Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GE_Capital

Graf Zeppelin Testing Thread

27 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles

So, GZ information here has been quite sparse, with nobody sharing the publicly available information.  I'll begin doing that here.  Please note that I'll only be sharing information that is public, in case they do ask us to keep something under wraps.

 

Goes without saying that this is a work in progress.....

 

First, here is the Facebook post describing the first set of loadouts that will enter testing tomorrow.  Emphasis mine.  There are two loadouts going into testing.  Underlined are the most interesting aspects of each.

 

Quote

 

Greetings, captains!

We are pleased to announce that the first phase of Graf Zeppelin testing starts on September 14.

All test participants will receive two aircraft carriers. Each of them will have AP bombs, differing by their settings of drop ellipse, bomb fall time and other settings. Please, find further information below.

As you might have known, originally AP bombs used to have the following characteristics:

Dispersion ellipse of the bombs was 54 х 270 meters;
The ellipse narrowed when ALT-attack was used – -50% to dispersion;
Under defensive fire dispersion increased on 40%;
The speed of bomb falling was 345 m/s;
The bomb fall time was 6.0 sec.

Now we present you two updated versions of bombers with AP bombs:

The first version:

Dispersion ellipse of the bombs has been narrowed to 54 х 210 meters;
When ALT-attack is used or under defensive fire ellipse changes stay the same;
The speed of bomb falling has been increased to 375 m/s;
The bomb fall time has been reduced to 3.8 sec.
Aircraft take-off time has been cut twice;
The tier of fighters has been reduced to 7 without changes in their battle performance.

In general, the first version is designed for players with a high skill in playing on aircraft carriers. Such performance 
characteristics of bombers will provide good accuracy, however, one must be alert – it is necessary to choose target lead accurately and to anticipate maneuver of the enemy ship.

Reducing squadron take-off time will provide a pleasant bonus of a few seconds for the air group in a mass takeoff. This will give a slight advantage at the beginning of the battle and will allow your fighters to be one of the first over the strategic points of the battlefield;

We have reduced bomb fall time and narrowed dispersion ellipse of the bombs. A delay of 3.8 seconds still gives the target ship a chance to lay an evasive maneuver down, but it will allow bombers hit maneuvering targets more efficiently and hit camping targets or targets that do not change their course;

Increasing the speed of bomb falling will increase the value of armor penetration and give more opportunities for consistent damage to armored ships;

Reducing the tier of fighters without changes in their battle performance will give a pleasant bonus when using the "Dogfighting Expert" skill.

The second version:

Drop ellipse has been changed, now it is a circle of 120 х 120 meters;

The circle narrows when ALT-attack is used – -20% to dispersion;
Under defensive fire dispersion increases on 100% when using auto-attack, and on 50% when using ALT-attack;
The speed of bomb falling has been increased to 375 m/s;
The bomb fall time has been reduced to 1.0 sec.

In this version, the fighters have no changes comparing to the original version.

The second version is designed for all players and does not require special skills in playing on aircraft carriers, although the performance of this version may be lower, it will allow the beginners to achieve more stable results. Bombs fall with a delay close to the standard, but the drop area will prevent from consistently hitting the target with all bombs, while the probability of hitting cruisers and other narrow targets has been significantly reduced.

The task for testers will be given a bit later. Please keep in mind that we will test other options as well, but for now, we would like you to concentrate on the two suggested loadouts.

Thanks for reading, and see you soon!

 

 

This is from the World of Warships: Graf Zeppelin Facebook page, from posts marked "public" (available to view by anyone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,269
[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I still don't know how to become a tester for sure. The original post said anyone who bought her and kept her, and that's me, so am I in? I was expecting an email or something... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
1 minute ago, TTK_Aegis said:

I still don't know how to become a tester for sure. The original post said anyone who bought her and kept her, and that's me, so am I in? I was expecting an email or something... 

