You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Fire Mechanic

16 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

I just came back from a 8 month layoff, I hated the fire mechanic before now it seems you are creating ships to highlight the worst mechanic in the game. I know this is not a simulation however I do not think it is to much to approximate naval combat. The fire mechanic is one of the most poorly thought out gaming mechanics in history and is probably one of the reasons why this game has been a huge disappointment for Wargaming financially speaking. 

When you can have a destroyer sit at 12k and burn a battleship to the waterline with no fear of retaliation....you have a problem. Get rid of the stupid fire mechanic, let HE do thinks like damage AA, secondary armaments, fire control, where HE progressively degrades a ships performance. As currently implemented the fire mechanic just makes the game not fun to play. After a 8 month layoff it has only taken about 25 battles for me to be ready for another 8 month layoff. In what world is it fun to spend 60% of the game on fire?

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles

I am sorry but you honestly don't understand what you can do to handle the situation.  You as a BB can repair all fire damage for one.  Secondly, I can hit DD's at 16km's out in my BB, so maybe you need to check your aiming skills?  Thirdly BB's are currently the one's using HE the MOST.  (British BB's).  So instead of playing only a few battles and calling it quits maybe checking what you are doing wrong is a better option.

• Cool 1

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

Fire should degrade a ships performance?

Well, you got what you asked for because that's what already happens. HP is equivalent to the combat capability(performance) of your ship. Your HP reaches zero and your combat capability is also zero. In other words, it's degraded to zero, by fires(or AP damage, or torpedoes, for flooding, etc.).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
4 hours ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

I am sorry but you honestly don't understand what you can do to handle the situation.  You as a BB can repair all fire damage for one.  Secondly, I can hit DD's at 16km's out in my BB, so maybe you need to check your aiming skills?  Thirdly BB's are currently the one's using HE the MOST.  (British BB's).  So instead of playing only a few battles and calling it quits maybe checking what you are doing wrong is a better option.

Looks, it's the "Defender of the Bad Game Mechanic" monks...

Edited by comtedumas

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
4 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Fire should degrade a ships performance?

Well, you got what you asked for because that's what already happens. HP is equivalent to the combat capability(performance) of your ship. Your HP reaches zero and your combat capability is also zero. In other words, it's degraded to zero, by fires(or AP damage, or torpedoes, for flooding, etc.).

Uh, no.  From 60000hp+ to 1hp, your ships acts as if it's 100% combat capable (with the rare disabling of a module).    What he is asking for (and what you know he is asking for but you want to play word games instead) is for ship capabilities to reduce as damage is taken.  

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles
5 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Uh, no.  From 60000hp+ to 1hp, your ships acts as if it's 100% combat capable (with the rare disabling of a module).    What he is asking for (and what you know he is asking for but you want to play word games instead) is for ship capabilities to reduce as damage is taken.  

But they already do.Everything on a ship in this game has a health pool, including the ship itself. As you take damage, those HP pools are reduced. You will lose AA guns, secondaries, engines, rudder, torpedo tubes, possibly main batteries, and even magazines(detonations). Fire is just one method by which this can happen. What he is asking for is already in the game to an extent.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

But they already do.Everything on a ship in this game has a health pool, including the ship itself. As you take damage, those HP pools are reduced. You will lose AA guns, secondaries, engines, rudder, torpedo tubes, possibly main batteries, and even magazines(detonations). Fire is just one method by which this can happen. What he is asking for is already in the game to an extent.

What part of "rare" aren't you Getting?  

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles
8 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Looks, it's the "Defender of the Bad Game Mechanic" monks...

It just sounds like you want BB's to have zero weaknesses.   "I don't want fire, its stupid."   okay lets buff torpedoes, "Torpedoes hurt me!  I need to be able to always dodge them!  The flood hurts too much!"   I am sure that is how it would go.  Mind you I BB main, so fire hasn't bothered me all that much, I handle it well.  I wonder why I doesn't bother me, yet somehow bothers you...

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,194 posts
4,125 battles
15 minutes ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

It just sounds like you want BB's to have zero weaknesses.   "I don't want fire, its stupid."   okay lets buff torpedoes, "Torpedoes hurt me!  I need to be able to always dodge them!  The flood hurts too much!"   I am sure that is how it would go.  Mind you I BB main, so fire hasn't bothered me all that much, I handle it well.  I wonder why I doesn't bother me, yet somehow bothers you...

