You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lionheart1118

Help me pick a ship line/role please.

22 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
260 battles

So me and a couple friends are going to give the game a shot, we are coming from wot and I have played a few games but really don't know a whole lot. So what are the ship roles and nation differences? I like high dmg without sacrificing too much speed and able to support my friends no matter what the decide to pick. Your answers will also help me help my friends in deciding their choice as well so the more detailed your answers the better. Thanks for your time.

Edited by lionheart1118

Members
1,015 posts
12,910 battles

Well if you want to be vilified by both enemy and teammates alike go with CVs.

If you're an adrenaline junkie go with DDs.

BBs are steady income earners so it's easier to go up a line but they can be boring.

CAs are the weak nerdy kids on the playground. Every one kicks them around but they'll end up ruling the world.

Does that help? :cap_cool:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

High damage, speed, works with anything

• Russian Destroyers
  • Russian or French Cruisers

Or if you mean "high burst damage", go with German Battleships.

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
1 minute ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Go with 1 tree only say french and do not ever contaminate the port with others.

Go with the french great guns.

This^ The French Cruiser line is overall, pretty good. I've played them to tier 8 and with the exception of the Jurien (tier 2) they're all pretty good to excellent Cruisers.

Cruisers are fun to play. Very versatile ships but kinda squishy because of their huge citadels. You can fight damn near anything effectively with Cruisers.

Battleships are more of a slow paced gameplay. They're tough and dish out heavy damage but many are slower and not as maneuverable as Cruisers with a much slower rate of fire. Plus, you'll get targeted frequently by CVs.

The only thing that I can say about Destroyers is that I sucketh most heinously at playing them but well played DDs are awesome! It's definitely a challenge playing them.

I play BBs and CAs pretty evenly these days though I used to be a Cruiser main.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,858 battles
48 minutes ago, lionheart1118 said:

I like high dmg without sacrificing too much speed and able to support my friends no matter what the decide to pick

I would suggest cruisers then, with the admonition that they are they most difficult type of ship to learn and master right now.

If you want high damage and the ability to tank damage I would suggest German Battleships, which are easy to learn.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
51 minutes ago, lionheart1118 said:

So me and a couple friends are going to give the game a shot, we are coming from wot and I have played a few games but really don't know a whole lot. So what are the ship roles and nation differences? I like high dmg without sacrificing too much speed and able to support my friends no matter what the decide to pick. Your answers will also help me help my friends in deciding their choice as well so the more detailed your answers the better. Thanks for your time.

German cruisers.  They tend not to get deleted quite as easily as french cruisers.  US cruisers kinda suck, with a few exceptions.  Japanese cruisers are decent too.

Destroyers are tough to play and won't be much fun when you're just starting out.

Carriers are hard to master but could provide great support to your friends once you get the trick of it.

Battleships are fun, but slow and you really have to think ahead on where you want to be 5 minutes from now.  You can wind up being completely out of position very easily.  You can hang back and snipe with them, but that's not very much fun.  You can get in close, but that takes a lot of experience to not just get deleted.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,961 posts
8,109 battles
43 minutes ago, lionheart1118 said:

High damage suggests a battleship line:

• IJN has good sniping traits T5-9 and good top speed to keep up with team, countered by their weak AA and tendency of MB to aim everywhere but the target. Fuso, Nagato, Amagi, and Yamato are arguably the best in this line. 
  • US BBs have 21 knots top until T8 NC, but their armor angles very well and beginning with the T6 New Mexico, their AA is good. Can go concealment/AA build to punish CVs, and their accuracy is good. T6-10 have some powerful BBs.
  • KMS BBs are built to brawl, and come with near-immunity to citadels (massive damage), and beginning with T7 can go secondary build that does nasty damage. Their AA is powerful if specced for it. However, they are more prone to eating pens than other BB lines and MB accuracy is not good.
  • UK BBs have very effective HE. Recent line, but can say their HE volleys basically guarantee a fire every salvo and their AP has better pen traits, meaning they tend to do consistently good damage, and T9-10 in this line get a very powerful heal as well as strong AA and amazing concealment.

WOWS wikia site has many player-submitted reviews on the ships for every available line.

It sounds you could go IJN or KMS cruiser line. IJN line is famous for their hard-hitting torps and high fire chance, though their AA is meh at best. KMS cruisers HE is the best in-game since more likely to pen armor, and beginning with the T8 Admiral Hipper, the AP gets very devastating against anything broadside, even a battleship at max range.

I'm not sure CVs should be the first line you seriously go up, but if want to, IJN CV line. The US line is severely limited in effective loadouts, but the IJN loadouts are more verastile and effective.

