You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

DingBat's Threads o' Common Sense, The Warship Edition: Contested Caps

6 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

I used to do an informal series of articles on tactics and such for WoT when I was an enthusiastic player. I'm kind of an on again/off again WoWs player, but I was motivated to start a similar thread by a game I played yesterday. 

The match was standard mode. Both teams had split fairly evenly to each flank at the start of the match. I in a destroyer, defending on the right flank. Our left flank had pushed successfully to near the enemy base and on of our destroyers was actually capping. However, I had previously noted that there were a number of ships I couldn't make contact with on the right flank and I suspected that several had turned back to deal with the threat to their base. I immediately warned our team of the danger. 

Despite several warnings, our right flank group proceeded to pile into the enemy cap, while encouraging other to do the same. By that point it was clear that multiple enemy ships were in contact including multiple battleships. 

Ok, so now to the common sense part:

1. This is a generalization, but I believe it to be correct: poor players will rarely turn their ships around to deal with a threat their base. There are usually several excuses given for this, but it doesn't really matter. A poor player will generally find a reason not to return to base. What's the implication of this? Again, it's a generalization, but the players who DO return to base are likely to be better than average players. 

2. Unless you grossly outnumber the enemy in both ships and weight of fire, a contested cap is almost always doomed to failure. I've disrupted caps single handedly with a fast firing destroyer. Sensible players will simply rotate their fire between capping ships to reset each in turn, or just pound fire into all at once. Remember, you're probably fighting against their better players.

3. Pinning ships to any point on the map is generally a bad idea as you're tossing away any possible maneuvering advantage you might have and giving your enemy that same advantage.

4. Cap times for standard modes are so long that you're almost certainly going to sink any defenders before you cap out anyway, so why not just focus on that instead of capping?

5. If you are absolutely dead set on capping and you haven't been spotted yet, DO NOT FIRE. The defenders are desperately trying to find you, why would you do their job for them? This especially applies to destroyers. I can't count the number of times I've seen teammates start firing from a capping situation as soon as they spot a target. Dumb. 

No one is saying you shouldn't press a defended cap, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's going to be a rare occasion where that is the right call. 

Arguments?

• Cool 2

[TDD]
Members
882 posts
7,902 battles

hmm sounds like a battle I was in yesterday... a BB and myself in the DD capping  reds turned back we got three of them before the BB got sunk which left them with one half health BB and me. he was afraid to run into my torps so didn't enter the cap and I finished the cap.

I think it all depends on a lot of different things.

I think good players and even average players who are on their toes know when to hold em and know when to fold em and know when to walk away to paraphrase that old song. bad players are gonna screw up 9 out of 10 times anyways.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
17,012 battles
1 hour ago, DingBat said:

5. If you are absolutely dead set on capping and you haven't been spotted yet, DO NOT FIRE. The defenders are desperately trying to find you, why would you do their job for them? This especially applies to destroyers.

This, ^^^

Don't know how many times just slipping into the edge of a cap and skirting the border or just sitting has netted me a cap; despite the fact Reds are approaching spotting range. Smoke is an obvious torp magnet, and shooting at an easy target is begging some reprobate in a fast firing cruiser you can't see to shoot you up.

If a mob of Reds is coming but you know you'll be able to cap? DO IT; THEN run away. Force them to spend the time re-capping; maybe you'll even be able to farm some defense ribbons.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,340 battles

I've seen one contested cap actually work, and it took #(*?<! forever. Most of the enemy team was already dead, four of us got into the cap circle, and they attacked singly instead of in groups. The effort still sucked up almost five minutes of game time, and there was one enemy ship we hadn't yet sunk at the end.

It was almost predictable: keep circling, they shot at us, one guy got hit, everyone focus on that guy ... now he's dead, back to circling. Now, I think I would prefer to have one or two ships in the cap while the rest of us go foxhunting.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,047 battles

Fun thing I did a couple of caps ago, set smoke on one edge of the enemy base, left it and moved to the opposite edge. Watched three reds torpedo and blind fire the smoke in a panic, trying to reset the cap by shooting where I wasn't. Good times. 

• Cool 2