Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Not_Your_Average_Potato

How many guys play strike in Ranger and Lexington?

20 comments in this topic

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles

Hey guys.  I am almost done grinding the Independence and I am wondering what load out do u guys suggest I should go with?  Seems like the Ranger and Lexington has awkward load outs until the Essex and Midway.  Thanks. 

Members
606 posts
5,419 battles

111 ranger is pretty balanced but your dmg output is lacking, everyone will tell you to use it. I personally was playing strike ranger, and people were reporting me for not having fighters. 

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

You better be real good with US CV's and then also lucky to have enough AA assets you can use to  make up for a lack of fighters and also some dumb opponents. I pulled it off a few times with Bogue after I got real comfortable with Bogue. I suppose the same can be done at higher levels , but it seems more like just stunting out of being bored with stock and AS rather than a reliable method. With luck it might bring you in some high games, but IDK about risking that. It is already touchy with US CV's at higher tiers to begin with.

I would not try it until 30-50 games running stock, and running it in co-op some,  then  IDK.

Edited by Strachwitz666

[TF16B]
Members
8,054 posts
16,991 battles
1 hour ago, nothere01 said:

111 ranger is pretty balanced but your dmg output is lacking, everyone will tell you to use it. I personally was playing strike ranger, and people were reporting me for not having fighters. 

Prefer this, but like you said...

Report you? Yeah; players too bloody lazy to use all the things ships of the tiers Ranger meets most of the time (coughtier9cough) can use to screw carriers over.

Beta Testers
26 posts
841 battles

I am grinding as strike in the Ranger right now. I personally enjoy it, but my win rate in the Ranger is sub-par floating around 44%. I put my skills into AA, and I am sitting at a comfortable 77 points in AA, so I have no worries with that; I also try to stick with my team for added AA.  People do tend to criticize me a lot for playing strike though, and that is annoying. 

Game play wise though, you have to realize that the opposing fighters really can't be everywhere. So you have to try to bait with DB constantly, like faking an attack with squad 5, pulling back; at same time faking an attack with squad 4 a little bit on the side. If the fighters come, you pull back, if not you can get the attack in. 

I know this is a [edited] move, but I also try to snipe the other CV as often as possible, and I often manage to strike AS cvs too. You just have to be sneaky, and use bait tactics. 

The problem is, in the Ranger, you get some matches where the enemy won't fall for your tricks, and it ends up terribly for you. And I feel it would be the same or worse if I went AS myself.

Members
2,208 posts
4,051 battles

So I went ahead and switched my ranger over to strike. So far I can say it's not as unbalanced as I have been lead to believe and yes it would be completely broken to give it a fighter squadron.

Even ramming my bombers down the throat of a 2-2-0 15 skill Saipan over top of a NC netted me 66k damage. The NC even out killed the Saipan.

You are going to be hard pressed to convince me that 8 tier 7 planes [Hiryu] can somehow out preform 8 tier 9 planes in what is affectively a no fly zone

It will not let me change the quote title but that was me back in Jan from another thread.

The best way to use strike is to spread your dive bombers out early and attack different areas. Once they drop use your empty squadrons to scout. When red ships use their DCP call it out to your team so they can burn them down. Follow up with your torpedo bombers attacking in different areas. Used this way you are a good force multiplier and if your team can kill most if not all of the red DDs than your team is more likely to win. As the game gets into later stages or if your team is not taking advantage of the vision you are providing switch off to killing capital ships instead. You can set up a bunch of different auto drops (damage is not really the issue) then when fighters show up just micro that one squadron to dodge strafes as needed to get back to friendly AA.

The only squadron that really matters is your TBs always manual drop them. Also avoid staking dive bombers when there is an unseen fighter in play. That is just strafe bait. There are a bunch of dirty little tricks that enable you to get the most out of your bombers but not enough time to get into it.

• Cool 1

Members
1,604 posts
3,573 battles

Played Strike Ranger by and large,  my best performing CV and ship currently.  I think it had something to do with me making it a point to nuke every single DD I came across...

• Cool 1

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

0/1/3 Lexington all the way. Anything else is a waste of the ship. 

