You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sprocket_Grease

Random Battles....no thanks

49 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,481 posts
21,810 battles
8 hours ago, Sprocket_Grease said:

The 2nd anniversary could be good, but then again, this is WG.... 

This made me laugh IRL. Maybe we need a prediction thread "How Will WG Screw the Pooch This Time?". I suppose it it could be a good time to invest in torch and pitchfork stocks, just in case!

• Cool 2

[5IN]
Supertester
2,042 posts
9,652 battles

Im no hater.  Play the game how you like.  Its supposed to be fun, right?

Anyway, regardless of team quality in Randoms, I prefer them over Co-Op because they are more exciting with more risk/reward.   I do co-op in CVs for practice, but usually not other ships.

Have fun, fellow captains, however you choose to play!

B

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,959 posts
9,582 battles

Lately I've been considering hopping in co-op just to chill with my 19-point ARP captain when not in mood for randoms. Never happened before.

However, I will insist a CV hater bring a CV of his own so I can shoot down a bot's planes and mock him for being "bot cancer" :Smile-_tongue:

Members
163 posts
411 battles

I'm just starting so of course I play nothing but Co-op, although I keep getting prompted to try Random and others have told me I should move on because the payout is better but I still have a lot to learn so I'm comfortable in there.

[PVE]
Members
1,703 posts
7,545 battles

One thing that is for sure....we who play co-op do not slam those that play randoms, cannot say it goes both ways, but hey whatever, play the mode that makes you the player the happiest.  It is a game, and games are suppose to be for fun, there is nothing pressing in this game that is real world related.

Personally, I too prefer co-op over randoms, it is relaxing with just enough tense moments to keep it interesting, but more importantly, it is fun and each battle onward continues to be fun and thats what counts!

With the current population in co-op seeming to be on the increase, I've said it before and I will keep saying, sure would be nice if WG would fix the Q time fiasco, it needs to be reverted back to 1 minute 30 seconds so that there is enough time for human players to be Q'ued in for higher tier play, right now with the Q being set at 30 seconds, tier 8 and up is a crap shoot with it being more than likely that you are going to get saddled with a mostly BOT team unless you are playing at the absolute most populated times  of the day, if that were rectified, co-op play would be even more fun.

Co-op brothers unite!

[WOLF9]
Members
4,063 posts

Another Co-op main here.  And for all the reasons mentioned.   I just get so tired of passive teams camping near spawn and just circling around...

Otoh, Co-op also has recently undergone a sea change to it's meta.  You see a lot more blowouts, and a lot fewer longer games with epic pulling wins out of the jaws of defeat.  People now mainly bring carry botes, and play them aggressively as eff- often stupidly so- because they can get away with it.  This usually results in the bot team being annihilated in under 6 minutes (including the mopping up of the 1 or 2 scattered stragglers), and half the player team getting squat for damage or other accomplishments- usually the half that brought a slow/damage over time ship.

Or you'll get a running of the bots- where they annihilate the players post haste.  I see this a lot in BB heavy matches (which used to be fun high damage slug fests).  They form up into a BB murder ball, and just roll over everything in their way.  The blowout usually happens due to a combination of poor player tactics, someone running away- and drawing EVERY bot in that direction; and the typical bot cheats.  This latter has always been there, but it seems more common now.

The first one really sucks a lot of the fun out of it for me.  I actually like longer matches where tactics and playing the objectives actually matter.

Basically, everything I've ground out has been in pve.  Inc 3 lines to tier 8, and several others to tier 7.  I'm still working on getting RU and US DD's out of tier 6 hell, but the going is slow due to the bot's anti-DD focus.  PVP games have been an occasional sideline- to do a mission or something.   In doing so, I ground out enough free XP to get Missouri as soon as it released, and am right back up to 400K again, now.  I'm also pushing 70 million credits- not bad for a mode with meagre rewards!

Still, for an action junkie like me- it beats the passive meta of randoms hands down.

Members
731 posts
4,262 battles
2 hours ago, bassmasta76 said:

Im no hater.  Play the game how you like.  Its supposed to be fun, right?

Anyway, regardless of team quality in Randoms, I prefer them over Co-Op because they are more exciting with more risk/reward.   I do co-op in CVs for practice, but usually not other ships.

Have fun, fellow captains, however you choose to play!

B

Yeah, I don't take my CVs out except for Co-Op.  I am NOT good enough to go against real live folks, and I would be a liability to any team that expected more from me than "ooh, look, planes!"

~B

[WOLF1]
Members
623 posts
13,154 battles

In my opinion the biggest issue is the powercreep past tier 6 and OP premium ships you face. Nothing is more fun or balanced than a true tier 6 mm setup, games usually go till the end and is fun as hell.

[PVE]
Members
16,634 posts
10,908 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 8:29 PM, Sprocket_Grease said:

It's basically no fun anymore.  MM is ridiculous, more and more battles are lopsided as [edited], and I have no desire to play nearly as much as I used to.

