You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoneStormchaser

BANNED

12 comments in this topic

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
133 posts
6,988 battles

Do you mind explaining what does security software have to do with WoWS?

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

Governmental agencies have to abide by rules and regulations that private individuals do not. There are many reasons that the government might ban the use of certain software. One might be standardisation, another security clearance issue and the ability to control what gets included (like governmental agency "bacdoors"). Also, certain bids, by law, must go to US companies whenever feasible. Finally, certain factions in the US government, especially since the last US presidential election, consider it expedient to at least make a show of distancing themselves from anything Russian. Personally, I don't use Kapersky, not because the developers are Russian but because you can get the same protection for free from other sources.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
617 posts
7,282 battles

Funny I have this program installed in my computer...
Tempting to uninstall it

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
915 posts
18,017 battles
19 minutes ago, Termx said:

Does WG ensure our security when we make purchases?  I would hope so.

Edited by BaronVonTom

Members
1,781 posts
8,123 battles

This has been an ongoing issue since the election. The govt demanded to see their source code and they refused. That is somewhat understandable and many US companies agreed. Regardless of course code Russian intel could show up at kaspersky any time and demand malware be inserted into their program and there isnt much they could do about it.

[P2W]
Members
688 posts
1 hour ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Not that it matters much in WOWS, but Kaspersky has apparently been working with the FSB.  Came out in bloomberg a couple of months ago.

And actually seeing as WG is based in Europe you probably want them to use the big K as it has also been tied to locating people doing ddos attacks and directing the FSB on where to go find them.

Nothing says more about getting you a better ping time then sending a FSB squad to take care of the issue! :cap_rambo:

Edited by DESRON10

[COOP]
Members
811 posts
4,283 battles

It is very reasonable for the government to take precautions with a foreign software vendor. Where I see the issue is that very few people would have the actual skill set and desire to tell us what is actually happening. After nearly daily Russia scaremongering for the past 12-18 months, I'll wait for actual evidence rather than "because we said so." Besides, I would venture to guess that many of us have a lot more to lose with our own government spying on us than the media specter of Vladimir Putin, Russian hackers, etc. Just as there might be issues with Kaspersky and the FSB, there is nothing to prevent the NSA from showing up at Microsoft and "requesting" additional "telemetry" be inserted into the next Windows Update. Now, if you're Russian, FSB spyware in your AV software may be something to worry about. 

Edited by UnseenSpectacle

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,404 battles

All antivirus softwares are virus/malware themselves. They develop viruses and send on internet, then they send you an update saying "here, we have the latest virus definitions".

True-Story-300x245.png

[RKLES]
Members
7,111 posts
8,758 battles
7 hours ago, Termx said:

Maybe because what I just heard a little of is they being wary of software that either can break onto something or has potential military applications....