Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
THE_TANKER_BACCA

Carrier Alert! Help!

6 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
1,313 battles

Just a friendly, competent player looking for some Tips & Tricks for Carriers.

By no means a noob at Carrier captaining, but I wouldn't say I'm the best in the world either...

Thanks in advance!

[-K-]
Members
5,308 posts
9,134 battles

A comprehensive guide from one of the best in the business.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,038 posts
8,290 battles

Start by posting replays, describe particular moments where you got your rear end handed to you, captain skills you're using, the CV you're driving, anything specific so we know what advice you need.

Taiho/Haku owner.

Members
566 posts
1,461 battles

Things to learn and remember as a beginner CV captain.

#1 - Learn to use and always check the mini-map, it is both your eyes and ears in the battlefield.

#2 - Positioning of your carrier - Never stay at the same spawning position and don't stay too far away from the opposing team as it increases the travelling time of your planes to reach the enemy and rearm.

#3 - Provide scouting where possible, having information is key to winning a battle. If not by you, at least by others.

#4 - Learn how to position the right angle of your torpedo bombers to ensure maximum hits, this requires anticipation of the targeted ship's expected movement.

When you move on to Tier 6,

#1 - Learn how to strafe with your fighters, this is the differentiation between a good and bad carrier captain.

#2 - Learn how to use the manual drops of your bombers, they are more accurate and deadly upon mastery. 

Edited by Fuyukaze

Members
5 posts
1,313 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Start by posting replays, describe particular moments where you got your rear end handed to you, captain skills you're using, the CV you're driving, anything specific so we know what advice you need.

Taiho/Haku owner.

I More so need tips on how to run USN Strike loads when there is a USN/IJN AS load/loads on the opposing team.

I already know that AS decks aren't as beneficial to your team and Strike which is why I chose to play strike. I have the ranger researched but not bought and the Hosho researched but not bought, I'm too focused on grinding credits for the future. 

My problem is that I seem to get 30-40k damage on average but then I run out of planes because...well...AS.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,038 posts
8,290 battles
1 hour ago, THE_TANKER_BACCA said:

I More so need tips on how to run USN Strike loads when there is a USN/IJN AS load/loads on the opposing team.

I already know that AS decks aren't as beneficial to your team and Strike which is why I chose to play strike. I have the ranger researched but not bought and the Hosho researched but not bought, I'm too focused on grinding credits for the future. 

My problem is that I seem to get 30-40k damage on average but then I run out of planes because...well...AS.

AS is a pain in the neck no matter what tier you play at. I counter them by using a single DB or TB (preferred by enemy fighters) as bait and lure them away from intended target, then pounce. If CV doesn't fall for it, then you simply wait for the chance to strike. I've had to do that a lot when in Hiryu and facing mostly T8-9 AA.

Generally the important thing is figure out what ships you're going to target. The tech tree allows you to see the stock hull AA ratings of every ship, and if you click the upgraded B/C hull, you can see how much the AA rating goes up. If you see it in-game higher than the latter, you know that ship has AA-boosting skills/modules added, so might want to leave it for later. This also helps see which ships are probably good targets to attack.

Especially note which ships to avoid. Cleveland, Atlanta, Texas, and Kutuzov are known for vicious AA, for instance,

30-40K average and you're on Independence? Doesn't seem a bad start, T6 CVs get uptiered lots and it's very painful. Ranger makes it more bearable since 72-plane hangar, but you'll see a lot of Saipans, a premium US CV that has T9 planes; its AS loadout is the worst to fight in strike Ranger.

It takes a lot of patience, and watching replays to see how you messed up. Half of my CV experience is from watching my replays to see what I did, and where I could have done better.

Also, work on your manual drop. The accuracy from it is a must to be effective since CV has the longest reload time out of all classes.

Sign in to follow this