You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

There's no such thing as "farming damage"

92 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

Player A charges to the closes cap.  Pops smoke.  Gets radar'd (because he never cared to take two seconds to see who on the enemy team has radar during the loading screen and wait to see where they are spotted on the map) or sits broadside and gets torped and is dead in less than 3 minutes.  See this play out every other match, sometimes more than one DD in a  single match does this.

He suicides himself in less than 3 minutes claiming either he was rightly going after the objective and it's the team's fault for not supporting him (without ever asking for support and receiving confirmation of support) or that others on the team are just there "farming damage."  Farming damage and it's not even 5 minutes into the match... that's rich.   Isn't that just regular damage?  "Oh but he's shooting from further away so it's farming."  Uh no, he's using the range his guns gave him and because he's doing damage while not taking much or any at all, that's called "using your brain."  Of course Player A LOVES to paint the image that the only alternative to suiciding that quickly is to drive to the edge of the map and hide without doing any meaningful amount of damage.  And they especially love accusing folks with already over 100k damage of not contributing.

Of course Player A is simply trying to distract from the fact that he went full failtard, so he's got to come up with some sort of "defense" to deflect away from the fact that he lacks the intelligence to be a Walmart greeter.  There is ZERO excuse (outside of detonations of course) for sinking before even 5 minutes, let alone 3.  Especially when they claim that they did it because they are a team player.  No.  A team player is someone that actually fulfills their 1/12 of their responsibility toward the team's primary objective: winning.  Over 90% of matches go past 10 minutes.  If you're not alive to affect the win, you're nothing, worthless.  Don't believe me? Instead of trolling, prove me wrong.  Post the videos where your team loses a match when ALL 12 lived past 10 minutes.  Because those that disagree with me act like it happens all the time so it should take no time at all to post them.

So these dead players love to stick around during the match and blame blame blame on other people.  Claim the others on the team are not there to win, just to farm damage.  Well guess what.  Those enemy battleships and all their hitpoints have to reach zero to sink.  Someone has to do it.  If Player A is dead in less than 3 minutes, that someone isn't him.  If he finished in the bottom 5 spots on the scoreboard with less than 500 points, he barely made a dent.

Yes caps are very important (but not at all in the first 5 minutes, in fact most caps are strategically vulnerable so it's often better to let the enemy charge in and shoot them like fish in a barrel, then cap after you kill them).  But how do you think caps are not just captured but kept?  That's right.  Damage.  Massive insane amounts of damage that leads to ships sinking and their guns being removed from the match.  Because if your team is up by 3+ ships, it's 10 times easier to cap and KEEP them.  Unicum players understand this very 1st grade elementary concept.  For those that are still struggling with this concept and wonder why they can't break above a 50% win rate, please get a clue.  The most fundamental take-away from this is that skilled players do above average damage to the enemy while minimizing damage taken.  The wider the gap (especially on damage done to the enemy), the greater the skill.  PERIOD.

P.S.  And there's no such thing as kill stealing either.

P.P.S.  And stop obsessing about being pink you fragile little daffodils.  It provides absolutely no penalty whatsoever.  If the color pink causes you to get emotionally hijacked, how are you going to survive in life?  Here's a clue "farming damage" actually removes it faster, you might want to try it sometime.  Lasting longer than 10 minutes really helps with that too.

P.P.P.S. If you're wondering why there's no Player B, Player C... etc. in this post, there just isn't.  Don't let the presence of a Player A with no Player B be a source of discomfort for you like being pink.  You have to learn to pick your battles.

• Cool 10

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
2 minutes ago, joris92 said:

Was blamed for being unable to protect a DD who said it was his job to scout a Fiji in a smoke cloud.

LoL that's another thing.  People always saying what they're sole, and exclusive "job" is in any given ship.  Pigeonholing themselves with such ridiculous tunnel vision.  A player's "job" is to do whatever it is that provides the greatest net return in affecting the win at any given second.  Period.  

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles
44 minutes ago, VGLance said:

P.P.S.  And stop obsessing about being pink you fragile little daffodils.  It provides absolutely no penalty whatsoever.  If the color pink causes you to get emotionally hijacked, how are you going to survive in life?  Here's a clue "farming damage" actually removes it faster, you might want to try it sometime.  Lasting longer than 10 minutes really helps with that too.

Lol, reverse teamkill shaming, that's a new one. "What are you, afraid to be pink?  CHICKEN!"

