You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi

What should Christopher Nolan do next?

21 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles

As we all know, Christopher Nolan made the movie Dunkirk and it was a truly incredible story that managed to encapsulate almost everything about the evacuation and how it felt for the soldiers on the ground, the navy and civilians on the seas and the pilots in the sky. A topic recently came up about the horrible Indianapolis movie which was compared to I quote "I would place it as entertaining as grinding a Colorado in a string of T9 carrier battles." a fitting description by @AVR_Project for that insult to the tragedy of the disaster itself. However that got me thinking how would it be if Nolan got to remake it like his movie Dunkirk? I can imagine him taking the views of the various people involved (especially the view of the captain of I-58 who actually defended McVay by saying zig-zaging would not have saved the ship) and showing the hardships they suffered and what the Navy dd to try and cover it up and Captain McVay's eventual pardon of blame. So I'm asking if Nolan had asked to do another Dunkirk-style movie what battle would you want him to do? give me your top 5 (if you ca't decide just put it as a tie) or if you have more do more. Here are my top 5 (+1).

1. Battle of Leyte Gulf

2. Battle of Midway or Pearl Harbor (tied)

3. Battle of Jutland or Battle of Guadalcanal (tied)

4. D-day/Battle of Normandy or Battle of Kursk (tied)

5. Battle of Stalingrad or Second Battle of El Alimein (tied)

6. Battle of the Coral Sea or Indianapolis sinking

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

I keep wondering why his adaptation of Dunkirk keeps getting all these accolades? Was it good, yes. But I found that it was more about cinematography and loud stirring music than substance, unlike something on the lines of Band of Brothers, which was all substance. There are plenty of other directors out there that could treat any of those historical events with the same hand, or even better.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
38 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The story of the USS Houston.

I second this motion.

Also, I'd add The Destroyer that Would Not Die, USS Laffey, for her endurance of one of the largest kamikaze attacks of the war.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

If you've watched Interstellar and Dunkirk you'll notice that the theme for both movies is time. Thus I believe another movie about Operation Market Garden or the Siege of Bastogne would be fitting choices. I actually enjoyed watching A Bridge Too Far and the Bastogne episode of Band of Brothers, but neither gave me the impression that time was against the main characters.

Even the Fall of Singapore had its own Dunkirk-like evacuation, so I would definitely watch that if a movie was ever made.

9780850529715_30.jpg

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
96 posts
5,716 battles

While you listed some significant battles, I have to point out that there's already quite excellent movies about D-Day (The Longest Day), Midway (Charleton Heston), and Stalingrad (Enemy at the Gate).

My list:

1. Jutland

2. The stories of SMS Seeadler or SMS Wolf,  WW1 raiders.  Seeadler was the last fighting sail ship.

3. SMS Scharnhorst & Gneisenau - from Kiel to Coronel to the Falklands

4. Kursk

5. Leyte Gulf

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
913 posts
17,895 battles

Director Ridley Scott is in pre production for a new Battle of Britain movie.  With Scott at the helm, you know the cast will be good.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/04/ridley-scott-to-direct-battle-of-britain-passion-project-movie

Leyte Gulf would be a good one to make.  I don't know how you could squeeze into 2.5 hours but the naval battles for Guadalcanal might be a fun movie to make,.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles

In addition to the Indianapolis, the real story of the Graf Spee has never been adequately portrayed.

Talk about a conscientious warrior...  He left the Exeter disabled yet afloat rather than put the British crew in peril by finishing her off.  They don't show any of that.

1939 was a gentlemanly time when no captain wanted to be seen as a diabolical butcher.  They felt a political solution was still possible.

Something similar happened in the Pacific war right after Pearl Harbor.  Japanese submarines early on, would surface and make sure the sunken crew was alright and had ample provisions before continuing on in their mission.

Alpha Tester
4,619 posts
2,400 battles

I know my choice for Nolan's next project isn't ship or military-related, but the news on the upcoming Bohemian Rhapsody biopic got me thinking that I'd love to see a movie on the creation of the album Rumours by Fleetwood Mac. There's a very intriguing story behind it full of love, loss, heartbreak, addiction, betrayal, and how one of the greatest albums of all time was created in the middle of this strife. I'd love to see a good director try to put it to the silver screen. If that isn't an option, I'd love to see him take a shot at making a movie about the making of the song Layla by Derek and the Dominos (In case you didn't know, Eric Clapton wrote the song as a declaration of his feelings towards Patti Boyd, who at the time was married to George Harrison). The story of it has similar themes to that of the making of Rumours.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,174 posts
2,029 battles

Battle off Samar would be fantastic.

