Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Implications of a British heavy cruiser line

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,905 battles

Considering how the Japanese have parallel destroyer lines, I do not see why this shouldn't be possible. We would start at Tier 3 with the old  armoured cruisers with their 9.2/7.5 inch armament (with slow load rates or short ranges to compensate for the high calibre and large number of barrels) and finish at the 8 inch-gunned County class, with the Churchill-inspired paper designs (9.2" quad turrets in fast hulls, ditched in favour of Vanguard) for Tier Ten. That would enable us to have ships like the Exeter (imagine a rematch against Graf Spee, with one of these and two Perths).

The interesting thing would be the aircraft fit. Inter-war heavy cruiser designs packed multiple aircraft, designed for spotting, recon and TORPEDO BOMBING.

Imagine the fuss if THAT capability gets fitted to a heavy cruiser!!! Discuss the s**tstorm that would erupt. :p

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Beta Testers
96 posts
5,726 battles

Far rather see the battlecruisers implimented rather than a split in the already existing cruiser lineup.  Eventually I could see US/Brit/Jap/German (maybe even Italian) CL/CA splits.  But Brit carriers, and Brit and German battlecruisers are top of my "want list"

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles

It would be nice to see the British CA's in the game at some point.  Certainly ships like the Suffolk, Norfolk and Exeter eventually deserve a spot in WOWS.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,905 battles
On 13/09/2017 at 6:31 PM, VonLippe said:

Far rather see the battlecruisers implimented rather than a split in the already existing cruiser lineup.  Eventually I could see US/Brit/Jap/German (maybe even Italian) CL/CA splits.  But Brit carriers, and Brit and German battlecruisers are top of my "want list"

I suspect we will see British destroyers before battlecruisers or carriers. The Brits had the first flat-top ever, so I would like to see that one come in at Tier 2 - one squadron of catapult fighters and one or two of extremely snail-slow TB's, but at that tier, it would be enough. Considering that in 1918 the British were planning a Taranto-style raid on the High Seas Fleet in harbour, it's more than justified (they would have pulled it off, but the Armistice got in the way).

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,526 battles

The RN lost interest in heavy cruisers in the 30s ... big and expensive.

They needed the maximum number of hulls for their treaty tonnage, having a global empire. And the thinking at that stage was the higher rate of fire from 6in guns overmatched 8in.

Besides, the 1930 London treaty prohibited them from building more.

Churchill, however, was an old-fashioned "give me a bigger gun" thinker so he spurred several studies into new 8in ships during the war.

None got beyond the scribble stage.

So, with the inevitable paper interpretations, yes there is enough for a separate line.

One proposal that could be interesting is the 8-in version of the Belfast/Edinburgh. Kind of a similar development history to the KGV and what the game calls "Monarch".

Norman Friedman's newish British Cruisers details several of the war studies. I could add them here, if there is interest.

Members
287 posts
4,288 battles

I could definitely see an RN CA line with Hawkins at Tier V, Exeter at Tier VI, and Suffolk at Tier VII.  Above that would be late war paper designs (or just plain fantasy ships).  Below that I could see Challenger at Tier III to be comparable to the American St Louis, and maybe Monmouth at Tier IV.  Any of the other armoured cruisers would present the problem of mixed batteries.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,905 battles

There are enough paper designs (including Churchill's 3 x quad 9.2" monster, rejected in favour of Vanguard) to take us all the way to Tier 10, and God knows there are enough paper ships in the game already. So long as it got as far as the level of internal-arrangement studies, even without formal blueprints, I'm happy to live with it.

As for the mixed battery ships, I can live with that too. I can sort of live with 9.2 and 7.5 inch guns being fudged to have the same in-flight behaviour, so long as the performance at the other end is calibrated appropriately.

Members
3,628 posts
13,435 battles
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That would enable us to have ships like the Exeter (imagine a rematch against Graf Spee, with one of these and two Perths).

Ajax and Achilles, the 2 CLs that accompanied Exeter at the battle of the River Platte, were Leander class Cruisers. Perth, Hobart, and Sydney were modified Leanders.

Edited by ReddNekk

Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,230 posts
1,928 battles
On 9/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, HMS_Formidable said:

Norman Friedman's newish British Cruisers details several of the war studies. I could add them here, if there is interest.

Please. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,905 battles
2 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

Ajax and Achilles, the 2 CLs that accompanied Exeter at the battle of the River Platte, were Leander class Cruisers. Perth, Hobart, and Sydney were modified Leanders.

Oops. My bad.

[EQRN]
Members
300 posts
8,632 battles
On 11/29/2017 at 1:36 PM, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Suffolk at Tier VII.

Which means not much effort to deliver an HMAS Australia or Canberra :cap_like:

[BZERK]
Members
710 posts
3,072 battles

Well, being that a USN split is in the cards, I'm sure the question of a split cruiser line for the British (or any nation in the game, for that matter) is not a matter of if, but when and what. We'll just have to wait and see. 

That said, the CA branch would be:
T5: Hawkins.

T6: County-class.

T7: York-class.

T8: A County-class subclass.

T9-10: Whatever paper creation we get from WG.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,526 battles
On 02/12/2017 at 7:29 PM, mr3awsome said:

Please. 

I created a multi-post thread detailing the studies a while back

• Cool 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,461 posts
6,631 battles
On 02/12/2017 at 9:59 AM, mr3awsome said:

Please. 

only "please"? Dammit get on our knees and beg man!

Sign in to follow this