You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Red_Hammer_Fleet

Making a hard decision

25 comments in this topic

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,340 battles

My current lineup has two destroyers (both tier IV), one BB (also tier IV) and a cruiser (tier V).

I feel like committing to one ship type and staying with it: destroyers. I don't terribly mind playing my battleship, but destroyers are where I have fun. While I might get nuked in the first five minutes of a match by enemy fire (or the occasional teamkill), there's a thrill of sorts from hauling [edited]across the map and laying down the hate from up-close. The feeling of "can I survive long enough to drop these torps and get out?" just gets me in a way that trading fire in my battleship doesn't.

The idea is to drop my other ships and committing to all the destroyer lines. To really mastering what it means to be a destroyer commander.

The question is: is it really worth it?

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles

Absolutely!

There is nothing wrong with dedicating yourself to one single type of ship in this game—a good deal of the best players have done so. There is something to be said for having tier-for-tier experience in the other types however, even if limited to Co-op, because it helps to better understand what they are capable of and what they aren't. That said, if you find battleships boring, then by all means don't force yourself to play them, same with cruisers, because that can lead to a lot of frustration (especially when you bump up against the finicky MM at certain tiers).

Besides, next to CVs, most destroyers have damn good carry potential.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

I think that DDs are a lot of fun to drive, and a helluva challenge to play well. Sadly, I've never been able to master DD play. My hat's off to those kick [edited]DD players who make my life in battle hell! :Smile_honoring: :Smile_great:  :Smile_playing:

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
11 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Both because they can annoy from far away; especially if all the anklebiters on the other team are gone.

One uses aircraft, and the other torpedoes and by capping in a ship no-one can generally see except as little red-triangle metal fishes swimming their way.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

very occasionally, you can have a great game in a DD. the skill ceiling is high, they are easy to utterly suck in, and you will take just about as much grief as CV players.

generally, I tend to be stupidly aggressive in them, which does not work well at all. so therefore, I suck at DDs big time. but those all too few good games I had still make me pull my shima out of port occasionally.... lol

[TBW]
Members
6,323 posts
11,878 battles

Go with your gut, do just that. and div with any of us when fulfilling other roles. I would div and communicate with Captains but they never invite me. I don't know why?

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

I have watched too many DDs suicide rush into the enemy lately, leaving the rest of the team powerless to contest caps.

Please bolster their ranks.

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,723 battles

Play what you love to play.

You do not have to master any ship or ship line.

Just play what you enjoy and you will find yourself getting pretty good at whatever ship/line/tier that may be.

For myself, I prefer DDs and have twice as many games in DDs as all other ship types combined.  And, umm, that is a lot.  ?

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
3 hours ago, Red_Hammer_Fleet said:

My current lineup has two destroyers (both tier IV), one BB (also tier IV) and a cruiser (tier V).

I feel like committing to one ship type and staying with it: destroyers. I don't terribly mind playing my battleship, but destroyers are where I have fun. While I might get nuked in the first five minutes of a match by enemy fire (or the occasional teamkill), there's a thrill of sorts from hauling [edited]across the map and laying down the hate from up-close. The feeling of "can I survive long enough to drop these torps and get out?" just gets me in a way that trading fire in my battleship doesn't.

The idea is to drop my other ships and committing to all the destroyer lines. To really mastering what it means to be a destroyer commander.

Yes, it's worth it to commit to a current line if you want to be really good in it

I had thousands of games in just Cruisers when I started playing DDs, boy did I suck, my Cruiser instincts were not a good fit for DDs

and I stopped playing them for a time till I won a Kamakazi R and then focused on playing it , I'm ok but Most likely will always be a better player in Cruisers, also play BBs now and that is much more forgiving of my mistakes 

this playing one thing to get proficient also works on specific ships that require a different style of play like my V Cruiser Murmansk that I have thousands of games in is played radically different than my X Zao, Im sure other younger players are better at switching lines and ships than me but ultimately it's all about fun

what suits your needs and wants when you first start playing will change thousands of games down the road so I go with the flow 

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,455 battles
3 hours ago, Red_Hammer_Fleet said:

Hey Red_Hammer!  I commend your commitment to playing DDs, but just one piece of advice since you want to master the DD.

