Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IcyThor

Independence fighters

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

37
[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

I started playing Independence 2 days ago.  When I go against other Indy fighters my planes fall out of the sky like they are paper.  TB and DB are killed just as easily. 

I have the B hull, F6F-3 fighters, 1/1/1 configuration, Air Groups Mod 1 & 2.  I have Dog Fighting Expert, Expert Rear Gunner, Demolition Expert, Air Supremacy.  I fly the November Echo Setteseven signal. 

What else can I do to keep my planes in the sky? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[CASC1]
Members
24 posts
1,498 battles

I'm going to guess you have become the victim of strafing runs.  It's the alt attack for fighters.  Keep your groups split up and don't stack them. If you see an enemy fighter squad making a beeline toward your planes fly them to either side of his path (i.e. 90 degrees or greater away from his flight path) and if you have multiple groups in the path fly them in different directions.. it forces him to pick one group rather than the whole herd.

 

Edit: 90 degrees or greater means perpendicular or away from the path and back  toward them.  The idea being that flying towards the fighters minimizes the amount of time your group is in the firing line of the fighters

Edited by Tandin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425
[-BRS-]
Members
1,605 posts
13,183 battles

Oh that's ancient Chinese secret

More than likely at  T6 which means you need to know how to alt attack strafe pin all kinds of fun stuff that they didn't teach it to you at four or five

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,617
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,709 posts
11,324 battles

Like already stated you are probable getting strafed. Fighter strafes and manual drops start at t6 now. A strafe can decimate multiple squadrons in seconds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

I just watched a few videos on strafing and what happens to me seems to be different.  I click on their full squadron.  Both squadron icons overlap each other.  I end up killing 1-2 of their planes and my entire squadron is killed.  If I was being strafed their planes would die also?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
147 posts
11,659 battles

Strafing basically is a barage.  If u get caught in that box it basically kills everything in there friendly planes included.  I suggest u look up some CV guides such as Fara on you tube.  He is a top CV player and has lots of informative videos in how to play cv.  That is where I learnt to play them.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6
[CASC1]
Members
24 posts
1,498 battles
On 9/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, IcyThor said:

I just watched a few videos on strafing and what happens to me seems to be different.  I click on their full squadron.  Both squadron icons overlap each other.  I end up killing 1-2 of their planes and my entire squadron is killed.  If I was being strafed their planes would die also?

 

 

In a USN carrier (independence) with Air Superiority this doesn't really make a lot of sense unless they're using exit strafing and then re-strafing. I'd have to watch a replay of your matches to see specifically what might be happening.  It's unlikely their planes would die except in an exit strafe scenario.. all CVs except the Saipan (maybe Kaga and Enterprise, not sure) automatically lose one airplane doing an exit strafe.

 

If they're just in a fixed up dogfight, it sounds like you've managed to seriously anger the RNG gods.   Or you're way to close to hostile AA ships during the fight

Edited by Tandin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[USFTW]
Members
94 posts
1,884 battles

Enjoy

Independence is brutal. If you go all strike you will have your planes shot down instantly because all other t six loadouts have at least one fighter. Balanced is mediocre at best and with all 2-0-1 you have no offensive capability whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,583
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles

I'm willing to bet you were engaged in air-to-air within range of enemy AA.  That's something a lot of guys fall for at these tiers.  Do that around some ships like Cleveland, Atlanta, NC, Alabama, Kii, and you'll lose planes quick.  As Tandin said, showing a video / replay will be ideal and we can tell immediately what's going on.  But enemy AA is my bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
120 posts
6,330 battles

Check the modules you have on your ship. There's a couple mods that are for buffing Fighters, (Air groups Mod 1 and 2). One increases offensive fire-power, the other defensive HP as well as ammo.

I had mod 1, but not mod 2. I found fighter performance.. meh... Often getting beat in dogfights. I swapped in Mod 2, and dogfight performance improved.

 

Your mileage may vary.

 

Good luck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[BANDI]
Members
94 posts
13,848 battles

Indy fighters are wonderful. You just have to learn the use the alt attack straffe and all will run just fine.

Besides, there is no other way in upper tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
373 posts
5,700 battles

I noticed that today any IJN squads could lock up mine and wreck face with no strafing, even with me exit strafing their planes were easily able to catch and lock mine back up, to me looks like another typical case of wargamings awesome balancing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,583
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
On 10/13/2017 at 8:36 AM, SmokinCAT said:

I noticed that today any IJN squads could lock up mine and wreck face with no strafing, even with me exit strafing their planes were easily able to catch and lock mine back up, to me looks like another typical case of wargamings awesome balancing.

 

 

Going with some assumptions according to your post:

 

I'm assuming you have Stock Independence with 1 fighter since you reference your fighter capacity in singular form.

 

Since you're saying "IJN squads" that excludes Stock or Strike Ryujo as in those specs, she only has 1 fighter unit.  What you're running into is Air Superiority Ryujo with THREE fighter units for a total of 12 fighters max in the air.  With Air Supremacy trait, that max jumps out to 15 fighters in the air.

 

If you are Stock Independence, you have ZERO CHANCE of winning the air-to-air war.  You can if the Ryujo player is an absolute idiot.  But 1 fighter unit with 6 planes, or 1 fighter unit with 7 planes with Air Supremacy will not win that war of air attrition.  If you are Stock Indy, you have to be very careful in how you spend your fighter unit.  AS Ryujo has so many fighter units that she doesn't even need to strafe your 1 fighter unit.  Mind you, an AS Independence can do the same to you also, but with 2 fighter units only but considerably larger squadrons.