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,206 posts
1,939 battles
2 hours ago, Grathew said:

0/1/3 Lexington all the way. Anything else is a waste of the ship. 

at the moment it is the most logical choice because AS is not financially viable long term...well that is until or if WG fixes carriers that is

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,831 battles

Also if you learn to do lots of damage with out fighters and win games with out fighters when most people have fighters it can help you become a better carrier captain. 

[BANDI]
Members
94 posts
13,848 battles

I used to play strike, but today I consider was a mistake.

when I finally get to my Essex, I was not ready for that level because I did not learn how to use the fighters property when I should. It was painful. And at T9 took me a lot to reach a decent level of defensive skills. Even today, I struggle vs Tahios if enemy capt knows his stuff

As a rule, you never should go out without fighters nor torp bombers, so stock is the only option for Lex and Ranger and that is the way I play today.

In my case, I play mostly with Indy and Essex. I find the stock option very bored when in Lex and Ranger with just 3 squads.

Midway is wonderful but is too expensive. But worth to mention that the stock config is so good that you don't need the strike option.

Edited by YankeeVictor

Members
147 posts
11,659 battles

Have a dozen games in my Lexington so far switching between strike and 2-0-2.   With the fighter loadout it is strong in shutting down the other cv.  But damage is low and some of those games even though I shoot down lots of planes and spot, my team can't  win.  Where as strike even though it is mostly situational I seem to have more impact by dealing damage.  Kind of sucks they don't have a balance loadout like the Enterprise does.   Maybe the Essex with the 1-1-3 would be better.  

Edited by Not_Your_Average_Potato

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,475 posts
6,653 battles

Following Grathew's advice, am now using Strike once again, hit 'em early hit 'em hard! Working so far, though can do better I am sure.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles

I never played Strike Ranger, even on my initial grind.  It was AS and I had a miserable time with her.

Lexington, most of my battles with her were with Strike.  However, the competition at Tier VIII CVs has become rather fierce.  Shokaku in any spec had always been dangerous, but we also have Enterprise now.  Both are very dangerous CVs.  Strike Lexi is not up to par.  Letting Shokaku and Enterprise have free reign to do whatever they want to your team because you were Strike Lexi is "no bueno," IMO.  I have since shifted to Stock 1/1/1 or AS 2/0/2 Lexi.  SOME sort of fighter presence is needed, the enemy CV cannot be allowed to do what it wants. 

When it was just Shokaku & Lexington, I was happy to do Strike Lexi but the addition of ANOTHER CV with fighter + heavy bomber capability forced my hand to drift away from Strike Lexi.  Enterprise is seen frequently enough by me to make her a regular threat to prepare for.

Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

I am getting sick of the pathetic returns on Ranger Dive bomber bombs. Even max possible 7500 is pretty bad,  but that doesn't matter as I have NEVER seen a bomb do even 5k , and my average per bomb is about  TWO FRIGGING THOUSAND per DAM BOMB .  add another 1000 for current fire average .  Is still  constantly less than say an average of 3500-3750. IDK if they have secretly nerfed non-premium US CV DB's damage in some way, but let's just say I am getting pretty suspicious. 3k a bomb aint doing much.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,475 posts
6,653 battles

Since Grathew told me how to Strike Lex, coupled with my atrocious historical WR (38% in Lex) and so being under estimated, I have had a few nice matches.

I played this half awake just now (really is late for me here)

shot-17_09.24_07_08.05-0805.thumb.jpg.2817b07f0b06240abab9584877c3fd6c.jpgshot-17_09.24_07_08.11-0580.thumb.jpg.1c3d319da3e3431ec285898a6bbde489.jpg

I got a bit catty in chat, (no salt but apologies to other players in that game) after someone mentioned XVM.., but then again, maybe that woke me up :Smile_popcorn:

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Strachwitz666 said:

I am getting sick of the pathetic returns on Ranger Dive bomber bombs. Even max possible 7500 is pretty bad,  but that doesn't matter as I have NEVER seen a bomb do even 5k , and my average per bomb is about  TWO FRIGGING THOUSAND per DAM BOMB .  add another 1000 for current fire average .  Is still  constantly less than say an average of 3500-3750. IDK if they have secretly nerfed non-premium US CV DB's damage in some way, but let's just say I am getting pretty suspicious. 3k a bomb aint doing much.

Having a similar issue right now with the AS Lex. Even been trying to stagger my bomb drops to try to get DOT, too much RNG.

Sign in to follow this