You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Am I crazy? Emile Bertin?

27 comments in this topic

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles

I do like the lower tier French cruisers.  Delicate....yes.  I have Friant....nice ship. I just bought the Emile.  Played 1 game in co-op. I know that random is MUCH MUCH tuffer.  I just got the feel of her. Crazy fast cruiser.  Good guns. Am I nuts?  Is this juiced up snail a good ship?  How do you play it?  Hell it is faster than the DDs in this 1 co-op game I played. I think maybe run and gun!  I am way average but I like fast ships. Ya. Comments welcome.  Good?  Bad? Indifferent?

Lafayette...."We are here".  Gen John "Blackjack" Pershing in 1917 (WW I) at the grave of Lafayette.....laid a wreath and a salute on him.  Much weeping among the French.

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
293 posts

Yes! Get out there and play those ships.  I need more cruisers to shoot at! :cap_rambo:

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles
33 minutes ago, Vulgarr said:

Yes! Get out there and play those ships.  I need more cruisers to shoot at! :cap_rambo:

Ha Ha!  OK!  What u play?  SLOOOOOOW boring BBs?  Slow.  Boring. Boring. Slow. Not my idea of fun.  But.....carry on. Each to their own. :Smile_honoring:

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles
Just now, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

''Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm's way''-John Paul Jones....

Ya.  Check my avatar. Guess who?

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles
Just now, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Had that figured out! I am good on historic quotes!

He was a wild man!  Kinda guy that just REFUSED to be defeated.

"Strike!  I have not yet begun to fight." It's not in the history books but he also told that Brit captain to go F himself.  Heh. :Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,687 posts
15,215 battles

Had the Brits captured him they would have hung him from the nearest yardarm, He was, after all, a King's subject, born in the UK. Fighting for the rebels is treason! A short trial and a long drop...

[TF16B]
Members
8,059 posts
16,992 battles

Another cream-puff of a cruiser that can't seem to hurt anything? Kind of like the crumpet called Leander...

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,682 battles

The Bertin's guns are excellent- having the range to use her speed to great effect. She can hit hard with both AP and HE at relatively long ranges for the tier, and can be an absolute monster against battleships and other cruisers. Unlike Furutaka or Aoba, she has a decent number of guns (nine 155s to their six 203s) and a comparatively high fire rate, and as such, she is more effective at combating destroyers for the most part.

On top of all this, while she has few tubes, the torps on her are actually quite good and I've gotten many kills with them. 

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles

I like the Bertin quote a bit and decent silver maker for me.  High damage is 110K for me.  Just do not get too far forward (part of my issue) and use islands.  Go with Demo Expert to get more fires going.  5-8 boxes away from cap and a DD is starting to take the cap - full throttle and get to the cap.  I had almost a 62% win rate till recently - now down to just under 58%.

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles
On 9/13/2017 at 11:26 PM, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Had the Brits captured him they would have hung him from the nearest yardarm, He was, after all, a King's subject, born in the UK. Fighting for the rebels is treason! A short trial and a long drop...

All the colonists who fought against the Brits were traitors. Anyone who came to America and took up arms against the Brits were traitors. The were ALL, after all, British subjects...not just JPJ.

Referring to the Declaration of Independence...."I will sign and make it unanimous. Better to hang together than separately."  Ben Franklin

[SPTR]
Members
25,632 posts
10,816 battles

Emile for a CL is a fantasque ship until you look at your main gun's reload time.

12 long seconds but it makes up for it in other departments fortunately. /^_\\

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

I almost didn't want to move up the tech tree past Emile.  I loved it and as soon as I'm done with the grind I plan on buying her back

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,604 battles
On 9/13/2017 at 11:23 PM, dmckay said:

He was a wild man!  Kinda guy that just REFUSED to be defeated.

"Strike!  I have not yet begun to fight." It's not in the history books but he also told that Brit captain to go F himself.  Heh. :Smile_glasses:

LO friggin L, great post.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,712 posts
9,419 battles
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, Vulgarr said:

Yes! Get out there and play those ships.  I need more cruisers to shoot at!

random game? and I hope you are capt_corgi again so I can get another 500 ka-ching

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,712 posts
9,419 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Emile Bertin is a VERY fun ship. I actually preferred her to the La Gal right after.

They get BETTER from t7 onward ..... of course the play style also change

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[SPTR]
Members
25,632 posts
10,816 battles
On 22/09/2017 at 8:14 AM, KaptainKaybe said:

Emile Bertin is a VERY fun ship. I actually preferred her to the La Gal right after.

La Gas(passing wind cause how much it stinks to many) isn't something to get hyped about, now that I need a 3rd t6 ship for scenarios, La Passed Wind is straight of the bat off the table of choices along with the DDs.

I would agree with you that Emile Boltin is an awesome ship in a strained mm of mine that me and my kongo div mate of mine got into (2 CVs, 3 BBs and a cruiser in each team) I played this like a shock trooper I looped the long way around the map without drawing attention and caught both CVs with their pants down killed both of them, their teammates that tried to intervened to save them which is a german cruiser and a Orion came late to save the Zuiho which came running to them so I shredded the cruiser to death and took down the Orion with me by burning him down. shot-17.09.22_23.55.45-0349.jpg

[DD214]
Members
757 posts
On 9/13/2017 at 11:13 PM, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

''Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harm's way''-John Paul Jones....

Just a small adjustment, the actual (and one of my favorite) quote is "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." 

[ADR]
Members
809 posts
5,472 battles

It has been one of my favorite ships. I had a lousy win rate with it, but I did well with the ship. My advice is stay at near your max range, use your speed to dodge return fire and kill your enemy with fire. If I go back and buy it as a keeper and I might, I would go IFHE and DE and I think it would be possibly the best tier 5 cruiser. but I really loved that ship.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,139 posts

Pretty much all the low tier Frenchies were great, culminating with Bertin.  It was one of those wonderful "Each new ship is better than the last!!" grinds.

Then I hit La Glass...  It felt like one too many trips to the well.  And being uber paper vs tier 8's is bad for your health.  The Preemie is just as bad.  I ended up free xp-ing to Algerie, and I'm glad I did- it was love at first play!

Fwiw- I didn't like ANY tier 6 cruiser other than Nurnberg.  Aoba was semi-tolerable, because Furry Taco is awesome.  The MM just sucks rocks, and sucks the fun out of playing these cruisers.

Beta Testers
113 posts
5,413 battles

The Emile is quite the amazing ship. She can contest the cap early with her good concealment, speed, and manuverability.  You can also play her as a DD hunter. But you must be cautious not to over-extend. CE + AR is excellent to get started. I DO NOT run IFHE, since French cruisers are excellent fire starters. If you must confront battleships, set them on fire and conceal. Drop your 9km lances, kite, and burn them down. Free XP over the Le Gas.