Mezzo-Agosto/Operation Pedestal would be pretty awesome too, I think.

A remake of the Raid on Alexandria, for sure. 

Any maybe the infamous 'Barroom brawl' <-- that would be confusing as hell, but epic. As long as he reads the relevant chapter from Neptune's Inferno (fantastic book, btw), he'll have plenty of ideas of how to adapt it.

My others would be either a remake of the Graf Spee's adventures, or one of the oft-ignored Battle of the Coral Sea.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles
12 hours ago, Phoenix_jz said:

, or one of the oft-ignored Battle of the Coral Sea.

Like when Japanese planes almost landed on the Yorktown...   If the Yorktown gunners had only held their fire a few seconds longer...

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
96 posts
5,716 battles

Or even "The Story of the High Seas Fleet", following them from development during the arms race w/ England up through the surrender & internment at Scapa, then the Great Scuttle Caper to end it on a high (low) note....

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

I'd love for him to do a throwback to the old days of WWI aerial cinematography.  Movies like "The Blue Max" or "Dawn Patrol" or "Hells Angels".  Heck I'd be happy with anything WWI honestly.  Alvin York for instance, or something covering the Battle of Verdun, the Somme or Passchendaele.  But these would all be niche movies really...  Not to many into WWI history. 

[FDK]
Members
1,070 posts
6,019 battles
On 14/9/2017 at 7:28 AM, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

As we all know, Christopher Nolan made the movie Dunkirk and it was a truly incredible story that managed to encapsulate almost everything about the evacuation and how it felt for the soldiers on the ground, the navy and civilians on the seas and the pilots in the sky. A topic recently came up about the horrible Indianapolis movie which was compared to I quote "I would place it as entertaining as grinding a Colorado in a string of T9 carrier battles." a fitting description by @AVR_Project for that insult to the tragedy of the disaster itself. However that got me thinking how would it be if Nolan got to remake it like his movie Dunkirk? I can imagine him taking the views of the various people involved (especially the view of the captain of I-58 who actually defended McVay by saying zig-zaging would not have saved the ship) and showing the hardships they suffered and what the Navy dd to try and cover it up and Captain McVay's eventual pardon of blame. So I'm asking if Nolan had asked to do another Dunkirk-style movie what battle would you want him to do? give me your top 5 (if you ca't decide just put it as a tie) or if you have more do more. Here are my top 5 (+1).

1. Battle of Leyte Gulf

2. Battle of Midway or Pearl Harbor (tied)

3. Battle of Jutland or Battle of Guadalcanal (tied)

4. D-day/Battle of Normandy or Battle of Kursk (tied)

5. Battle of Stalingrad or Second Battle of El Alimein (tied)

6. Battle of the Coral Sea or Indianapolis sinking

How about a director's cut of "Dunkirk", featuring French and British colonial troops?

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Members
308 posts
4,547 battles
On 14/09/2017 at 6:20 PM, AVR_Project said:

In addition to the Indianapolis, the real story of the Graf Spee has never been adequately portrayed.

Talk about a conscientious warrior...  He left the Exeter disabled yet afloat rather than put the British crew in peril by finishing her off.  They don't show any of that.

1939 was a gentlemanly time when no captain wanted to be seen as a diabolical butcher.  They felt a political solution was still possible.

Something similar happened in the Pacific war right after Pearl Harbor.  Japanese submarines early on, would surface and make sure the sunken crew was alright and had ample provisions before continuing on in their mission.

The 1956 film was (for it's time) a relatively accurate portrayal of the Battle of the River Plate. It had most of the key features of the engagement and the aftermath.

[SYN]
Members
14,346 posts
10,218 battles

Something with the last emperor of China or Korea would be interesting, although IDK if Nolan could do it.

Alpha Tester
4,619 posts
2,400 battles

Vimy Ridge. Written, produced, directed by, and starring Canadians, of course.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,387 battles
5 hours ago, Monty9185 said:

The 1956 film was (for it's time) a relatively accurate portrayal of the Battle of the River Plate. It had most of the key features of the engagement and the aftermath.

As a matter of fact, I just ground out the Graf Spee today..  It's disguised as the US Cruiser Des Moines.