You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Battleship Main Finally Learns to Cruiser

42 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts

I'm a battleship main, and love brawling battleships.  I pretty much abandoned the IJN line because those battleships don't brawl very well.  I'm very aggressive in my play (probably too aggressive), so I have a fairly low survival rate.  Naturally German battleships were a god-send for me.  If I had to pick only one, it would have to be the Scharnhorst.  It's exactly what I want and need from a battleship.

My low survival didn't bother me much because I still managed to eek out a 54%/55% overall win rate.  Many of my best ships were in the high 60s or 70s.  Life was good.

But I decided I wanted to change things up a little and started playing cruisers instead.  Needless to say my aggressive approach didn't work out well and my overall win rate started dropping.  My win rate on individual cruisers was in the 40s or lower!  But I was having fun, so I persevered.  I knew for a fact I was NOT going to be one of these island camping morons, and if that meant my win rate never climbed very high, so be it.  At least I was having fun.

Last night I finally, I think, unlocked the secret.  By toning down my aggressiveness just a little I could still swing the balance of the game, but also not get obliterated.  I went from lots and lots of losses, to 7 straight wins with huge damage numbers every game.  Plus I would still get the opportunity to brawl later in the game.  Best of all, I would encounter island camping morons and sweep them from my seas with impunity.  It was awesome.  Island campers and backwards sailing idiots, beware. . . I always target you first, and try to get my team to also.

Anyway, thank you for joining me on my journey of self-discovery.    I'll see you out there!

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

Cruisers require a lot more finesse than brute force. Though it's still hard to overcome my natural aggressive playstyle.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
31 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Cruisers require a lot more finesse than brute force.

I agree; in the current meta cruisers have to be the most difficult type of ship to really excel in, radar, hydro and the rest thrown in.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles

BB's are still fun for the big damage salvos but I've been transitioning to cruisers myself.  They are far more challenging to do well in but have the potential to carry the game when it counts.  Mobility plus high dpm.

Members
4,745 posts
5,464 battles

Yeah, many in game and on here are quick to call cruisers cowards or campy/passive while not understanding why they play that way.

Controlled aggression is pretty much the name of the game for cruisers, as it will allow you to remain alive longer in the match while still contributing and being relevant to the team.

• Cool 1

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

Cruisers require a lot more finesse than brute force. Though it's still hard to overcome my natural aggressive playstyle.

same.  doesn't really matter what cruiser i am in, i want to brawl BBs for some reason...

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,951 posts
1,487 battles
58 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I agree; in the current meta cruisers have to be the most difficult type of ship to really excel in, radar, hydro and the rest thrown in.

Aye. They've got the fewest tools to keep themselves alive and thus they require a LOT of know how to play well.

@OP: The thing to understand is that in a cruiser you survive by not getting hit vs BB's. If there's a BB in a position to shoot you, assume they will do so. You need to thus keep the range open vs them enough you can dodge. Now vs other cruisers, if your in an 8" cruiser get stuck in by all means. Just remember trying that vs a BB rarely works out as a net positive. I fear the cruiser sitting at 14km duking with WASD hacks that i can't hope to kill quickly far more than the cruiser charging me to try and torp me. The latter guy if the dispersion trolls me may beat me, but he may not. The former unless he screws up will beat me, if i know what i'm doing i can hurt him in the process, but i'd need an inordinate amount of luck or him to make a serious mistake to kill him.

[SWOB]
Members
2,705 posts
15,550 battles
2 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I knew for a fact I was NOT going to be one of these island camping morons

So anyone who uses islands for cover are morons?

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Members
2,560 posts
4,924 battles
1 hour ago, IronWolfV said:

This is why my winrate is 48% in them. I find listening to certain songs help me slow down and focus. However, my average 25k damage in cruisers means I know what I should shoot.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
37 minutes ago, Frederick_The_Great said:

same.  doesn't really matter what cruiser i am in, i want to brawl BBs for some reason...

Well it's not just that. I want to be up in a position to support the DDs trying to take cap and eliminate enemy DDs. But at higher tiers that ends up getting you a bad case of dead in a hurry.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
3 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

I knew for a fact I was NOT going to be one of these island camping morons.

Your view will change on that. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,357 posts

I had tried cruisers early on and sucked hard at them due to the aforementioned overly aggressive nature. So I did some destroyer and a lot of battleship play. Now I'm doing cruisers again and find myself MUCH better at them. I love Des Moines and Hindenburg (especially the latter, oh my god love that ship). In fact, while I prefer BBs in mid tiers, at tiers 9 and 10, I much prefer playing cruisers due to the fact that BBs become A LOT more sluggish at high tiers, whereas cruisers all get a heal at those tiers.

My advise for cruisers? Stay at long range and support with HE early on. Hug your BBs if there's CVs in the match to cover them with AA if you have Defensive Fire. Either way, weave and dodge like mad and DO NOT STAY STILL. The goal is to take out any enemy BBs on your flank. Plus any DDs that get spotted. Once they are dealt with, and all the other enemy BBs have been spotted and are busy elsewhere, push and push hard with your cruiser to claim the cap and sweep it clear of DDs and other cruisers. Afterwards, keep pushing until you can flank the enemy BBs and cruisers so they have to deal with firepower on both sides and sending them into a panic when they realize they can't turn their guns fast enough to deal with both sides.

Doing the above, I find I tend to win more than not unless my whole team potatoes hard on my flank.

tl;dr: stay at long range and lob HE in early game. Push hard and flank later. Focus DDs that show themselves always.

EDIT: Exception to not staying still - If you're playing a cruiser with slow shells, you can get in closer and stay behind an island to lob shells over it. Just be aware that if you get spotted, a good player can and will shoot at you back over said island.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles
23 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

Well it's not just that. I want to be up in a position to support the DDs trying to take cap and eliminate enemy DDs. But at higher tiers that ends up getting you a bad case of dead in a hurry.

yep.  i know that feeling.  I just had a team where our gearing went guns blazing long before he got in the cap, then ate torps.  had 3 BBs behind me all turn and run behind our spawn the moment they got into a fight  leaving me alone in the cap.   meanwhile, the other half of my team is still in spawn on the other side of the map.   was a bad match for me.  i should of played it safe.  should of just went to another cap after i saw how the gearing was acting. 

[OPEC]
Members
926 posts
5,108 battles

Just learning when to keep shooting (distracted enemies) and when to break off and go dark for a short period (Priority Target 2+) has made my cruiser play a lot more rewarding and valuable to my team!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
1 hour ago, sbcptnitro said:

If you spend the vast majority of the game sitting behind one island, slowly sailing back and forth or not moving, then yes.  You're a moron, and you may be farming damage, but you're adding little to no value to the team.

Using islands for cover intermittently, as needed, is a valid tactic.  But just finding a camping spot to pretend to be a land-based turret is moronic.  A cruiser's big advantage over a BB is mobility.  If you don't take advantage of it and play to the scenario objectives, you're an idiot.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
47 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Your view will change on that. :Smile_Default:

No.  It really won't.  In addition to being moronic play that doesn't help the team (as explained above), its boring.

Beta Testers
1,175 posts
5,973 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

No.  It really won't.  In addition to being moronic play that doesn't help the team (as explained above), its boring.

No, it really will if you want to play cruisers at higher tiers. If you refuse to do it, seriously don't even bother with USN cruisers. 

Not even joking here, there's a reason people do it. 

I don't think you truly understand the fragility of cruisers. Until later in the game when ships get thinned out a bit, you have to conserve your HP.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
11 minutes ago, SeraphicRadiance said:

No, it really will if you want to play cruisers at higher tiers. If you refuse to do it, seriously don't even bother with USN cruisers. 

Not even joking here, there's a reason people do it. 

I don't think you truly understand the fragility of cruisers. Until later in the game when ships get thinned out a bit, you have to conserve your HP.

My seven game win streak was on Roon (Tier 9).  Only one more tier after that.  I know all about the fragility of high tier cruisers.  The island campers were easy meat for me because they made nice stationary targets when I flanked them.  Meanwhile they could hardly land an effective hit because of my WASD hacks.

Members
722 posts
5,170 battles
2 hours ago, sbcptnitro said:

Nah Nitro

l think he's referring to cowering behind islands not the go behind island and spam the living expletive out of anything in range cruisers:Smile_playing: Ha ha.

[SYN]
30,523 posts
4,430 battles
12 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

My seven game win streak was on Roon (Tier 9).  Only one more tier after that.  I know all about the fragility of high tier cruisers.  The island campers were easy meat for me because they made nice stationary targets when I flanked them.  Meanwhile they could hardly land an effective hit because of my WASD hacks.

Roon is one of the best tier 9 cruisers. Plus when she runs away most of her firepower is on the tail so it makes kiting easier.

Try that with a Baltimore and tell me how ya do.