You got a notification in port, and had to follow the link and hit "accept".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,327
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,487 posts
6,657 battles
22 minutes ago, _V12 said:

So, GZ information here has been quite sparse, with nobody sharing the publicly available information.  I'll begin doing that here.  Please note that I'll only be sharing information that is public, in case they do ask us to keep something under wraps.

 

Goes without saying that this is a work in progress.....

 

First, here is the Facebook post describing the first set of loadouts that will enter testing tomorrow.  Emphasis mine.  There are two loadouts going into testing.  Underlined are the most interesting aspects of each.

 

 

This is from the World of Warships: Graf Zeppelin Facebook page, from posts marked "public" (available to view by anyone).

You mean nobody is bothering to read existing threads which have already published this publically available information. 

Just in case as the Op did not see fit to post the public facebook page from which he copy pasted

https://www.facebook.com/wowsgraf/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
9 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

You mean nobody is bothering to read existing threads which have already published this publically available information. 

 

 

I did a forum search for "graf zeppelin" before making this thread, and it didn't come up, so....

Edited by _V12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,269
[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
15 minutes ago, _V12 said:

You got a notification in port, and had to follow the link and hit "accept".

Ah. I've been out of town... hopefully I still get one tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
4 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Try looking in the Aircaft Carrier subforum, there are about a hundred topics concerning GZ.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/150-aircraft-carriers/

 

I'll continue to maintain updates here, since many more people visit this forum, a large number of which are probably interested.  

 

Just now, TTK_Aegis said:

Ah. I've been out of town... hopefully I still get one tonight. 

 

You can appeal to the facebook page by commenting (post a screenshot of your port with GZ in it).  I saw someone get in late by doing that.  No guarantees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

I haven't gotten the two new GZ test ships, and I clicked accept. 

 

They come tomorrow, as the EU server will get their anniversary update then and they want to give all test GZs out at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,269
[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
1 minute ago, _V12 said:

You can appeal to the facebook page by commenting (post a screenshot of your port with GZ in it).  I saw someone get in late by doing that.  No guarantees.

That's a shame. I'll actually have to make a Facebook account. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[5D]
Members
605 posts
7,026 battles
Just now, _V12 said:

 

They come tomorrow, as the EU server will get their anniversary update then and they want to give all test GZs out at once.

Ah. My mistake. 

 

But looking at the testbed stats, it seems that the GZ with the 1 second arm is going to be the better option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
4 minutes ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

Ah. My mistake. 

 

But looking at the testbed stats, it seems that the GZ with the 1 second arm is going to be the better option. 

 

I disagree, actually.  I think the first option will allow for much more dynamic play, as the quick reload times, better fighters, and resistance to DF will show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[5D]
Members
605 posts
7,026 battles
35 minutes ago, _V12 said:

 

I disagree, actually.  I think the first option will allow for much more dynamic play, as the quick reload times, better fighters, and resistance to DF will show.

 

Though, how good are 3.8 seconds for carriers to make an effective strike?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralMudkip said:

 

Though, how good are 3.8 seconds for carriers to make an effective strike?

These things work exponentially.  The longer the time, it becomes increasingly easy to dodge.  Reducing the time from 6 to 3.8 seconds will increase the effectiveness at least threefold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles

Initial impressions.

 

First battle: T8-10.  Lots of AA.  Planes are just as fragile as I remember, and the fighters having Dogfighting Expert didn't help them much at all.  This opinion was verified throughout the battles I've played since as well.  The fighters just aren't useful still.  Now, the bombers.....very big difference.  As the stats say, the dispersion isn't affected by DF - however, it does still cancel the manual bonus, for better or worse (so at least you can tell when you're being affected by DF).  The autodrop/DF circle isn't exceptional.  You'll get enough hits on BBs but only a few max on cruisers and nothing on DDs.  The manual drop circle is very tight.  I'd compare it to two Kaga manual drop circles laid end-on-end.  The drop time takes some getting used to, but the buff from 6 second drop time to 3.8 seconds makes it much, much more viable.  Hitting BBs is all but guaranteed with a little bit of forethought.  Cruisers are still a challenge, but not impossible.

