You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wolcott

Battle of Midway movie in the works

103 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

http://deadline.com/2017/09/midway-roland-emmerich-lionsgate-wwii-epic-mark-gordon-1202167276/

Personally I'm not a fan of Roland Emmerich. But no doubt WG will want to capitalize on another blockbuster movie the same way they did for Dunkirk, which I honestly don't mind if it means getting another historical battle. I guess we can expect a Midway PvE operation when the movie comes out, probably in 2019?

So far we already have three aircraft carriers that participated in the battle: Hiryu, Kaga and Enterprise. Akagi and Tone have also been modelled but both remain in development hell. The latter was merely a support ship, but it was her scouting aircraft that spotted the American fleet. With a movie coming out maybe it's time for WG to do some dusting on these long neglected ships.

?plugin=ref&page=Akagi&src=%C0%D6%BE%EB(

Tone_wows_main.jpg

There is a problem with Enterprise though. The ship we have in the game is in her 1944 configuration. At Midway, she carried F4F Wildcats, TBD Devastators and SBD Dauntlesses.

TBDs_on_USS_Enterprise_(CV-6)_during_Bat

Her AA back then was the ineffective quad 1.1-inch (28 mm) gun. According to navypedia, all three Yorktown CVs had eight 5-inch (127 mm) guns, 24 M2 Brownings, 32 Oerlikon 20 mm cannons and four quad 1.1-inch guns.

ouemo.asp.jpeg

Does that make all three Yorktowns basically the same ship then? Not exactly. Firstly their camouflage schemes were different. Below are Hornet, Yorktown and Enterprise.

trumpeter-1-200-uss-hornet-3.jpg

usn_cv_yorktown.png

uss-enterprise-cv6-8.jpg

Hornet's TBD Devastators were also equipped with twin .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns for the rear gunner, a field modification that was unique to Torpedo Squadron 8 (VT-8). Granted it didn't save them from annihilation at Midway, but gameplay wise perhaps they could receive an increased DPS? Let's not forget that Hornet also carried 16 B-25s for the Doolittle Raid, but that's a story for another time.

Vt8tbd-t16-4june1942_waldron.jpg

4b494befc5cad5d861d6bde5e36ab61a.jpg

Fingers crossed and thanks for looking!

• Cool 6

Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles
13 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Another "''Murika [edited] Yeah!" movie. There's a Japanese movie that's about midway, worth a watch. It made Yamamoto Isoroku a very sympathetic figure. 

While it wasn't the greatest movie in history, I thought that the 1976 Midway film did a good job of portraying both sides as human beings. 

• Cool 6

[JR]
[JR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
390 posts
4,124 battles

I have my reservations about modern war movies.  Dunkirk really sold it for me but I'm still traumatized by Micheal Bay's Pearl Harbor.  Its all about massive explosions and equally massive CGI budgets these days.

God, I sound old.

• Cool 6

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
5 minutes ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

I have my reservations about modern war movies.  Dunkirk really sold it for me but I'm still traumatized by Micheal Bay's Pearl Harbor.  Its all about massive explosions and equally massive CGI budgets these days.

God, I sound old.

Ha, I paid real money to watch Pearl Harbor in a theater.  I regret that loss of a few hours of my life and some good money.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
3 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Another "''Murika [edited] Yeah!" movie. There's a Japanese movie that's about midway, worth a watch. It made Yamamoto Isoroku a very sympathetic figure. 

Except WG can't capitalize on a movie that came out six years ago and was made for a Japanese audience.

1 hour ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

God, I sound old.

Which is why I'm not excited about this movie. But if it means getting a Midway PvE scenario and maybe the CV rework sooner than later, then I'm all for it.

On the bright side, Emmerich has absolutely no excuse to use the wrong ships and planes when he has CGI.

[REVY]
Members
6,017 posts
5,102 battles

This only came out in 2011.  Given the current state of Hollywood, I don't really trust them to make a good war movie anymore.  Either it's going to be unrealistic nonsense, or it's going to treat war as some noble adventure.

Edited by Sventex

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,072 posts
7,519 battles

Oh this is certainly a new and interesting battle to do a movie about!  Oh, wait...

[ARGSY]
5,120 posts
18,633 battles

Roland Emmerich... so I guess they will not use the book "Shattered Sword" as a source for the movie. But there will be lot's of special effects.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

Either it's going to be unrealistic nonsense, or it's going to treat war as some noble adventure.