I find Co-op much more relaxing, and who gives a ripe [edited] if the rewards are small.  Of course they should be!  That and the teamwork I find is SOOOOO much better (well, better anyhow).

Anybody else feel this way, or am I just burned out?

Oh....and InB4 some yackoff brings it up:

Reveal hidden contents

yeah....I know I suck.  BFD..... 

Oh yeah, that is why I play co-op and only play randoms for events that I like that require random play. Way more relaxed and if someone potatos hard in a match, the other players can pick up the slack. We will usually laugh along with you if your point out your own potato-ness.  I know I do when I do something stupid. Very rarely, someone will be snarky, but I think that is the random players hanging out in co-op for some reason.

2 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

I'm just starting so of course I play nothing but Co-op, although I keep getting prompted to try Random and others have told me I should move on because the payout is better but I still have a lot to learn so I'm comfortable in there.

The tactics between the two are different. You can be more aggressive in co-op, but need to be a little more careful in random and not so careful that you don't push. Definitely learn to angle your ships and how to prepare ahead in BBs. Do check out the videos and people here in the forums for tips. Like I say above, I only play randoms for events that require it that I like.

2 hours ago, Judge_Doom said:

One thing that is for sure....we who play co-op do not slam those that play randoms, cannot say it goes both ways, but hey whatever, play the mode that makes you the player the happiest.  It is a game, and games are suppose to be for fun, there is nothing pressing in this game that is real world related.

Personally, I too prefer co-op over randoms, it is relaxing with just enough tense moments to keep it interesting, but more importantly, it is fun and each battle onward continues to be fun and thats what counts!

With the current population in co-op seeming to be on the increase, I've said it before and I will keep saying, sure would be nice if WG would fix the Q time fiasco, it needs to be reverted back to 1 minute 30 seconds so that there is enough time for human players to be Q'ued in for higher tier play, right now with the Q being set at 30 seconds, tier 8 and up is a crap shoot with it being more than likely that you are going to get saddled with a mostly BOT team unless you are playing at the absolute most populated times  of the day, if that were rectified, co-op play would be even more fun.

Co-op brothers unite!

Co-op Unite Yes! And encourage the bots when you are by yourself with them, as the poor little things get no love. :)  I started after the change to queue times, but would like to see what it is like to have a longer queue.

1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Another Co-op main here.  And for all the reasons mentioned.   I just get so tired of passive teams camping near spawn and just circling around...

Otoh, Co-op also has recently undergone a sea change to it's meta.  You see a lot more blowouts, and a lot fewer longer games with epic pulling wins out of the jaws of defeat.  People now mainly bring carry botes, and play them aggressively as eff- often stupidly so- because they can get away with it.  This usually results in the bot team being annihilated in under 6 minutes (including the mopping up of the 1 or 2 scattered stragglers), and half the player team getting squat for damage or other accomplishments- usually the half that brought a slow/damage over time ship.

Or you'll get a running of the bots- where they annihilate the players post haste.  I see this a lot in BB heavy matches (which used to be fun high damage slug fests).  They form up into a BB murder ball, and just roll over everything in their way.  The blowout usually happens due to a combination of poor player tactics, someone running away- and drawing EVERY bot in that direction; and the typical bot cheats.  This latter has always been there, but it seems more common now.

The first one really sucks a lot of the fun out of it for me.  I actually like longer matches where tactics and playing the objectives actually matter.

Basically, everything I've ground out has been in pve.  Inc 3 lines to tier 8, and several others to tier 7.  I'm still working on getting RU and US DD's out of tier 6 hell, but the going is slow due to the bot's anti-DD focus.  PVP games have been an occasional sideline- to do a mission or something.   In doing so, I ground out enough free XP to get Missouri as soon as it released, and am right back up to 400K again, now.  I'm also pushing 70 million credits- not bad for a mode with meagre rewards!

Still, for an action junkie like me- it beats the passive meta of randoms hands down.

You still can pull out a win against the rare killer bot team, but you better be on your toes as you will get 3-5 ships focus firing each player in turn to wipe out the green team.

[O_S_D]
Members
119 posts
4,813 battles

Me playing ranked: :fish_boom:

Me playing random battles: :fish_nerv:

Me playing operations: :Smile_izmena:

Me playing co-op: 

IHSLiVH.jpg

Which mode I play is entirely dependent on my mood and how much liquor in the house.  

• Cool 3

[J-F-F]
Members
63 posts
18,957 battles

Poor team in Random play does get old fast. As noted you can tell pretty fast if it's going to be a loser. Like having some idiot in a tier 7 cruiser take off like a fullback right up the middle at flank speed with no one else even in the same spawn area who can keep up with him. But when you get two even matched teams, it's 20 minutes of pure joy. But those are few and far between now days. I play a lot of COOPs and have started playing more of the COOP Operation. But that too can be a downer when players run off the chase a CV to kill or want to race Raptor to the safe zone.

