond belief petty, which, sadly, describes much of the human race at times.

a6XtPmW.gif

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,151 battles

Someone, I don't remember who, posted a comment  recently about the future removal of the karma system.  

Not sure how true or not.  It was a recent thread.. maybe in the last 30 days.    I'll try and find it later if I get time.

Found it in this thread... comment from @Clutch_Cargo

It was post #7..

B

Edited by bassmasta76

[DARTH]
Members
555 posts
14,815 battles

Semi-random suggestion:

1) Remove 'karma' as a visible statistic

2) Division or clan-mates are not allowed to compliment or report each other (to prevent karma farming).

3) Provide popup for + karma in battle interface in real time.  Only twice have I ever seen a notice after a battle about "you have been complimented".  For example, if I see a low health, but brave Fletcher ambush the enemy's big bad and finish them off with torps, saving us the cap and the game, and sling a compliment their way, I would be happy to know that they're seeing a little badge flash up on their screen as a small reward.  Maybe for negatives, save that for after the battle, to prevent negative feedback looping.

4) While the 'karma' variable may be hidden, track it.  If it reaches or passes a threshold, say, 100, give them a karma reward crate with some flags, camos or something small.  Maybe a bag of 5 FTW camos.  All the same, having a tangible reward would mean that #2 would be very important, to prevent rep 'farming'...  If compliments have a potential value reward, however, it would conceivably be appropriate to associate a small silver cost with them, like maybe 100 silver.

5) On the other hand, perhaps excessive negative reporting, etc. might result in a brief chat ban.  Not sure what the penalty for "plays poorly" would be, that seems like it is self-punishing enough.  Perhaps...  Some people might suggest changing their icon color to orange, instead of pink, or something, but I think that would probably be too harsh, their life is probably hard enough as it is.

6) If I were an evil dev, I would re-write the matchmaker to mute the chat ban people and try to assign them to the same team as the "plays poorly" people.  Good thing I'm not an evil game developer, eh?

(In case you don't know, that last one was humor...)

Anyway, like I said, just semi-random thoughts.

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

99 here, I usually hover around 100 give or take.

It really doesn't mean anything, but it does make me feel appreciated.

• Cool 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

I provided air cover and torp cruiser while playing in low tier CV +1

I smokes/spotted/torp ships while playing in dd +2 give or take

I support while playing in cruiser CharlesMartel +1

I smacked players in their face and citadels them in my Roon, got Kraken, win the game and I got -5

I could NOT care less

[SC]
[SC]
Beta Testers
336 posts
6,874 battles
14 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

I provided air cover and torp cruiser while playing in low tier CV +1

I smokes/spotted/torp ships while playing in dd +2 give or take

I support while playing in cruiser CharlesMartel +1

I smacked players in their face and citadels them in my Roon, got Kraken, win the game and I got -5

I could NOT care less

See that's what I'm talking about! Getting down repped for kicking [edited]! [edited]! What if u get, say 7 ups and only 2 downs per day. Or charge for the Negatives, 25k Creds for first, 50k 2nd, 75k 3rd, etc. etc.  up to the alotment for the day. Maybe even Stifler then that. 

Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles
1 hour ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I do believe, and have seen numerous times, that people will report you for being better than they are more often than they will for you being bad at the game.

From my experience this is pretty much true.

Fairly recently I got a Devastating Strike (at about 5 km, not point blank) on a Scharnhorst with a Farragut.

I was reported that match and lost Karma.

I don't think it was my team as I was in the thick of the battle the whole time and the only thing I said was "TY" when I was complimented in chat for the Scharnhorst kill.

100% sure it was just the Scharnhorst being salty.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles
29 minutes ago, CJ781 said:

See that's what I'm talking about! Getting down repped for kicking [edited]! [edited]! What if u get, say 7 ups and only 2 downs per day. Or charge for the Negatives, 25k Creds for first, 50k 2nd, 75k 3rd, etc. etc.  up to the alotment for the day. Maybe even Stifler then that. 

I could NOT care less

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Not big on reporting peeps, but i always run out of compliments.

A month or so ago i had to use a few for an issue, but I can count on two hands what I've used this year per innocent.

Recently, I had an enemy CV that spotted me in a DD the whole battle. I had to move off the front line and use my guns at distance and still was spotted. Moved to a cruiser for cover, and parked his planes around it until he could spot me again and parked. I was darn near my spawn.

Sorry, there's playing the game, and then there's just being a d**k. No reason to screw up another guys game like that. 

All 10 reports baby. I can only hope it bothered him.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
11 hours ago, pmgaudio said:

#2....

I can help you with 2nd point....

IMG_8081.thumb.JPG.bc45852b6aacc26bc8f771e7a17f8f91.JPG

• Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
997 posts
11,536 battles

Recently had an absolutely so-so game.   Nothing really special happened at all in it.   Average game, nothing in game chat and and i lost 4 points after the game.  Maybe it was because i was one of the last  2 dead, i duno.    All i know is they come and they go.   Kind of like that Enterprise player that was on the other team just now.   He practically 2 shot me with his dive bombers on my upgraded Nagato.  Nothing i could do so i hit him with the wrath of a seven down thumb. Hope he got chat banned too that pompous wallet warrior.

So for everyone out there, they are precious so use them wisely.