I play all 3 gunship types and what a I found is that's playing the other 2 types helps make me a better DD player because I understand how the other ship type moves, reacts and the tactics that are used when they know a DD is hunting them.  When you get to higher tiers, this knowledge can help you get more Torp hits because you know what a BB or CA has to or is likely to do.

Knowing what a DD has to go thru for its torp tactics allows me in a CL/CA to charge smoke to kill a hiding DD with a high rate of success because I know what DD tactics are.  Conversely, if you're the hiding DD, reading the signs of a cruiser or BB captain who has this understanding, can help you to reserve torp or bug out in a timely manner, thus improving your survival chances.

Edited by hangglide42

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,878 battles

Agree, play what you enjoy. Games are supposed to be entertaining.  If it entertains you, go for it.

And another tip of the hat to anyone who is a skilled DD player.  I suk at DD play.  Even more so than in other ships.  One a few occasions I've been in a battle where we had a good DD player AND a good CV player on the team.  It's like pushing the "easy button".  If they're on the other side, well, it can make for a tough day at the office.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,024 posts

I would keep the battleship and a cruiser in your port and play them occasionaly. A change is as good as a rest. Playing other ship types will remind you of their strengths and weaknesses and make you a better tin can jockey.

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,433 battles

While sticking with one class because it's fun is reasonable, please don't try to limit yourself to one class "to become better".

Playing all the classes will give you excellent insight on how to kill them all, something much more valuable than the mechanical skill gained by sticking with a single class.
Also, as a bit of a warning, the heart pumping in your face torpedo assaults don't really as much as you go up the tiers.  Tier 7 is the last place you probably see them with any regularity.  On the other hand, the playstyle of other classes changes as well!  By continuing down all the lines, you might find a few playstyles you don't see in the lower tiers.

Possible fun things you'll miss:
Tier 7-8 German BB Secondaries and in your face brawling.
Tier 8-10 USN "Can I pull off this RADAR ambush on the DD and live?"
Tier 7-10  Cruisers and the high risk "at the edge of your range, but definitely in that battleship's lethal range" play.
Tier 5-7 Battleships who have vastly more effective/accurate guns than than tier 4.
Tier 7+ IJN and USN Battleships.  Broadside target?  That's a paddling.
Tier 10 IJN Yamato.  Biggest stick.  Comes with passive ability to aggro every enemy player in range.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,049 posts
9,289 battles

Personally I play all classes (only CVs in coop though). To me it makes for being a well rounded player and knowing each classes strengths and weaknesses.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
5 hours ago, Red_Hammer_Fleet said:

No its not.

Avoid the lines utterly and buy premium ,a example the japanese dd/gunboat line just buy kamikaze.

Us line just buy sims.

British line cruisers just buy belfast or that little dd thing.

The grind is pointless.

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

@Red_Hammer_Fleet,  if you like the fast play style, then yes, focus on DDs, but as many others have suggested, dont limit yourself to them only.  Know thine enemy and you can overcome him (or her).  

I just looked and have almost 400 more DD games than each of the other ship types (excl CVs) though I hesitate to call myself a "DD main".   

I've also played them all (or most) at some point, either on my live accout, the PT server or as a Corgi Captain. If you want to run and gun, play Russian DDs.  If you want Stealthy play, go IJN.  If you want a hybrid, go USN or KMS.  

Regardless, I encourage you to try them all and not let anyone dissuade you from a particular nation.  

I'm an average DD captain, but feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Good luck and fair seas!