• Cool 2

[RIPQP]
Members
3,708 posts
14,547 battles
52 minutes ago, lionheart1118 said:

So me and a couple friends

Go freedom division. Bring democracy to the enemy and snatch their oil. USN destroyer, USN cruiser, USN battleship. Smoke your cruiser, easy caps, DPM, alpha strike. 

• Cool 1

360 posts
194 battles

Seconding the US Cruisers for AA defense, however German Cruisers are a little more durable. Regardless of which nation's Cruisers you decide on, your first Captain Skill needs to be Priority Target. It allows you to see how many enemy ships are currently targeting you and is essential to increasing your survivability.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
On 9/13/2017 at 11:01 AM, lionheart1118 said:

I'm with you, lionheart.   So much seems similar but different, eg - Lights vs Destroyers; Mediums vs Cruisers; Heavies vs. Battleships; then the whole Carrier thing.  

Also curious about built in OP's for entire Nations, lines, or ship classes.

Edited by OldFrog75

[H_]
Members
217 posts
6,990 battles

My suggestion,  You tube - search for WOW stuff and just watch a bunch of the video's before deciding. Look at WIKI for the ship particulars.

I've played DD's , Cruisers and BB's.  All have a certain appeal but until you start playing regularly it's hard to say "do cruisers" you may hate playing them and find DD or BB's much more fun.

With your criteria though I'd say Cruisers are where you should start.  Personally I have some from every nation and until you get to the higher tiers 6 and above AA defense is not nearly as much of a problem. 

I've had a lot of fun actually with all the lines, not sure I have a favorite. I'm up to T7 in most of the lines.

I will say, having a cruiser that has Torpedo's is a bonus :) 

Play them all, figure out what you like the best and roll on from there. But most of all Have fun with the game and your friends.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,562 battles
On 9/14/2017 at 6:21 AM, lionheart1118 said:

Alright so I think I want to go with a cruiser, something with good aa, and able to take out destroyers fairly well. Whay nation has the best cruisers for that?

USN and RN cruisers are good at taking out tin cans. 

I prefer the Radar, so USN CA's. They will also teach you good habits for general gameplay. 

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,131 battles

If I had to choose one line and only one line, I'd choose USN DDs.  They are so versatile, fun, and have a great mix of torpedos, guns, manuverability, and low surface detection (except tiers VI and VII).  Some of my favorite ships in the game are in this line (Clemson, Nicholas, Benson, Fletcher, Gearing) 

If I had to choose one cruiser line, I'd probably go with RU CAs.  They are pretty squishy, but pack a punch.  They also get great fire chance generally, have lots of guns, and get radar at tier VIII.  They are fast, but generally don't turn very well.  They excel as long range BB fire spammers and DD hunters.  Their AP also packs a punch against CAs.  The premium tiers VI (Molotov) and VIII (Kutuzov) are also fun to play.  My highlight ships here are Kirov, Budyonny, Molotov, Kutuzov, Chapayev, and Donskoi.  I'm not to tier X yet, but Moskva is a beast.

If I had to choose one BB line, I'd choose German BBs.  Tanky with great secondaries.  They really get good at tier VI+, with tier VII+ benefitting hugely from long range manual secondaries.  Some of my favorite ships in the game are here too (Bayern, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz/Bismarck).  I have tried to like the tier IX and X ships, but find them too slow and clumsy for my play style.

I hate CV play, so just no.

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles
On 9/13/2017 at 1:52 PM, TheDreadnought said:

US cruisers kinda suck, with a few exceptions.  Japanese cruisers are decent too.

Thus far, I've only liked the St. Louis and Cleveland in the US cruiser line, though I really like the Cleveland. My ARP Takao (an Atago clone that I got from a contest last year) is heads above the tier VIII New Orleans in all aspects except for the New Orleans' brief radar. I hear the tier X Des Moines is pretty good but you have to play with a premium account and camo to make high-tier ships pay for themselves. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
42 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Thus far, I've only liked the St. Louis and Cleveland in the US cruiser line, though I really like the Cleveland. My ARP Takao (an Atago clone that I got from a contest last year) is heads above the tier VIII New Orleans in all aspects except for the New Orleans' brief radar. I hear the tier X Des Moines is pretty good but you have to play with a premium account and camo to make high-tier ships pay for themselves. 

I actually liked Baltimore, but didn't like Des Moines.

[RS]
Members
371 posts
13,030 battles

A very very long conversation..........

My advice, Play what appears to be fun. If it remains fun that's your line. If it is not fun promptly abandon ship and pick a different on.

When I started I wanted to be a DD god slinging torps and sinking big ships. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I suck in DD and my stats have never recovered. The day I abandoned them was the day I admitted I was having more fun in a BB. I'm still far from godly but at least I'm having fun.

Oh and I enjoy helping people start up. If you see me online feel free to send an invite. Playing with me can at least show you what NOT to do.....LOL