 

The good thing is that an AS Ryujo / AS Independence are very lacking in attack power.  If you are sacrificing your fighter capability, make sure to nail the bombers.  Forget the fighters.  AS CVs have very low bomber replacements, and at Tier VI, it takes very little to knock out their bomber capability out to depleted levels.  Be VERY CAREFUL with baiting tactics to get you to foolishly send out your fighter unit.

 

Another ploy to use with your single fighter unit is being purely defensive with it, using it to protect the part of the team likely to receive air attacks.  Use your fighter unit to strafe the bombers when they are getting close to your teammates.  When bombers come on their final attack run, the CV is heavily committed and will never pull them back once they are about 5-6km or so or less from target.  Execute a strafe pattern that will cover the area that the bombers will come on their attack run.

 

The opposing CV has 3 choices if you are doing this.

 

1.  Commit to the bombing run anyways, it's too late, but eat bomber losses due to your strafe in hopes of getting hits on the target.

 

2.  Commit their fighters first to attack your fighter unit and tie it down before the bombers.  However, by doing this your fighter is fighting in the presence of friendly AA.  You can also still strafe away to cover the bomber attack run lane.

 

3.  Pull back and look for another target to hit.

 

Get used to it.  That 1/1/1 Stock Spec is the same for all Tech Tree USN CVs from Tier VI-VIII.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
373 posts
5,700 battles
5 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

 

Going with some assumptions according to your post:

 

I'm assuming you have Stock Independence with 1 fighter since you reference your fighter capacity in singular form.

 

Since you're saying "IJN squads" that excludes Stock or Strike Ryujo as in those specs, she only has 1 fighter unit.  What you're running into is Air Superiority Ryujo with THREE fighter units for a total of 12 fighters max in the air.  With Air Supremacy trait, that max jumps out to 15 fighters in the air.

 

If you are Stock Independence, you have ZERO CHANCE of winning the air-to-air war.  You can if the Ryujo player is an absolute idiot.  But 1 fighter unit with 6 planes, or 1 fighter unit with 7 planes with Air Supremacy will not win that war of air attrition.  If you are Stock Indy, you have to be very careful in how you spend your fighter unit.  AS Ryujo has so many fighter units that she doesn't even need to strafe your 1 fighter unit.  Mind you, an AS Independence can do the same to you also, but with 2 fighter units only but considerably larger squadrons.

 

The good thing is that an AS Ryujo / AS Independence are very lacking in attack power.  If you are sacrificing your fighter capability, make sure to nail the bombers.  Forget the fighters.  AS CVs have very low bomber replacements, and at Tier VI, it takes very little to knock out their bomber capability out to depleted levels.  Be VERY CAREFUL with baiting tactics to get you to foolishly send out your fighter unit.

 

Another ploy to use with your single fighter unit is being purely defensive with it, using it to protect the part of the team likely to receive air attacks.  Use your fighter unit to strafe the bombers when they are getting close to your teammates.  When bombers come on their final attack run, the CV is heavily committed and will never pull them back once they are about 5-6km or so or less from target.  Execute a strafe pattern that will cover the area that the bombers will come on their attack run.

 

The opposing CV has 3 choices if you are doing this.

 

1.  Commit to the bombing run anyways, it's too late, but eat bomber losses due to your strafe in hopes of getting hits on the target.

 

2.  Commit their fighters first to attack your fighter unit and tie it down before the bombers.  However, by doing this your fighter is fighting in the presence of friendly AA.  You can also still strafe away to cover the bomber attack run lane.

 

3.  Pull back and look for another target to hit.

 

Get used to it.  That 1/1/1 Stock Spec is the same for all Tech Tree USN CVs from Tier VI-VIII.

Ship was upgraded from the get go and I run AS and the 2 fighter setup, I have quit playing the ship since that happened, I don't like being a burden on the team when a ship cant do much of anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
92 posts
1,880 battles

On 9/13/2017 at 8:09 PM, IcyThor said:

I started playing Independence 2 days ago.  When I go against other Indy fighters my planes fall out of the sky like they are paper.  TB and DB are killed just as easily. 

I have the B hull, F6F-3 fighters, 1/1/1 configuration, Air Groups Mod 1 & 2.  I have Dog Fighting Expert, Expert Rear Gunner, Demolition Expert, Air Supremacy.  I fly the November Echo Setteseven signal. 

What else can I do to keep my planes in the sky? 

 

yea, same here, best results achieved by attacking first, best done over friendly skies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

I am still trying to learn how to strafe.  Everyone says its simple so I must be doing something wrong.  Its a work in progress. 

Even without strafing ability I have learned to play defense, attack ships that are alone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
92 posts
1,880 battles

Yea, straffing is really hard to get the hang of it . Most of the time I mess it up, still working at it... however when you you do well it's awesome, shredded 2 torp squads and a fighter squadron tonight in a single straff! Man that made me smile. Still, tho it's rough to when going against someone who does this consistently well. I've had jap squads destroy my American planes before by a skilled pilot. Learn by doing, you'll get better with experience.  

Edited by SkeletonDenial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,583
[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
On 11/15/2017 at 0:40 PM, IcyThor said:

I am still trying to learn how to strafe.  Everyone says its simple so I must be doing something wrong.  Its a work in progress. 

Even without strafing ability I have learned to play defense, attack ships that are alone. 

 

 

Strafing is easy to do but there's quite a bit of finesse that separates the good CV players from the rest.  There's a lot of criss-crossing strafes, a strafe wall, baiting tactics, etc.  It's very easy to deal with a CV that has only 1 fighter unit, but when you have CVs with multiple fighter units, you have to be very careful about tricks.  Easy example, don't fall for the bait to only have some 2nd fighter unit strafe yours from the side or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×