I don't know the answer. Team battles seemed better, but those are gone and for good it appears. Clan battles if they show up may be better. But if don't use voice over, only a couple clan will take you.  I play at best 4 Randoms a night with a couple Elite captained ships, then all the rest are COOP.

[J-F-F]
Members
63 posts
18,957 battles
4 hours ago, OldFrog75 said:

I love hearing this. Learning is a big park that I think a whole lot of Random players missed. In this rush rush, gotta get there world we live in now. I think to many players have run up the tech trees and advanced to Random and Ranked when they still need to be in tier two learning DD tactics other than "pickle off the torps, smoke and run".  This has in my humble opinion caused mush of what we now see in Random battles.  Face it, we all hate to get popped by the enemy's  first salvo fired at us. Imagine what it's like for a tier two skilled player in a Shchors turning broadside to a North Carolina in the wide open ocean.....So they hide.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,264 battles

Power creep has arrived in WoWs.  I knew it eventually would.  I played WoT for 3 years.  Same company. I hardly ever play it anymore.... I just refuse to buy those premium tanks just to be competitive. I see this now in WoWs.  The tech tree ships slowly but surely becoming meat for those pay to play ships.  Ok. WG has to make money. Fine. But it's kinda a ponzi scam after WG gets ya hooked. Just be aware of this.  My 2 cents. They are a BUSINESS.  Just be aware of that.  Ok with me.....it is what it is.  IMO WoT is ruined.....totally.  Unless you are doing this.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Members
163 posts
411 battles
16 hours ago, _5_6__2015 said:

I love hearing this. Learning is a big park that I think a whole lot of Random players missed. In this rush rush, gotta get there world we live in now. I think to many players have run up the tech trees and advanced to Random and Ranked when they still need to be in tier two learning DD tactics other than "pickle off the torps, smoke and run".  This has in my humble opinion caused mush of what we now see in Random battles.  Face it, we all hate to get popped by the enemy's  first salvo fired at us. Imagine what it's like for a tier two skilled player in a Shchors turning broadside to a North Carolina in the wide open ocean.....So they hide.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm a slow and steady kind of guy.  I drifted over from WoT where I played 2500 battles in Tiers I-III before moving up to Tiers IV-V, in spite of tremendous "encouragement" to get to Tier V as fast as possible, because I knew I had a lot to learn and figured if I can't carry my weight in the lower tiers how could I possibly do that in higher tiers.

I think the Co-Op mode is great.  Unlike the WoT equivalent (Proving Ground), you still earn some credits and XP (albeit at a slower rate) and you can play any tier you want.  I wish WoT would adopt a similar mode.

Edited by OldFrog75
misspelling...grammar

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,998 posts

I just wish COOP bots had better tactics.  Rushing 4 BB's down the pipe in 2 Brothers makes no sense for BB's.  DD's and maybe a cruiser, but a BB that's a potato human move.  More recently I've seen hard core AI that thinks it is so tough it openly torpedoes it's own team mate just to show it didn't need that top tier BB to win the game.

• Cool 1

[USCC]
[USCC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
248 posts
16,491 battles

I love coop!! I have over 4tys games in coop .my best damge its 210tys in t6 game .now its time 2 find good coop clan.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
3 hours ago, StoptheViolins said:

I just wish COOP bots had better tactics.  

And could aim better.  I generally move my camera to another ship if I die early and I've noticed bots tend to shoot at anything that moves (including allies) and don't aim very well.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,481 posts
21,810 battles
1 hour ago, OldFrog75 said:

And could aim better.  I generally move my camera to another ship if I die early and I've noticed bots tend to shoot at anything that moves (including allies) and don't aim very well.

The AI they use in OPs is far superior than what is in Coop now and would love to see it brought to normal PvE play. 

Members
2,709 posts
16,911 battles
22 hours ago, Reymu said:

However, I will insist a CV hater bring a CV of his own so I can shoot down a bot's planes and mock him for being "bot cancer" 

While I'm not a CV hater, per se, Co-op is ths only place I will bring one. I have a Saipan that I only play in co-op. Feel free to join me!

Edited by sbcptnitro

Members
163 posts
411 battles
4 hours ago, _CamperBoy102_ said:

I love coop!! I have over 4tys games in coop .my best damge its 210tys in t6 game .now its time 2 find good coop clan.

4tys?

[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,568 posts
7,066 battles

Co op is love Co op is life

On another note, I play only co op on any given day because it will always stay consistent and will hardly ever change in each new patch.

There are times where I would stop playing for a few months or longer and by the time I get back to playing, I will be able to play co op the same way from what I remember and being a little rusty won't be a hindrance to me.

Random battles I don't particularly enjoy due to the disparities of the teams and not being too familiar with what the meta is. So by taking a break that last for a few months I find myself out of touch on how the random battles plays out and have to "relearn" some strategies or learn new ones. Then after getting the hand of it, I would take another break lol.

• Cool 1