You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ibrah_hero

AA as main guns?

5 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
86 posts
3,295 battles

i check the aa stats of my atlanta( bought a while ago) it says the main guns are aa weapons 5 km? how does that work? do i shoot the planes my my self or does it auto shoot?

[TF16B]
Members
8,023 posts
16,964 battles

Many ships (especially carriers,) have secondaries that also function in the AA role; you can get a Clear Sky and Close Quarters expert at the same time because of how the mechanic works.

The Japanese Akizuki 's main guns also function as AA, if I recall correctly; and they are not the only two; (mostly destroyers, but a few other ships as well.)

[JR]
[JR]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
390 posts
4,124 battles

The damage is modeled but not rendered if that makes sense.  Yes they act as AA guns you just cant see them aiming and firing, and yes they fire automatically.  Same with the 5 inch secondary guns on US battleships and cruisers.  They don't move when firing at aircraft only when auto firing at ships.  Same on some destroyers for example Fletcher, Benson and Gearing I know for sure all have dual purpose mounts.

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,715 battles
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:46 PM, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

The damage is modeled but not rendered if that makes sense.  Yes they act as AA guns you just cant see them aiming and firing, and yes they fire automatically.  Same with the 5 inch secondary guns on US battleships and cruisers.  They don't move when firing at aircraft only when auto firing at ships.  Same on some destroyers for example Fletcher, Benson and Gearing I know for sure all have dual purpose mounts.

Basically this.  AA and secondary fire essentially just comes "from" the ship, not the guns themselves.  Thus, while dual purpose main guns, like the Atlanta's, count for the calculation of the damage done to aircraft, the only turret animation you see is when you move them and fire at surface targets yourself.  If an aircraft comes in, the guns just "magically" also shoot at them.  They never turn towards the incoming aircraft even if you are not shooting at anything in particular yourself.  The fire just comes out from the ship, and the AA fire does not count against your main gun's surface reload times nor vice-versa.  The same is basically true of secondaries that are also AA guns.  They fire simultaneously at both surface and air targets with the fire coming from the ship itself rather than specifically from the gun.  Thus, as Inigo puts it, the damage is basically modeled rather than rendered.

Also, as has been said, AA and secondaries fire is automatic.  You can turn them (both) on and off using the P key, but as long as they are on, they will automatically target and shoot at any enemy within each gun's range and arc of fire.  Likewise, they will also simultaneously fire at both air and surface targets if they function both as secondaries and AA.  They act independently for the most part as well.  That is, guns on the port side will engage targets on the port side while guns on the starboard side will engage targets starboard, so your ship can be firing at multiple surface and multiple air targets all at once.  They will do this without any intervention automatically as long as they are turned on.

You can, however, specify one surface and one air target for your guns to focus on.  To do this, hold down control to free the mouse cursor and click on the target(s) you want your gunners to focus on.  One caveat to this is that you have to have the type of gun appropriate to the target.  For instance, the Arkansas Beta has no AA guns, so you can only select one surface target for its secondaries.  You cannot select an air target for the AB.

When you select a target, this tells the gunners that can shoot at the target to prioritize it.  Gunners that cannot do so will continue shooting at the target their selection algorithms determine until the selected target can be shot at.  Thus, if you select a target on the port side, the starboard gunners will continue engaging targets on their side until that target comes within their range and arc of fire.

There is one caveat to this.  There is a Captain's skill for manual control of secondaries.  When you have this skill, it greatly increases the accuracy of your secondaries, but at a cost.  With this skill, your secondary gunners will only shoot at a selected target.  Thus, if you have the skill and don't select a target, they will not fire.  Likewise, if they are on the wrong side of the ship from the selected target, they will not fire.

The AA side will continue to function normally, and the equivalent AA manual control skill does not do this.  It increases the AA effectiveness against a selected target without preventing auto engaging other targets when a target is not selected or in range/firing arc.

• Cool 1