Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Toxicity - how it affect game development

7 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
14,345 posts
10,204 battles

on the other hand, WG hasn't done much at all about the TK system, so there is that.

Alpha Tester
2,276 posts
4,349 battles

couple of important quootes I think...

1)  He mentioned that people who’ve filed reports are now getting notified when Blizzard takes disciplinary action against players reported so as to assure them that hitting the report button doesn’t just open up a chute and toss all your exasperated rage into the void.   

2)  The game will soon only punish people with suspensions and bans (no more silences), incoming competitive perma-bans for repeat offenders, punishments that escalate into bans more quickly, and harsher punishments for SR boosting and match throwing, among other things.

Both of those would be good starts for WG to introduce IMO.. 

In addition, Blizzard will be bringing back downvotes to their forums which were removed a couple of years ago.

Peoiple say.. itès the Internet, people will be toxic, get over it as a justification but ihis all comes back to having to accept the GIFT of the Internet ( the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory from 2004 and Unreal Tournament) ..  For those not in the know it goes like this:-

GIFT.png.98b6771c4b064542c880c186d1b19d0a.png

As a result, you cannot use normal every day real world solutions to combat it, you have to go further and break some of the above..  you canèt break the person or the audience, so you HAVE to break the anonymity and if you have rules that support the anonimity then you protect the theory and make the toxicity possible.  A great example of this is no name and shame..  by preserving the anonymity you preserve the toxicity

M

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

I wasn't sure anyone would care to see this here, but felt it goes to show that toxicity is everywhere. It does take away from development when a serious desire to reduce it is in place. I would hazard to guess that until it boils over it's so far, so good here at WoWS. Comparatively speaking, from what I've heard and read, this place is great in comparison to other online game system. Or at least better than others. 

Alpha Tester
2,276 posts
4,349 battles
53 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I wasn't sure anyone would care to see this here, but felt it goes to show that toxicity is everywhere. It does take away from development when a serious desire to reduce it is in place. I would hazard to guess that until it boils over it's so far, so good here at WoWS. Comparatively speaking, from what I've heard and read, this place is great in comparison to other online game system. Or at least better than others. 

Whilst I agree with you, the question is really.. if you know it's coming and is inevitable, when is the right time to stop it happening, because once it's happened it becomes many many times harder to stop it and the signs are there that it's happening in various ways as people push boundaries to see how the mods and devs react to it.

There are other games that went hardline from the start and 2 years in, there is no toxicity at all because the rules were laid down and "enforced".  They still have downvotes.. they have name and shame and first ban is 30 days.. second is permanent.

Naming and shaming on the forums is fine.. but if it is determined it was a false name and shame.. insta ban on origionator.

Now the forums there are great, the posts polite.. no thread derailments, no meme posting and everyone is pretty much working towards the advancement of the game and working WITH the developers to make improvements which happen every 2 weeks and peoples ideas that are implemented are credited in game with the persons name as to being the origionator.

Now, WG is bigger which means that either you need to step in early or it will become an impossible mountain if left to develop.

None of this is new in the games industry..  were talking 13 year old theories and practices here..  its not like any of this stuff has only just been worked out..  most of it is a tradeoff between toxicity and revenue and how much is the company prepared to tolerate.. and from WoT we know that the answer to that is..  damn the Toxicity, bring in the cash. :)

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

@MaliceA4Thought I do agree with you... it's sort of like a corrupted database... you know the data in one field on certain records is, shall we say, unreliable. We know what we can do to fix it - but management has not yet determined a long-term fix is needed. They gave permission once to build a patch program but the data still gets corrupted. They have other plans for the programming staff; other databases need creating, reports need crafted, on and on... it's just not a priority, fixing that database. 

The longer they let it go though the bigger the problem, until it gets so large it start causing issues in the entire system. The more time and effort, the more resources it will take to fix it.

So with toxicity, yes indeed, if it entrenches itself, it's gonna require some major effort to eliminate it. I do hope they focus on it though... I like the game and most of the folks I encounter in-game are doing their part. 

Sign in to follow this