You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

When is the right time to switch from Co-op to Random play?

36 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,412 posts
8,136 battles
1 hour ago, ENO75 said:

I'm on the other side of this suggestion. It's certainly valid and I apply this methodology when I take out a carrier (particularly a premium) for the first 1000 times or so. Who am I kidding, I never bring my premium carriers out.

But for most ships I find that sloshing around in coop is like putting a race horse on a treadmill to warm it up for the Kentucky Derby. It also restricts your XP / credit earning potential unless you're an absolute rock star. It builds false confidence in the ship as well- making the trip into rando's that much more daunting when you get your donkey handed to you a few times. 

I recommend you do some research in advance- watch some videos... heck- set up the training room functionality. But don't hang out in coop for the simple reason of "getting a feel for a ship" since it will be giving you  a feel for a ship in coop. Unless that's where you play all the time (I can't check stats on this computer) then I'd advise against it. 

I have to disagree. While I don't play a lot of random, I do ok as I will use the tactics recommended for random in co-op. If you are going to be a PvP main, I would not suggest playing tons of PvE, but playing enough in a new ship to find out how far you have to angle to bring the rear guns into action. What the shell arcs are like. What the dispersion is like. Turning radius and how fast. Etc. All those things you can do in a battle or few in PvE, so that when you get to PvP you know the basics of the ship handing for a new ship. 

Also, if you want to try out a new tactic that you have seen or try a new play style that is different from yours, popping into PvE means you can get the tactic or style down without being deleted for the first mistake. Once you have the tactic or style figured out, then pop into PvP to polish it up.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
11 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I have to disagree. While I don't play a lot of random...

Okay.

[PVE]
Members
11,412 posts
8,136 battles
19 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

Okay.

Since I'm not a PvP main, my opinion doesn't count. I do alright in random for being a PvE main, but whatever... :Smile_smile:

[PVE]
Members
111 posts
10,878 battles

I enjoy both venues, PVE allows a more relaxing game and the ability to try out new builds- new ships- new tactics with out compromising a team of PVP Die- Hard blood and guts its all they live for Super Unicom wannabee's who would explode if you did not play the way that want you too.

[PVE]
Members
11,412 posts
8,136 battles
27 minutes ago, gil5461 said:

I enjoy both venues, PVE allows a more relaxing game and the ability to try out new builds- new ships- new tactics with out compromising a team of PVP Die- Hard blood and guts its all they live for Super Unicom wannabee's who would explode if you did not play the way that want you too.

That is why I prefer PvE. If you potato up a match, it's not as big a deal. And you can try something out without getting deleted the first mistake you make.

[-BUI-]
Members
110 posts
6,307 battles
On 9/18/2017 at 3:25 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Honestly, I'd start Random Play at Tier I.,,

A nice thing about tiers 1-3 PVP is that MM tries to set you up with other n00bs, so you don't have as much chance of being seal-clubbed.

[-BUI-]
Members
110 posts
6,307 battles
On 10/20/2017 at 5:17 PM, Kizarvexis said:

Since I'm not a PvP main, my opinion doesn't count. I do alright in random for being a PvE main, but whatever... :Smile_smile:

I do very little in coop at this time. Having too much, er, fun grinding to some higher tiers. But I have certain issues with certain lines/ships, so I can see I will be returning to the coop soon to see what I am doing wrong in a somewhat less random arena.

When I have been in the coop, I'll say that I found, well, more co-operation. I found people either were friendlier (if they didn't ignore me completely). No ragers, so a + for serenity. Then I found out later that there are groups of peeps that do it exclusively, somewhat like a social networking site. I thought that was interesting.

[-BUI-]
Members
110 posts
6,307 battles

re: " sloshing around in coop", it got me to thinking: the main reason I quit doing a lot of coop is the fact that I don't want to blow my 50% XP for first win. If I could start with coop as a warm-up, I would love it. Instead, I usually start out with a lower tier ship that I do well with, and warm up that way. And once I'm revved up for PVP, well, I'm warmed up and don't think about PVE any more.

(St. Loo @t3 ftw, btw)

Edited by MajorKey
St. Loomore stuff

[PVE]
Members
11,412 posts
8,136 battles
10 hours ago, MajorKey said:

I do very little in coop at this time. Having too much, er, fun grinding to some higher tiers. But I have certain issues with certain lines/ships, so I can see I will be returning to the coop soon to see what I am doing wrong in a somewhat less random arena.

When I have been in the coop, I'll say that I found, well, more co-operation. I found people either were friendlier (if they didn't ignore me completely). No ragers, so a + for serenity. Then I found out later that there are groups of peeps that do it exclusively, somewhat like a social networking site. I thought that was interesting.

I started the PvE clan just for those of us who prefer co-op. No requirement to play only co-op or even to play so much a week. One of our members just finished the Yamamoto campaign in PvP and 7 of us played a clan battle for the flag reward. They got stomped, but had fun. I play some PvP when I feel that the mission reward is worth the trouble.

I agree that co-op is much more friendly than random battles and I find it more fun. I have a 50ish% WR in random battles so I think I know what to do. If you want to be a random main, you should only play PvE to warm up, learn a new ship or tactic or just to relax instead of rage quitting. :) We're friendly and don't care if randoms stop by to sink bots.

I do think that new players who pop back into PvE for their first T5 can benefit from having some success as bottom tier and when they are comfortable with being bottom tier can hop back into random battles. Maybe that would cut down on all the people thinking that the match is over the second that they are bottom tier.

[CGU]
Members
3 posts
3,111 battles

AI aiming is rediculous, better off learning a destroyer or cruiser with torps in pvp. AI auto target you with superior aiming. bbs are always targets last which makes them easy to use in co-op

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles

Everyone has their own comfort zone in this game. Whatever combination of mode, tier, and ship delivers the most satisfying game play is what you shoud focus on.

That said, don’t settle down to a specific spot too soon.  If you are at all competitive you will eventually find your sweet spot somewhere in Randoms.

Co-op is useful to me for specific WG missions, “Sink two Destroyers and survive”, “Earn 500 ribbons”, etc. It is stress free, and very forgiving.

That last part is why it is not a good idea to spend extended periods in Co-op. You do NOT get punished for making a mistake. When you screw up and pay the price, you “learn” much more quickly. The faster you learn, the more comfortable you become. The more comfortable you are, the more you will enjoy yourself.

Stretch a bit. Push up in a line that you like. Having a good game in a Random match is much more satisfying than one in Co-op. You will find your sweet spot eventually.