Surely Midway can't be as farfetched as a stationary Sherman tank virtually wiping out an entire elite Waffen SS unit? :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles

it will more than likely be a lot of CGI.   It is not like it was 60 years ago where you may of had plenty of old WW2 equipment laying around that worked or was in good condition.  same for ships.

The midway movie that came out 40 years or so ago used a fair amount of WW2 film footage from the navy if memory serves. 

i remember being told stories about that movie in the theater though.  It made the whole place shake, and you could hear the trailer blasting people in the neighboring theater.  that would of been fun to be a part of. 

[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
2,737 posts
2,014 battles
3 hours ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

but I'm still traumatized by Micheal Bay's Pearl Harbor.  Its all about massive explosions and equally massive CGI budgets these days.

God, I sound old.

Oh, you mean that Pearl Harbor movie where they never bothered editing our fine USN modern ships into actual period ships during the explosion scenes?

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
4,334 posts
9,288 battles
4 hours ago, RevolutionBlues said:

While it wasn't the greatest movie in history, I thought that the 1976 Midway film did a good job of portraying both sides as human beings. 

Midway was a darned fine movie.  I fear any attempt at a modern version will fall well short of that benchmark.

3 hours ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

God, I sound old.

I don't think you sound old.  Then again, I am old.  So there is that.  You are absolutely correct.  I wasn't a fan of Dunkirk, really.  I thought it came close, but some things really seemed to miss the mark for me.

2 hours ago, Sventex said:

Given the current state of Hollywood, I don't really trust them to make a good war movie anymore.  Either it's going to be unrealistic nonsense, or it's going to treat war as some noble adventure.

There have been some notable exceptions.  13 Hours was fantastic.  Men of Valor was excellent, as well.  Although it isn't recent, nor a true 'movie', Band of Brothers was epic.

Edited by desmo_2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles
1 hour ago, Wolcott said:

Surely Midway can't be as farfetched as a stationary Sherman tank virtually wiping out an entire elite Waffen SS unit? :Smile_teethhappy:

"Elite" and "Waffen SS" are oxymorons by the ultra-late timeframe of Fury's setting in 1945.  The Allies were in Germany and by that time, the Russians are definitely smashing faces in the Eastern part of the country.  The German military was broken, the veteran, well trained troops that entered 1942 are almost all dead, maimed, or captured after 3 years of losing a catastrophic war.  The Luftwaffe was nonexistent.  The Panzerwaffen was shattered.  IMO, to show "Elite" German formations in 1945 of Fury's setting is truly science fiction.  That's true wehraboo-wanking.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

Members
616 posts
3,326 battles
5 hours ago, RevolutionBlues said:

Not just the portrayal of the people involved, but also the historical events, like the little-known "Operation K" that was thwarted, or the delay to the Tone's Scout 4.

A shame they had to use stock footage for the action sequences. Hence why I refer to it as "The Poor Man's 'Tora, Tora, Tora!'."

Members
1 post

I can attest to the sound when Midway was released. Saw it on a road trip to Chicago in 1970's, in "Sensaround Sound". I can remember the seats in the theatre shaking and vibrating from the sound of the explosions !

Not sure this would pass the building code in some theatres now, lol.

Am wanting a good new World War 2 movie to be made. Seems like the less younger people know about history, the less of a  need to make a new movie about it.

Have Fun, Good Luck

Members
17,789 posts
5,084 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"Elite" and "Waffen SS" are oxymorons by the ultra-late timeframe of Fury's setting in 1945.  The Allies were in Germany and by that time, the Russians are definitely smashing faces in the Eastern part of the country.  The German military was broken, the veteran, well trained troops that entered 1942 are almost all dead, maimed, or captured after 3 years of losing a catastrophic war.  The Luftwaffe was nonexistent.  The Panzerwaffen was shattered.  IMO, to show "Elite" German formations in 1945 of Fury's setting is truly science fiction.  That's true wehraboo-wanking.

Still though, if anything was available, the SS got dibs. They got the best of whatever was left, so the commander would likely have been experienced, (even if brevetted above his usual rank) and there would be a sprinkling of experienced NCOs, plus they would be well-equipped. 

They basically fought like Native Americans in a John Ford western. They would have taken casualties, but should have had little problem taking out a lone immobile tank.

Members
17,789 posts
5,084 battles
51 minutes ago, BrentD15 said:

Not just the portrayal of the people involved, but also the historical events, like the little-known "Operation K" that was thwarted, or the delay to the Tone's Scout 4.