B

Members
2,434 posts
12,163 battles

no. You will burn yourself out. I have all the tier ten dd's except the Khab and have that one researched as well. Each has its own gimic but in the end they are all mostly the same (except RU gunboats)...use your stealth, try to avoid planes, hydro and radar...work your rear end off for caps and keep your head on a swivel. Babysit BB''s screaming for smoke so they can rack up 180k damage games and you pray you can hit 8% of your torpedoes. It can be a lot of fun but playing different classes keeps the game fresher and you learn more about ship by playing it.. 

Diversify.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,356 posts
3,559 battles

Yes its definitely worth it. First main line I completed was USN DD's and it really helped me with the game mechanics in general. 

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,024 posts
1 hour ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

No its not.

Avoid the lines utterly and buy premium ,a example the japanese dd/gunboat line just buy kamikaze.

Us line just buy sims.

British line cruisers just buy belfast or that little dd thing.

The grind is pointless.

There is a point to the grind.

It's great that you advocate spending money and supporting the game, but skipping ahead tiers means you miss out.

Each ship in the progression has lessons to teach, for those who pay attention.

You can have a lot of fun along the way.

There is a thrill associated with unlocking each module.

Taking the freeway often means you miss out on some of the best scenery.

Members
1,056 posts
3,689 battles
6 minutes ago, Quaffer said:

There is a point to the grind.

It's great that you advocate spending money and supporting the game, but skipping ahead tiers means you miss out.

Each ship in the progression has lessons to teach, for those who pay attention.

You can have a lot of fun along the way.

There is a thrill associated with unlocking each module.

Taking the freeway often means you miss out on some of the best scenery.

No thanks tried it and the grind is horrific and zero fun.

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,340 battles

I ended up splitting the difference.

I dropped my Kirov, but kept the Kaiser. Picked up the DDs I was missing, and got to work. I had a few terrible games, and a couple good ones. I'll use the BB for taking a break, and I do want to get that Großer Kurfürst at the end of the German battleship line. Eventually, I'll bark up another tree for some ships.

Some of you say the grind isn't worth it, others say it is. Well, I'm pretty damn hardheaded. Time to make some bad decisions and get to grinding.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Absolutely!

There is nothing wrong with dedicating yourself to one single type of ship in this game—a good deal of the best players have done so. There is something to be said for having tier-for-tier experience in the other types however, even if limited to Co-op, because it helps to better understand what they are capable of and what they aren't. That said, if you find battleships boring, then by all means don't force yourself to play them, same with cruisers, because that can lead to a lot of frustration (especially when you bump up against the finicky MM at certain tiers).

I'm with this one here.  While I have some time in most everything, when I do something I do it exclusively.  most recently (like the last year) It has been the KM BB line.  I started with US line DD's, went to US Cruisers, back to US DD.. and then sort of BB main with a little here and there.   If your gut tells you DD is what you like, then do it.  I really like dd play also and even having not done it in a long time, am currently running the KM DD line and having a blast.  Goodwood really said it best,  knowing what other ships are about is good, but finding what you like a dedicating to it can be great.  Speaking of great and dedication to a class..  Anyone seen Fem around in her CV lately?  I can't say that I miss my weekly beat downs by her,  but it has been awhile since I saw her in a game.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

Do whatever makes the most fun, but just know, if you plan to truly master your skills as a DD player, you need to play every other ship too.  That's why the world's best 9-ball champions are/were also masters at 8-ball, straight pool and snooker.  It's why many of the top poker pros don't just play hold'em, but stud, Omaha, HORSE, etc.  And you can't be a 19 time grand slam tennis champion being only good on grass.

In WoWs, by having solid experience in all the other ships, you have the added knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses.  The timing of their consumables, the timing of their gun reloads, the distance of their radar, etc. etc.  Every tiny minutia of first-hand experience adds to the sum total of knowledge that sets you above the competition.  Casual players either don't care or do not recognize this importance and it hurts their ability to perform at a high level.

So the choice is up to you and there is no right or wrong.  Just pros and cons which you have to weigh.