Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GE_Capital

Graf Zeppelin Testing Thread

27 comments in this topic

Members
637 posts
62 battles

Problem with GZ I is that she has still the main two problems of the original version - terrible fighters (yes slightly better due to captain skill) a d this idiotic drop delay.

So GZ I is still a terrible ship - just slightly buffed.

GZ II is more of a noob carrier - less rewarding/less skill but has its own flavour. 

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,708 posts
6,163 battles

After playing a lot of the GZ 1 and GZ 2 tonight - a few thoughts:

The fighters are totally inadequate.  There's no getting around it.  They have very low ammo, underwhelming DPS, and are too fragile.  Dogfightig Expert does not seem to alleviate this in any noticeable way.  I have come to appreciate their speed more.  Many more interception opportunities are possible than with the other T8 CVs.  But it's not enough of an advantage to offset their other issues.

Now, the redesigned dive bombers...where to begin?  Fragility, for one.  Like the fighters, they suffer from tissue-paper-plane syndrome.  Especially to AA, but even moreso to strafes.  I had several instances tonight where I would be dodging strafes, and get clipped and lose half (three per squad) of the bombers.  In a similar situation with three squads on the Shoukaku, Lexington, or Enterprise I may lose one or rarely two per squadron.  I will note that damage output between the two types was largely consistent (!) despite the superior pattern of GZ1.  GZ2's ability to not give a damn about the angle of attack meant it spent less time inside AA, and therefore more planes survived each attack, and went out to do further strikes despite landing fewer bombs per strike.  I ran out of bombers nearly every game, usually because lolpowercreepAA at tiers 8-10 (the only games it seems to see).  

This exacerbates the last issue: plane reserves.  For a CV with fragile planes, guaranteed to lose many against all but the weakest foes, its reserve plane capacity is seriously poor.  You will run out of planes, and which loadout (GZ1 or GZ2) merely influences how soon.  

On a brighter note, the secondaries are trolltastic.  They have the lowest dispersion in the game, achieving often up to a 75% (!) hit rate in a round, and around 40% on anything that's not a 47 knot Russian ship with Loony-Tunes acceleration and turning.  Some fast targets included Kiev (who didn't utilize cartoon physics), Gearing, Lo Yang, Shimakaze, and others.  Some such as an unfortunate Tirpitz, Lion, and Missouri fell victim to nearly 90% hit rates and many, many fires.  The 150mm guns are especially deadly, since they penetrate 32mm plating.

Sign in to follow this