Because you will accept any crappy gameplay WG mandates, and even defend such bad gameplay.  I said nothing about torpedos, they are and should be a threat to BBs, but the DDs should be aware they are doing something stupid by attackigng a BB in the first place.  

Members
474 posts
8,398 battles
2 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Because you will accept any crappy gameplay WG mandates, and even defend such bad gameplay.  I said nothing about torpedos, they are and should be a threat to BBs, but the DDs should be aware they are doing something stupid by attackigng a BB in the first place.  

Again you are being salty.  DD's have less fire chance in the first place.  80% or more of my fires are caused by cruisers not DD's.   It appears you are mad at bad circumstances.  Tell me do you hit repair the moment you get 1 fire?  or wait till you at least get two?   Did you go off on your own with no help?  Have you practiced shooting DD's?  If they take damage most start to run, and most don't even want to get within 12km and be spotted by german BB's or the later jap ones.  

It is not so much me defending a 'bad mechanic' as trying to anaylize why you are being so angry about what isn't a bad thing.  Fire is a balancer for other ships.  They burn less damage on CA's and DD's than BB's because its a steady percentage.  There are also skills and modules to medigate fire chances.  There is one that lessens your fire chance and removes 1 entire fire spot on your ship permanently.  (so you get 3 fire spots instead of 4).  Flags and modules that reduce the fire burn time.  Just the flag alone reduces it to 40 seconds.  Premium repair module helps too.   

Also going to your original post it goes down to one simple thing... shoot and hit the DD at 12 km's away.  Its not that hard.  If you need help on that just ask.

Edited by Valdez_Raptor
  • Cool 1

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles
55 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

What part of "rare" aren't you Getting?  

And what part of "Fire already reduces ship capabilities" aren't you getting?

Main batteries are not the only thing that makes a ship capable of contributing to the team.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
15 hours ago, Belthorian said:

When you can have a destroyer sit at 12k and burn a battleship to the waterline with no fear of retaliation....you have a problem

If you're dumb enough to let a destroyer sit at 12K and burn your battleship to the waterline without retaliation you are a potato, and deserve to be fried! Most fires are caused by BB's and Cruisers as most DD's have single digit fire starting percentages, usually between 6 to 8%.

In what world is it fun to spend 60% of the game on fire?

In no world, so why don't you learn a style of play which avoids that? Many BB players do; emulate them.

The fire mechanic is one of the most poorly thought out gaming mechanics in history and is probably one of the reasons why this game has been a huge disappointment for Wargaming financially speaking.

And yet it is basically unchanged since CBT, which is when you started playing, and you haven't learned to avoid it like other players do in all that time. Who needs to change?

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,185 battles

Just to reiterate what others have said, fire is actually a healthy balance for Battleships. Primarily cruisers set fires, and some RN battleships, as a means to damage them. While yes, cruisers can always do some damage, you may only get 2 or 3 pentrations that cause a limited amount where as the battleship returning fire can hit citadels on some ships at nearly any angle. A bow on battleship could become completely impervious to damage due to the damage saturation and armor on those ships. Honestly, it's a needed mechanic or this would be a game of nothing but battleships.

Also, the amount of damage by fire you can mitigate and repair are a huge factor. There are 6 captian skills available to help:  High Alert -10% to reload time of damage control party, jack of all trades for -5% reload time of all mounted consumables, basics of survivability -15% reload time for repair, fire and flood extinguishing, survivability expert for +350 health pool points for each tier of your Ship, fire prevention for -10% to the risk of fire and reduction to only 3 fires on the ship instead of 4, and finally Superintendent for an additional charge of all consumables including repair party.

That's not it though: damage control system module 1 for -5% risk of fire and damage control system modification 2 for -15% to fire extinguishing time.

Last but not least: the India Yankee flag for -20% to fire extinguishing time.

I'm not even going to get into the fact you can purchase premium consumables for silver credits which can reduce the time between repairs over 30 seconds or add an additional charge to repair party while also reducing the reload time again by more than 3 seconds.

I hate to say it, like others have, but you have all the tools in game to reduce the amount of damage by fire, repair it, and reduce the chances of it happening. Thus, im forced to say that perhaps ypu havent fully grasped all the game concepts fully and should perhaps practice more and do some research.

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
551 posts
4,747 battles

Fire damage is fine, and a necessary part of the game. 

As long as you know how to manage your health and can position your ship properly, fire damage should never be a consistent problem for you. Fire damage is completely healable, so as long as you don't get super focus fired by being totally out of position you can disengage and heal.