Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AVR_Project

Just purchased and watched the Indianapolis movie.

5 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles

If I follow the rule that if I can't say anything good, then don't say anything...  I'm done.
OK.. Here goes...
I'd like to congratulate the writers on their diverse imaginative creativity contrasting to the accepted facts of the situation.  It made me think (and vomit).
After all, the raw truth is dramatic enough.  They obviously wanted to save money on special effects, so they filled it with 'human interest' stories.
It's too bad the sharks in this movie were obvious rubber dummies.  I probably would have been rooting for the sharks -- oooooh that actor next!  PLEASE!

They did not capture the horror or confusion of a torpedo attack.
They did not show hundreds of sailors spread out over the water.
The evacuation of the Indianapolis was far more orderly than the 'Titanic-like' scene with crew screaming and running like scared little school girls.
And their depiction of the Japanese submarine captain, and the after-action situation was very creative (bald faced lie).  Would have been more truthful if they high-fived and headed back to Hiroshima for a few beers.

There was more terror from Robert Shaw's verbal description in Jaws, than the entire half of this movie in the water.

I would place it as entertaining as grinding a Colorado in a string of T9 carrier battles.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Not to mention the horrible depiction of Indianapolis herself. :Smile-angry:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
18 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

I would place it as entertaining as grinding a Colorado in a string of T9 carrier battles.

37162448_zpsa0285019.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit

Not that it isn't true. That movie was an insult to th crew and what they went through. If they ever revist the tragedy I hope it gets the Christopher Nolan treatment (personally I hope his next project is Leyte Gulf, can you imagine that?

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Never watched it and i don't plan on it. Sounds like I made the right decision.

It's available for free through torrents btw.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,381 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

37162448_zpsa0285019.jpg?w=280&h=210&fit

Not that it isn't true. That movie was an insult to th crew and what they went through. If they ever revist the tragedy I hope it gets the Christopher Nolan treatment (personally I hope his next project is Leyte Gulf, can you imagine that?

If it can be told from the Japanese perspective, it would do it justice.  Imagine dodging torpedoes and bombs from multiple carriers as the health of your Yamato class battleship slowly melts away.  Then you watch it sink without ever firing a shot....

Actually, sounds like a few missions I've had on carrier weekend.

Sign in to follow this