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1

[-I-]
Members
1,719 posts
10,218 battles

Eh. I think there absolutely is such a thing as "farming damage", but that the term gets thrown around far far more than is applicable. But saying there's no such thing as making the absolute wrong play just for the sake of upping your damage is...incorrect.

Hell, it happens in Ranked not entirely infrequently, it's just called "saving the star" there.

• Cool 7

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles
45 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Claim the others on the team are not there to win, just to farm damage.  Well guess what.  Those enemy battleships and all their hitpoints have to reach zero to sink.  Someone has to do it.  If Player A is dead in less than 3 minutes, that someone isn't him.  If he finished in the bottom 5 spots on the scoreboard with less than 500 points, he barely made a dent.

Absolutely! Could not agree with you more. If someone is doing damage then they are helping the objective. It gets blown out of proportion and has become a taboo when someone mentions "damage farming". Guess what? The more this Yamato gets farmed the less like it is that he starts to one shot people.

+1 from me.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
1 minute ago, dngrcnnn said:

Eh. I think there absolutely is such a thing as "farming damage", but that the term gets thrown around far far more than is applicable. But saying there's no such thing as making the absolute wrong play just for the sake of upping your damage is...incorrect.

Hell, it happens in Ranked not entirely infrequently, it's just called "saving the star" there.

But that's when the match result is already a forgone conclusion and the secondary objective is the only one still obtainable:

Random:

Primary: Win

Secondary: Gather more xp/credits

Ranked:

Primary: Win

Secondary: Preserve a star

Like junk yardage at the end of a football game.  Except the difference here is that doing all that additional damage provides value and the real blame falls on those that didn't do the portion of damage they were responsible for.  And those people are usually the ones trolling.

If the match is still up for grabs and someone's doing 100-150 even 200k damage from range, they're not the reason the match is a loss.  There will always be a handful of players who suicided themselves without contributing anything or much at all that set the snowball effect into motion.

Another way to put it:  Give me 12 players who farm damage, all staying alive past 10 minutes, all doing even just 80k damage minimum in a T10 match, vs a team of suiciding players who all derp to the bottom of the ocean before 10 minutes.  Which team wins?

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

There most certainly is such a thing as farming damage.  And just about halfway though the second sentence in your second paragraph I had you nailed as a farmer.  (I was trying to ignore that purple sig, but that sort of stuck out). 

Let me share for you, a similar story, just from a slightly different perspective.  

My team calls me out to run a cap.  As one of only 2 DD's, that is my "job", so off I go.  My designation wasn't perfect, and I knew I was going to run into the other DD there, most likely the US DD which had a gun advantage, so I asked for a cruiser to maybe follow me up so when I did end up spotting him, or vice versa, I had some guns behind me.  Well everyone was really gung ho for me while I ran up there.  But the second I needed them they were nowhere to be seen.  Never seen so many people turn around so fast.  Somehow, I lived through that first encounter.  Late in the game,  it is me, a cruiser on my side.  A Bayern and a York on the enemy side.  I had the lead and told the CA on my end I was making a torp run on the BB and could be get the York off me.   Situation unfolds..  My CA is sitting by an island raining HE on the BB, which was almost out of his range..  he wasn't even hitting him.  And I had to fight off the York on my own.  Again luck I didn't die. 

Damage farming is not only a real thing.  It is a rampant thing.  It is a plague on the flipping game. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

Where is Pope Shizzle?  He did a really nice write up about damage farming not too long ago.  Really bragged it up.  Lots of big purple big wigs were in there propping it too.  Maybe I should see if I can dig that up. 

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles

Farming damage is a thing. Unnecessary kill securing is a thing. Both of these can lose you the match.

• Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
9 minutes ago, m373x said:

Farming damage is a thing. Unnecessary kill securing is a thing. Both of these can lose you the match.

I am all about kill secure.  A dead ship can't shoot.  end of story.  Many a match where I have been saved by a secure shot.  I never complain.  Can't say that I have ever attributed a loss to someone securing a kill.  Can say I have seen a lot of matches lost by people farming stats. Even seen a few posts here about it.  One guy even posted how he, in ranked play, would intentionally leave the team that he thought was lost and farm damage just yo not lose a star.  if you are that good help your team win.  Just don't bail at the start and farm while you give it up.

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles
7 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I am all about kill secure.  A dead ship can't shoot.  end of story.  Many a match where I have been saved by a secure shot.  I never complain.  Can't say that I have ever attributed a loss to someone securing a kill.  Can say I have seen a lot of matches lost by people farming stats. Even seen a few posts here about it.  One guy even posted how he, in ranked play, would intentionally leave the team that he thought was lost and farm damage just yo not lose a star.  if you are that good help your team win.  Just don't bail at the start and farm while you give it up.

I've lost more than one match because of a battleships firing full salvo on a burning 2k HP cruiser 10 km away while another healthy cruiser is closing in to torpedo them. A dead ship can't shoot but a near dead ship under fire needs no 12 Montana shells to finish the job.

• Cool 1

Members
109 posts
2,701 battles

ok....please explain to this frenchie what is ''Kill securing''?   maybe I,m just dumb...lol....thanks

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, m373x said:

I've lost more than one match because of a battleships firing full salvo on a burning 2k HP cruiser 10 km away while another healthy cruiser is closing in to torpedo them. A dead ship can't shoot but a near dead ship under fire needs no 12 Montana shells to finish the job.

That I agree with..about 90%.   As a BB main I will usually knock a cruiser down, then call out for someone to clean it up while my guns reload and I get on the next guy,   but if no one cleans it and I have a choice between taking a target out and maybe just taking another full health target down, and leaving both alive in front of me.  I am going to take out the for sure one and take my chances with the other rather than take chances with two.  I get what you are saying, but that is the best option.  The game may have went the wrong way, but my guess that in that situation if it came to that, the game was lost anyway.  I hate dropping a salvo on a basically dead target, but if I have no choice I will. 

Members
659 posts
4,240 battles

Your point about people being overly aggressive and dying too early is completely right but yes there is absolutely such a thing as farming damage. It happens in Ranked all the time and not just when the battle is already lost. It happens in randoms as well. I've seen plenty of cruisers focus on setting fires on a distant and healthy BB rather than fire at spotted DDs. 

Terms can be and are misused all the time but that doesn't mean the actual behavior doesn't exist. 

• Cool 3

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Rocketpacman said:

Your point about people being overly aggressive and dying too early is completely right but yes there is absolutely such a thing as farming damage. It happens in Ranked all the time and not just when the battle is already lost. It happens in randoms as well. I've seen plenty of cruisers focus on setting fires on a distant and healthy BB rather than fire at spotted DDs. 

Terms can be and are misused all the time but that doesn't mean the actual behavior doesn't exist. 

Yep.  +1 for your post.  Especially for the ranked comment. 

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles
1 minute ago, Rocketpacman said:

I've seen plenty of cruisers focus on setting fires on a distant and healthy BB rather than fire at spotted DDs. 

I think  we've all been guilty of doing this.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, m373x said:

I think  we've all been guilty of doing this.

Dammit...  I like killing dd's    Guess I am wrong again.  One day I will learn to play this game right. 

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,068 posts
7,503 battles

So if I'm in a cruiser and do 60,000 damage to battleships using HE+fire, and they repair all of that damage, what did I actually contribute?

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
6 minutes ago, Seraphil said:

So if I'm in a cruiser and do 60,000 damage to battleships using HE+fire, and they repair all of that damage, what did I actually contribute?

My first response would be to say nothing, BUT, depending on what point in the battle you forced the BB to use his repair, you could have done something.  In my GK I always start the match in HE with my spoitter up.  I lob long range shots at the first things I see.  More often than not I get a fire going.  One way or the other I make them use a consumable before they would normally.  That is an advantage later.  If you can force an early use of a consumable, then that is a factor.  If not then, well..  You didn't do anything. 

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles
17 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Dammit...  I like killing dd's    Guess I am wrong again.  One day I will learn to play this game right. 

I've played against you in a DD and you totally ignored me so you can fight an Amagi in your Kurfurst...

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

I play to win, and with that comes damage.

End of story for me. 

• Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, m373x said:

I've played against you in a DD and you totally ignored me so you can fight an Amagi in your Kurfurst...

If I had you in a DD, and an Amagi, both in range in my GK then I would have had my seconds focused on you while I had my guns on the Amagi.    If my drunk gunners didn't shoot to your satisfaction then I will have them keel hauled.  That is just the way that goes.  Big guns big target.  Little guns little target.  And hope it works.  I remember playing with you.  Had a few fun games if I recall. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

I play to win, and with that comes damage.

End of story for me. 

You get my message little shark?