Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HellaCopterRescue

Can we finally celebrate that an official clan leaderboard will be coming?

33 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles

Ever since the introduction of clan and Supremacy League coming in to the fold to fill the competitive need there has been a huge debate and controversy about the ranking of clans. Since we are humans we like to always measure our achievements and compare it to others and be competitive and that is why MapleSyrup and WoWs Stats and Numbers both have clan rankings. On the other hand we have Supremacy League (Season 5 is starting soon!) as the current competitive venue and each season has three winners (Gold, Silver and Bronze). 

So this is the current predicament; do we use MapleSyrup and WoWs Stats or do we use Supremacy League winners and runner ups to try and gauge clans? That is what happens when there is no official leaderboard.

MapleSyrup WoWs Stats and Numbers Supremacy League
Favors number of battles and win rate Favors damage and win rate Favors tactically competent teams/clans and teamwork
Updates daily* Updates every 30 min* Seasonal
Harder to influence ranking by recruiting trophy accounts or rerolls Easier to influence ranking with trophy account and rerolls since 500 battles is the minimum for Account battles and win rate are irrelevant since this is teamwork and clan oriented.
Top 100 (as long as a clan member doesn't hide stats) Top ~300 (as long as a clan member doesn't hide stats) a niche since its voluntary and does not account for majority of clans
Top clans are: SALTY, RNF, MLGB Top clans are: SALTY, ZR, OPG Seasonal top clans/teams, some of past winners are: Team Special Forces, ZR, APOC, KNTAI

AKQvOqM.png

VFOPlR9.pngkSFWRWW.png

**Assuming 500 total clans on NA server

None of these are perfect and that is why I am happy that with clan war/strongholds coming there will be an official leader board and not have to wonder if there is trophy accounts littered in clans.

Currently what do prefer to use? Where is your clan at in these ranking? If you are in a clan have you considered playing Supremacy League? If you are not in clan what do you use to evaluate the clans you are looking in to?

p.s. was super tired writing this so I apologize in advance for grammatical/spelling errors

p.s.s If you haven't, donate some $ to the Season 5 Supremacy League Prize Pool to incentive and reward competitive teams/clans that participate in it.

Edited by HellaCopterRescue
  • Cool 2

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,463 battles

17 minutes ago, HellaCopterRescue said:

Currently what do prefer to use? Where is your clan at in these ranking? If you are in a clan have you considered playing Supremacy League? If you are not in clan what do you use to evaluate the clans you are looking in to?

I use none of the above because I just don't care but people prefer to cherrypick 3rd party leaderboards to make themselves/clan look good. My clan plays in supremacy but due to time zones limitation I can't play this season.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles
1 minute ago, m373x said:

I use none of the above because I just don't care but people prefer to cherrypick 3rd party leaderboards to make themselves/clan look good. My clan plays in supremacy but due to time zones limitation I can't play this season.

Which is a very valid point....thankfully we don't have to rely on 3rd party leaderboards SoonTM . And you are right...the time and schedule limitations are what turns off a lot of people from SL and playing competitive. Hopefully with more clans playing they can create another comp schedule to accommodate those who aren't aligned in that time frame.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
378 posts
22,672 battles

What idiocy.

Ranking clans based on stats only?  Do you choose your friends based on their bank accounts?

If your mindset is such then kindly stay away from my clan/fleet.

~Sabene

proudly serving NGA these past 14 months

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabene said:

What idiocy.

Ranking clans based on stats only?  Do you choose your friends based on their bank accounts?

hahaha there is a reason why stats exist, there are people who use them.

and also

something gold diggers something something

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Im looking forward to clan wars, about time WarGaming implements a system for clans to battle without the need for third party organisations. 

Edited by aAkula
  • Cool 5

[O7]
Beta Testers
58 posts
8,290 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabene said:

What idiocy.

If your mindset is such then kindly stay away from my clan/fleet.

~Sabene

proudly serving NGA these past 14 months

People have tracked stats in competitive events since forever.  Horse racing, football, tennis, ect, ect, ect.  If that's, not your cup of tea that's ok.  Personally, I find most sports boring as all hell, but that doesn't mean I think the people who are into them are idiots. If competitive WoWs isn't your thing that's also fine, but there is no need to be petty and pissy about those who do.

How does comparing clans have anything to do with picking friends?  

• Cool 3

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles
12 minutes ago, aAkula said:

Im looking forward to clan wars, about time WarGaming implements a system for clans to battle without the need for third party organisations. 

Never seen that site before, maple syrup? Does this mean SALTY #1? Or am I reading this incorrectly? 