A shame they had to use stock footage for the action sequences. Hence why I refer to it as "The Poor Man's 'Tora, Tora, Tora!'."

Which was an excellent movie. Being a Japanese-American co-production, it really humanised both sides well.

If you were completely ignorant of history and didn't know the background history, it's 50/50 who you'd root for.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,423 battles
7 hours ago, NeutralState said:

Umm there's also a movie named "Midway" starring Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda.

• Cool 1

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,363 posts
5,025 battles

Oh god, not Roland Emmerich. He is a hack, and his movies have only gotten worse. White House Down was funny bad. That second Independence Day movie was mostly just bad-bad, though the completely pointless Judd Hirsch subplot was unintentionally hilarious at times. Emmerich is up there with Michael Bay as far as low-brow pandering, tone issues, disregard for history, sloppy directing, and just general hackery are concerned. We all know how Bay's Pearl Harbor turned out.

Edited by AdmiralPiett
  • Cool 2

[T-RIP]
[T-RIP]
Members
1,043 posts
8,052 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ha, I paid real money to watch Pearl Harbor in a theater.  I regret that loss of a few hours of my life and some good money.

Best part of the movie was Kate Beckinsale, a least you got to see her on a bigger screen than I. lol

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,484 battles
1 hour ago, BrentD15 said:

Hey Brent! - I love how this game bring out the students of history!

Operation K was the part of the Midway battle plane to scout Pearl Harbor prior to the battle to see if the US ships were still there, giving reassurance that the Japanese would have a relatively free hand at Midway.  This had a similar in purpose to the string of IJN picket subs that were deployed to warn of any ships coming toward Midway from Pearl.  Unfortunately for the Japanese, thanks to the Hypo (US code breakers based at Pearl) intercepts, TF 16 (Enterprise, Hornet) & TF 17 (Yorktown) had already passed the picket line on the way to "Point Luck" before the Japanese completed deployment.  

The failure of Operation K was due to another little known fact - the Japanese tried a number of post-Pearl Harbor bombing raids using long range seaplanes which refueled using tanker subs at French Frigate shoals.  This was the same premise for the Operation K scouting mission.  By the time of Midway, thanks to Hypo & these previous failed bombing attempts, the US had figured out where the Japanese refueling point was & stationed a US warship there which resulted in the failure of this part of the operation.

The Tone scout plane that Brent notes was huge & may have determined the entire outcome of the battle.  The Japanese had believed their previous precautions/strategic plan elements  (sub picket line, diversionary attack on the Aleutians, intentional reveal of the Midway invasion force to lure any US West to be flanked by the IJN Carrier Strike group) were reasonable safeguards that gave them a false sense of security.  As such, their aerial reconnaissance plan was very thinly conceived resulting in basically a one-shot chance at spotting any enemy fleet.  7 ships (a combination of CVs & float-plane equipped Cruisers of which the Tone was one) provided aircraft for a fanned search pattern covering a quadrant primarily NE of the CV strike group - to the Japanese' credit, they anticipated correctly where a US attack would come from if they themselves were to be attacked.  

Unfortunately, for the Japanese, the Tone's catapult problems delayed the launch of the Tone scout & its search pattern.  If it had launched on time, it would have overflown one of the US task groups & the entire unlikely and fortuitous timing of events (returning of the IJN Midway strike coupled w/ the confusion of what type of ships were in the US fleet that had been spotted) might never have happened.  As it happened, the US carrier strike (well, those from the Enterprise & Yorktown & Hornet's TB squadron) caught the fully loaded IJN strike armed & ready for launch w/ ordinance not returned to their magazines and resulted in the destruction of the Kaga, Akagi & Soryu.  If the Tone scout had not been delayed, the sudden and dramatic turning point of the Pacific War may not have unfolded as it did.

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,751 posts
6,727 battles
1 hour ago, hangglide42 said:

Unfortunately, for the Japanese, the Tone's catapult problems delayed the launch of the Tone scout & its search pattern.  If it had launched on time, it would have overflown one of the US task groups 

This is a myth. In fact, Tone #4 detected the American ships only because it was launched late and changed the search pattern. Had it flown as planned, it would most certainly miss the Americans. If somebody should be blamed here, it's Chikuma's #1.

409784_original.jpg

Parshall and Tully's book Shattered Sword was already mentioned in this thread; I highly recommend reading it if you're interested in the Battle of Midway. It's probably the best comprehensive work on the subject that exists in the English literature right now. Diagram above is from that book.

• Cool 3