ProteinBar69

So the Des Moines main guns are dual purpose

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

48 posts in this topic

As if Des Moines needs any further buff to her AA....

2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

well it doesn't make any difference so why not

2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

More is always better :cap_rambo:

If we want to go further, the 16" guns also got VT fuses...

This is mostly for use during shore bombardments to achieve air-burst effects though, AA use would be limited. Though I expect an 8" airburst would have an extremely large danger zone when it explodes near an aircraft.

Iirc DM lost her title of AA Devil to Minotaur . So buff DM to, you know, her old rank of AA platform #1.

13 minutes ago, KmsH44 said:

Iirc DM lost her title of AA Devil to Minotaur . So buff DM to, you know, her old rank of AA platform #1.

That's base AA. Once the DM pops DF, she's number one.

Still, 8" DP guns would be awesome. I mean, it wouldn't matter since no sane CV sends planes within 7.5km of the DM anyway.

I really want the 76mm guns to act as secondaries as well.

It will be impressive to watch all those 76mm guns with 50rpm hacking away at ships.

12 minutes ago, KmsH44 said:

Personally i think most the tier 10 cruisers are/can be AA beasts.  the mino and moskva get something like 8km+ in range, which is pretty massive.   the mino has the ability to stealth fire its AA for a decent amount of time, not to mention the smoke it may be in.  You wont really even know your planes are in range until you get a message, or watch them be shreaded.(they really need to get the dual purpose guns to show they are firing at aircraft, rather than random kills from them)  The DM AA is really strong, but i don't think it is the clear winner like it use to be.  Still, with DF, you can wipe out entire waves really quick.

was there a reason, if the guns were dual purpose, for them not have that ability in game?  would that make them just too op?

3 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I really want the 76mm guns to act as secondaries as well.

It will be impressive to watch all those 76mm guns with 50rpm hacking away at ships.

the penetration would be only 12mm, can't pen anything

Edited by ProteinBar69

It always amazes me that in times of war, the amount of technology that is developed, money and resources spent too for that matter, a person walking in the moon 65 years later of the first of wright bros. flight, then again thousands upon thousands people die each year by diseases such as cancer, scary feeling when you know you are susceptible to get cancer any given day of your life and yet little is being made when compared in the amount of money being used in other manners.

Whilst they where capable of being used in the AAA role their maximum elevation would have seriously restricted their usefulness.

13 minutes ago, ProteinBar69 said:

but at 50RPM think of the fires you can set

The 8/55 was useless at close range but was would have been devastating both physically and psychologically at very long range against aircraft.

I'm almost positive this story is exaggerated and should be taken with some doubt but it gives an example of her capabilities.

http://www.uss-newport-news.com/mail/archive01.htm

Date:Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:03:48 EST Subject:Newport News Chronicles - Part Two--The News Letter The Newport News commissioning has been completed and all hands knew where to eat, sleep, and the location of the liberty gangway. There was a two week period for local OPS prior to departing for GITMO for the ships initial shake down. The first week was spent on general drills (many) and establishing the speed runs to validate ships speed versus turns of the screw. Since the NN was new and had a very clean bottom, a speed in excess of 34 knots was achieved during these runs. The second week of local OPS consisted of more drills and special gunnery exercises. The NN was unique as the main battery (8") was fully automated with various projectiles and cased (not bag) powder. At the push of a button the main batteries could load and be prepared to a fire full broadside in less than 13 seconds. Utility Squadron 8 provided drone aircraft for our first big shoot. The drone is placed some 40 miles from the ship the vectored in. For normal firing runs, the control aircraft, some 5 miles off center of the drone, keeps the drone at 10-12 thousand feet until 18 miles from the firing ship. At this point the drones speed is maximized noses over and commences evasive maneuvers. Ships usually are able to commence firing at about 10 miles. The control aircraft got the surprise of his life for the NN provide deviating anti-aircraft fire with the main battery at the 20 mile mark. Turret 3 brought the drone down with a total of 9 rounds at a range greater than 18l.5 miles. The five inchers missed out on this shoot. The control aircraft informed the ship that it was their first experience with a ship that was able to provide such accurate and rapid fire salvos at those ranges. The term passed on from the control aircraft to its counterparts when you service the Newport News in gunnery exercises be aware of her ability to provide rapid fire salvos very accurately at extreme ranges (20 Miles). With this reputation the Newport News Newsletter acquired the name of RAPID FIRE. That's how it was for the Newport News first two weeks at sea. Please add your own reflections to this chronicle. I know that all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I will see you all at the NN reunion to provide you with more on the first two weeks at sea.