 

The second battle, I rushed a cap with a Kutuzov and Fletcher I was divisioned with, planning to perma-smoke inside the cap and abuse the secondaries.  This worked well enough until the Fletcher died, and so we ran out of smoke.  It was incredibly entertaining, though.  The GZ suffers from excess concealment range (14km with module/no CE, and ~11.8? with CE, but that forces you to drop AFT or manual secondaries), and piss-poor maneuverability, including a deceleration time equivalent to British cruisers.  I'd like to see a buff to either the secondary range or the concealment/maneuverability to make this an actually useful part of the GZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
400 posts
6,311 battles

Just had a tester charge forward near the center cap. He got killed quick and the other tester had a field day with over powered bombs. Some testers should test in co-op to try and fix a bad CV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
7 minutes ago, Buzzardsluck said:

Just had a tester charge forward near the center cap. He got killed quick and the other tester had a field day with over powered bombs. Some testers should test in co-op to try and fix a bad CV. 

In my latest game I had two successive waves of dive bombers get shredded by an AA Baltimore without defensive fire active.  They are made of paper.  Hardly overpowered when anything that looks at them shoots them down.  To add insult to injury, the reserves are entirely inadequate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
55 posts
5,807 battles
5 hours ago, _V12 said:

In my latest game I had two successive waves of dive bombers get shredded by an AA Baltimore without defensive fire active.  They are made of paper.  Hardly overpowered when anything that looks at them shoots them down.  To add insult to injury, the reserves are entirely inadequate.

Where you testing the 1st version? It seems they do not have their accuracy affected by dfaa, and thus, your bombers may be under its effects without showing any indication that they are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
3 minutes ago, deltatrooper653 said:

Where you testing the 1st version? It seems they do not have their accuracy affected by dfaa, and thus, your bombers may be under its effects without showing any indication that they are.

 

Yes, this is -mostly- true.  This was something I was very afraid of at first, actually.  However, it's a non issue, because: You can see if DF is being active, because it cancels out the dispersion bonus of manual drops.  AKA, if you hold ALT to designate a manual drop, and you see that the dispersion pattern is standard (aka the autodrop pattern), then you know that they are being affected by DF.  

Edited by _V12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
55 posts
5,807 battles
1 hour ago, _V12 said:

Yes, this is -mostly- true.  This was something I was very afraid of at first, actually.  However, it's a non issue, because: You can see if DF is being active, because it cancels out the dispersion bonus of manual drops.  AKA, if you hold ALT to designate a manual drop, and you see that the dispersion pattern is standard (aka the autodrop pattern), then you know that they are being affected by DF.  

Correct me if i'm wrong, but according to the FB post. It seems to say that for the 1st version, the bombing ellipse stays the same irregardless of the alt attack or under dfaa. If so, it would seem that one is essentially not getting any ui feedback that yr bombers are under dfaa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,583 posts
5,874 battles
10 minutes ago, deltatrooper653 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but according to the FB post. It seems to say that for the 1st version, the bombing ellipse stays the same irregardless of the alt attack or under dfaa. If so, it would seem that one is essentially not getting any ui feedback that yr bombers are under dfaa

Alt attack does narrow the drop pattern.  Under DFAA it no longer applies

Also, 'irregardless' is a nonsense word.  Double negative.  It does not mean the same thing as 'regardless'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
255
[PNG]
Alpha Tester
1,419 posts
11,024 battles

I can tell you one thing right now and I don't even own one... Variant II seems a lot more successful then variant I. I was in a Tirpiz  the planes came straight in to bomb me and I just kept going straight and all of them missed.... If that's how auto attack works then there is no hope for the Variant I version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
55 posts
5,807 battles
7 minutes ago, _V12 said:

Alt attack does narrow the drop pattern.  Under DFAA it no longer applies

Also, 'irregardless' is a nonsense word.  Double negative.  It does not mean the same thing as 'regardless'.

Ok, wording was a little vague on the FB post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×