Yep, MapleSyrup is another leaderboard site and since SALTY has the highest number of battles and win rate combination it's #1 on there, unlike WoWs Stats Numbers which tracks Damage/Frags and Winrate in an algorithm called "Personal Rating" that is why SALTY is #2 currently on there. Recently WoWs Stats number fluctuates a lot of because clans are recruiting and dismissing ppl in preparation for Strongholds. Looking back in the Wayback Machine you guys were #1 a couple of days ago.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles

I'm just glad that Kraken recruits based on both personality and performance. Stats alone doesn't make me want to play with someone, but I do want to know I'm rolling with some of the best while having a good time. A lot of the clans in the top 10 make for great adversaries on the red team. I enjoy seeing who is up there, no matter what site is used. Can't wait for more clan content to come out. Also, I haven't heard of Maple Syrup for stats...thanks for the heads up @HellaCopterRescue

• Cool 2

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles
27 minutes ago, mmfullen said:

I'm just glad that Kraken recruits based on both personality and performance. Stats alone doesn't make me want to play with someone, but I do want to know I'm rolling with some of the best while having a good time. A lot of the clans in the top 10 make for great adversaries on the red team. I enjoy seeing who is up there, no matter what site is used. Can't wait for more clan content to come out. Also, I haven't heard of Maple Syrup for stats...thanks for the heads up @HellaCopterRescue

Kraken definitely fields an impressive roster, I always enjoy seeing them either on my team or the enemy. 

Competition is good. 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles
10 minutes ago, aAkula said:

Kraken definitely fields an impressive roster, I always enjoy seeing them either on my team or the enemy. 

Competition is good. 

Same goes to you guys. It's always a good match no matter what side we're on. 

[MIA-A]
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles
1 hour ago, mmfullen said:

I have had the pleasure of divisioning with Kraken members and they are as fine as players come....I might argue better...but I havent divved with every player on the server have I xD

MapleSyrup is definitely an interesting site. It is not widely known or used on the NA server and is more popular on EU and SEA. The data mining is also very interesting which unlike Warships.today or WoWs Stat it doesn't require an input to start tracking stats but rather has crawlers looking through the forums and wowsreplays to compile users. That is why some argue that it is better than the others statistically since it has a higher base of players to draw from. Always happy to help mate  :Smile_honoring:

Edited by HellaCopterRescue
  • Cool 1

[BBC]
Members
908 posts
12,224 battles

most excellent !

I was a elitist tanker (69 % purple people eater, only played in those evil top clans) now i can work on boosting my stats in ships to take my rightful place in the gaming royalty !

Which includes sneering at lessor players, using terms like Pub trash, filthy casual, play for fun losers- i will treat this game like  a second job ! and pity those who don't ! and oh YES  be sure to blame everyone on the team for being bad...... on losses, the wins being me and my division mates doing without team help.

this post while true is meant as sarcastic humor, and not to be taken to serious, let the clan wars begin !

Edited by Rilak

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles
44 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I couldn't possibly care less.

Good for you, you deserve a cookie.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,402 posts
25,221 battles

Will be fun to track ourselves against the top clans. 

BTW, if clans want to scrimmage in the training room with B2P, we are always happy to do that....

[-VT-]
Members
378 posts
22,672 battles
4 hours ago, InzaiJack said:

People have tracked stats in competitive events since forever.  Horse racing, football, tennis, ect, ect, ect.  If that's, not your cup of tea that's ok.  Personally, I find most sports boring as all hell, but that doesn't mean I think the people who are into them are idiots. If competitive WoWs isn't your thing that's also fine, but there is no need to be petty and pissy about those who do.

How does comparing clans have anything to do with picking friends?  

How does it indeed?

Time is spent with each person that comes into the clan.  Resources expended, if you will.

Given that, good people are preferred.  I look for Givers, not Takers.  Givers want to learn, grow and improve the fleet.  Takers just want, want, want.  And when they hit a ceiling in being spoon fed they hop to the next pasture where the grass is seemingly greener.  Seen it too many times.

If someone chooses a clan on stats alone, as OP and these stat sites suggest, then my bet is that person will most likely fall into the Takers category.

Not competitive?  Me?  My beloved Flint would suggest otherwise.

Sure, if you just want to win then pick your top tier clan by stats only.  Then hope you make the cut for the team.

But if you want a community and people you enjoy spending the time with...then you should look at much more than just stats.  Unlike a job, nobody is paying a person to be here so they had best find a place they enjoy.

Sab

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,373 posts
8,397 battles

It really depends how they are tracked/Ranked by WG.

either way.  its all for fun and more Content is a good thing.

[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,613 battles

*checks Maplesyrup

*sees clan is #8

Wait... What 

On further inspection, I don't like Maplesyrup's ranking. 

-QP- has a single guy with 10k+ battles and a ~59% WR, and somehow that single handedly makes our clan beat several admittedly stronger clans out of the top 10.

Theres no way my clan is having a higher influence on a battle consistently then guys from Kraken or Impact are, yet somehow we're rated higher. 

Nevermind, I misunderstood how their rating works. It's based on the two-month battle/wr count for each member of the clan.

I agree with the guys below me; rankings off of pub matches are questionable at best. 

Edited by _Fantomex_

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,655 battles

Does it really matter? A clan ranking based on pub smashing doesn't mean much to me. 

I know there is a certain twitch clip floating around from a clan that states "We need to let everyone know who the top dogs are on the server; now let me see what is the best ship to farm WTR is"

This type of talk just shows how meaningless pub smashing is...

Edited by FratStar4Life

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

The only ranking that matters is head to head competitive play.

Comparing stats from randoms is... silly.  

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles
8 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Head to had clan battles is the only way to determine who is better.  Period.

Well right now we don't have that, and we are limited to the third party stat sites we do have.

Might not be the best metric to compare clans, sure, although it does give a look into how active a clan really is.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this