I don't think Des Moines ever got them but Salem had 8" cams for the Mark 1A fire control for aircraft engagement, Des Moines only had 5/38 ballistic cams which required spotting corrections and didn't work very well.

Supposedly in the 60s or 70s a crewmember talks about engaging drones using the 8/55s in a US Naval institute magazine and they are all available online but it requires a paid membership to view the archives.

1 hour ago, KmsH44 said:

Here's the thing. The auto loaders would have to go. You can't elevate those guns very high. Only to a 41 degree elevation. That's not enough elevation. The 5/38s on Atlanta for example elevate to 85 degrees and the 6 inch DP gun could elevate to 78 degrees. I doubt with the 8 inch DP you could get the guns elevated high enough.

10 minutes ago, MJPIA said:

The 8/55 was useless at close range but was would have been devastating both physically and psychologically at very long range against aircraft.

I'm almost positive this story is exaggerated and should be taken with some doubt but it gives an example of her capabilities.

http://www.uss-newport-news.com/mail/archive01.htm

I don't think Des Moines ever got them but Salem had 8" cams for the Mark 1A fire control for aircraft engagement, Des Moines only had 5/38 ballistic cams which required spotting corrections and didn't work very well.

Supposedly in the 60s or 70s a crewmember talks about engaging drones using the 8/55s in a US Naval institute magazine and they are all available online but it requires a paid membership to view the archives.

Unfortunately at that range against a real aircraft being flown properly by a real pilot no hits would have occurred.

It's the same reason cruisers can dodge BB fire in game. The flight time of the shell is long enough for random evasive maneuvers to carry the plane out of the kill zone. There probably is a limited range band where the guns can get a flight time low enough to get hits and where the plane wouldn't require greater elevation than the guns could manage, but i likely wouldn't be an especially big engagement window.

54 minutes ago, ProteinBar69 said:

1/4 HE pen maybe. Besides then you could turn the Minotaurs 76mm un in secondary mode. 960rpm per side FTW.

54 minutes ago, Pata1985 said:

then again thousands upon thousands people die each year by diseases such as cancer, scary feeling when you know you are susceptible to get cancer any given day of your life and yet little is being made when compared in the amount of money being used in other manners.

Given the current earth population growth (which includes all deaths due to disease, illness, famine and war), we could (can?) populate 100,000 earth type planets (should we find any and can get there) over the next 2 billion years to the same level the earth is populated today.  Despite our propensity to kill each other, on a galactic scale measured in billions of years, we are a budding virus poised to take over the universe.

Well, assuming we actually spend the money and effort to actually get somewhere else.

7 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Given the current earth population growth (which includes all deaths due to disease, illness, famine and war), we could (can?) populate 100,000 earth type planets (should we find any and can get there) over the next 2 billion years to the same level the earth is populated today.  Despite our propensity to kill each other, on a galactic scale measured in billions of years, we are a budding virus poised to take over the universe.

Well, assuming we actually spend the money and effort to actually get somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure we will kill ourselves first before actually colonize another planet successfully.

1 hour ago, Pata1985 said:

It always amazes me that in times of war, the amount of technology that is developed, money and resources spent too for that matter, a person walking in the moon 65 years later of the first of wright bros. flight, then again thousands upon thousands people die each year by diseases such as cancer, scary feeling when you know you are susceptible to get cancer any given day of your life and yet little is being made when compared in the amount of money being used in other manners.

This is known as a "catagory error".

"...the error of assigning to something a quality or action that can properly be assigned to things only of another category, for example, treating abstract concepts as though they had a physical location..."

Saying "we can go to the moon, so why can't we cure cancer" is comparing two completely unrelated problems as if they were similar. It's as inane and incoherent as saying, "If a pilot can fly a 747 on instruments, then why can't they swordfight while blindfolded?"

2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

This is known as a "catagory error".

"...the error of assigning to something a quality or action that can properly be assigned to things only of another category, for example, treating abstract concepts as though they had a physical location..."

Saying "we can go to the moon, so why can't we cure cancer" is comparing two completely unrelated problems as if they were similar. It's as inane and incoherent as saying, "If a pilot can fly a 747 on instruments, then why can't they swordfight while blindfolded?"

I was referring as in the amount of resources destined to each cause.  One for the destruction of others vs a common health problem we as a living form of this planet encounter.

1 hour ago, Herodotus4 said:

So 10 km AA bubble of doom?

Sign me up! But then MM would never put you in a match that has CVs. :Smile_sad: