You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
monitor_2016

FREE THE ROON !!!

11 comments in this topic

[ENDO]
Members
3 posts
8,474 battles

Wargaming, please allow the Roon to better compete with other teir 9 cruisers.    I believe you can do that by creating a new hull upgrade that switches thwe 150 mm dual turret with an aft 203 mm triple turret and having 6 rifles up front.

If you want more aggressive play,  the Roon can do it if you give her the tools.  She needs more firepower forward to be aggressive.

All who agree please comment, .and let Wargaming know your thoughts.  I for one believe the Roon will not be overpowered by doing so and will give her a much needed boost .

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,405 battles

I actually think the Roon is one of the most powerful Tier IX Cruisers. 

One of the features that make the German Cruiser line unique and interesting to play is that there are 2 turret layout configurations as you go up the line.  These are the AB-XY layout (Yorck, Hipper, Hindenburg) and the A-XY layout (Konigsberg, Nurnberg,Roon).   The A-XY gun layout may seem disadvantageous, but it only requires a different playstyle which is more of a kiting and maneuvering style so you can use the rear mounted firepower.

If you can develop this playstyle skill, you'll find the Roon is a beast!

Edited by hangglide42

[SYN]
Members
14,346 posts
10,218 battles

If you are losing to other T9 cruisers in Roon, you are doing it way wrong.

At T9, the weakest cruisers are Ibuki, Donskoi and Baltimore.

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles

Roon is fine as is and plenty capable.  If you feel she needs buffs, you're not playing her well enough to exploit her strengths.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
11,317 battles

I personally struggle with the Roon, I just haven't figured her out.  But I accept that is my failing, not the ships. She seems perfectly capable in the right hands. 

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

IMO, Roon is perfectly fine.  Great, even.

Before I post this result, I will admit one game does not make a ship.  However, this is one of my first few games in Roon, so she was completely stock.  I can't wait to see how she improves with upgrades:

XY0l8L0.jpg

Some ships have a style you have to learn and adopt to be successful with them.  Roon has heavier firepower when kiting away, but she also has fantastic AP and darned good armor.  I don't think she needs any help.

[ENDO]
Members
3 posts
8,474 battles

interesting replies, I guess my point is more of my preference for the 2 forward turrets.  I like the Roon but would prefer her with the forward turrets, I find when I see other players in battle they are usually sailing around the perimeter of the battle, and not challenging for the caps.  But to each, their own as they say. And kiting implies you are going the wrong way too and not being aggressively gaining real estate ( or the water over it).

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I personally struggle with the Roon, I just haven't figured her out.  But I accept that is my failing, not the ships. She seems perfectly capable in the right hands. 

The Roon isn't that hard to figure out.  Start by remembering how you played the Konigsberg and Nurnberg, two other German cruisers that had the same turret layout.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,257 battles
1 hour ago, monitor_2016 said:

interesting replies, I guess my point is more of my preference for the 2 forward turrets.  I like the Roon but would prefer her with the forward turrets, I find when I see other players in battle they are usually sailing around the perimeter of the battle, and not challenging for the caps.  But to each, their own as they say. And kiting implies you are going the wrong way too and not being aggressively gaining real estate ( or the water over it).

I would prefer a 3 turret ship have 2 turrets in front as well.  But that's not the Roon.  3 turret ships with 2 of the 3 turrets in the rear, are not designed for aggressive play.  They're designed to hold the range open, using their rear turrets as their primary guns, while the foremost turret is only used when you open up your broadside enough to get it on target as well.

Honestly, if they added a 4th turret to the Roon up front, you'd end up with a ship that mirrored the tier 10 Hindenberg.  And you'd end up with a tier 9 cruiser that would likely be OP.  About the only way they could put a second turret up front and keep the ship balanced, would be to remove one of the rear turrets.

[ENDO]
Members
3 posts
8,474 battles

Exactly my point, I advocate an additional hull that swaps the 150 and 203 turrets, allowing more aggressive play style,(still with three 203 turrets).  Wargamming wants more aggressive play style so this OPTION is also addressing their desire.  The fact that you have to expose the broadside to get more guns on target forces the long range meta.   I did not indicate I wanted 4 turrets , just two 203 turrets up fronts (with one 203 mm and one 150 turret aft) as an option for people that want to play aggressive. and want to play german cruiser at tier 9

With the extra hull as an option people can choose what style of play they wanted which is now limited for the tier 9 german cruiser.

FREE THE ROON!!!