You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ibrah_hero

should i get Kutuzov?

26 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
87 posts
3,317 battles

should i get Kutuzov? what is the play style of that ship?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,667 battles

That is one that I always wanted.  Mix IJN fire breather with Belfast.

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles

As someone with 399 battles in it...yes...yes you should. It's an awesome ship that farms credits. The Kutuzov does well even in tier 10 matches, which happen often with tier 8 matchmaking.

I play it somewhat aggressive at first. Get in close, smoke when necessary, and light fire to everything. With IFHE it's pretty overpowered. Also, if you get low on health you can stay further back and dodge shells quite easily. With 19.3km of range, it's very strong.

[SALVO]
[SALVO]
Members
87 posts
3,317 battles
4 minutes ago, mmfullen said:

As someone with 399 battles in it...yes...yes you should. It's an awesome ship that farms credits. The Kutuzov does well even in tier 10 matches, which happen often with tier 8 matchmaking.

I play it somewhat aggressive at first. Get in close, smoke when necessary, and light fire to everything. With IFHE it's pretty overpowered. Also, if you get low on health you can stay further back and dodge shells quite easily. With 19.3km of range, it's very strong.

im having trouble with credits so that may help... how much credit u get per game anyway?

[-K-]
Members
663 posts
6,924 battles
Spoiler

59b873b365a93_Kutuzov191kKraken.thumb.png.3f553a6f912b2ea996642574db0cff69.png

Getting 500k credits is pretty easy. A great game can get you 900k-1million credits. I have several games where I did 200k damage and got anywhere from 850k to 1 million. It prints credits just about as well as a Missouri, depending on your ability. It's more forgiving with the smoke.

Edited by mmfullen

[WOLF5]
Members
1,489 posts
2,043 battles
1 minute ago, mmfullen said:

Getting 500k credits is pretty easy. A great game can get you 900k-1million credits. I have several games where I did 200k damage and got anywhere from 850k to 1 million. It prints credits just about as well as a Missouri, depending on your ability. It's more forgiving with the smoke.

The MO is 300K credits on a total potato game. On a standard account a good game is 6-700K credits. A great one pushes me toward the 1M mark. Don't think the Kutuzov can quite do that.

However, the MK is on my short wishlist of ships to buy. I hate when one starts torching my BB from a smokescreen 18km away.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Love the ship.

Be aware that the upcoming smoke and IFHE nerfs might change her a bit. 

Vid is a few months old, but be aware of the upcoming changes.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles

59b874f467247_ScreenShot2017-09-12at19_59_06.thumb.png.02de6c413ededa11ba935fa9585cd7dd.png

I'm certainly not the greatest Kutuzov player ever, but I hope everyone can agree that I know what I'm doing.

Kutuzov is a modified Chapaeyv, in that you take the high game impact the Chappy have with the radar away, and push the Atago-style selfish hunter to the extreme. You are very maneuverable compared to other Russian cruisers, and you should use this to your advantage, coupled with the smoke generator, you can comfortably stall an entire battleship push attempt by getting into a 13-16km engagement distance, in which your 152mm fire breather are at their prime efficiency, a golden comfort zone that Chappy can only dream to get into due to its notorious fragility. 

One downside is that Kutuzov can only perform well with a skilled commander. Ideally you should prepare a 17-point commander, or else you will have to choose between superintendent (by default your smoke charge number is a pathetic 1) and demo expert, and between concealment expert and IFHE. 

Members
2,274 posts
7,311 battles

Yes and no.

- Yes, is a good ship;

- No, you have few XP with cruisers. Kut is a good ship, but its also a paper thin ship, literally any hit is a citadel. Kut rewards good positioning, if you get a good position you can farm damage, but if dont the enemy wil blow you with a single salvo. 

Get more XP playing with cruisers, if possible grind the soviet line, they play very similar to Kutuzov.

[TF16B]
Members
8,043 posts
16,978 battles
1 hour ago, Xlap said:

if you get a good position you can farm damage,

Biggest if of them all... Only reason I have one is it came in a Christmas container; otherwise I never would have purchased one.

If money's burning a hole in your pocket; get Alabama, Arizona, or buy some doubloons instead.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,335 battles

If you like a challenge then yes, you will need to take some time to learn how to play her effectively but most things of worth require effort. It's a fantastic ship (but you can be punished very quickly in it).

The upcoming changes to IFHE will impact negatively on her but I still think on balance it is a worthwhile investment and you will have many enjoyable battles in her.

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
4,714 battles
8 hours ago, Camo68 said:

The upcoming changes to IFHE will impact negatively

Actually I believe they won't. Last I knew Wargaming decided not to do the -8% for the 153mm. The only change is how it affects DD guns. For them it will -1% while every one else will still be -3%.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles
12 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

59b874f467247_ScreenShot2017-09-12at19_59_06.thumb.png.02de6c413ededa11ba935fa9585cd7dd.png

I'm certainly not the greatest Kutuzov player ever, but I hope everyone can agree that I know what I'm doing.

Kutuzov is a modified Chapaeyv, in that you take the high game impact the Chappy have with the radar away, and push the Atago-style selfish hunter to the extreme. You are very maneuverable compared to other Russian cruisers, and you should use this to your advantage, coupled with the smoke generator, you can comfortably stall an entire battleship push attempt by getting into a 13-16km engagement distance, in which your 152mm fire breather are at their prime efficiency, a golden comfort zone that Chappy can only dream to get into due to its notorious fragility. 

One downside is that Kutuzov can only perform well with a skilled commander. Ideally you should prepare a 17-point commander, or else you will have to choose between superintendent (by default your smoke charge number is a pathetic 1) and demo expert, and between concealment expert and IFHE. 

That's no choice at all.  Demo expert is not worth three captain points, CE and IFHE are worth the cost.

Yes, buy Kutuzov.

Edited by crzyhawk

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles

100% yes.  MK is probably one of my more enjoyable premiums.  It takes some adjustment from other cruisers, but its a great Firestarter and wrecks DDs.  

Just keep your head on a swivel and pay close attention to the mini map.  Lastly, as others have mentioned, a skilled captain is a necessity as the smoke charges arent enough without Superintendent.  

Gl;hf,

B

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles
50 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

That's no choice at all.  Demo expert is not worth three captain points, CE and IFHE are worth the cost.

Yes, buy Kutuzov.

Taking IFHE without Demo experts completely destroys your capacity to impact tier 10 games, not recommended for players who wish to achieve and maintain a winrate higher than 58%.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,335 battles
3 hours ago, Nimitz_1701 said:

Actually I believe they won't. Last I knew Wargaming decided not to do the -8% for the 153mm. The only change is how it affects DD guns. For them it will -1% while every one else will still be -3%.

You are right I was thinking of the smoke changes not IFHE

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles
28 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Taking IFHE without Demo experts completely destroys your capacity to impact tier 10 games, not recommended for players who wish to achieve and maintain a winrate higher than 58%.

I run IFHE and DE and would agree.

Lol, this thread inspired me to take out my MK this morning.  First battle, meh.. 1 kill, 39k dmg.  Subpar for my experience in it.  Second battle was a different story.  4 kills (missed Kraken by a hit), 145k dmg, Confederate.... very fun. 

B

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
15 hours ago, Ibrah_hero said:

should i get Kutuzov? what is the play style of that ship?

Can you say the word fun !! This ship has plenty of that, lots of shells going down range to about 19k fast reloads at just over 7 seconds, 8 k torps and 

smoke that you may not want to sit in all that often because there a Torp magnet but putting smoke between you and that big bad nasty BB ... Walla were did the Kutuzof go , it is one fun boat you won't regret buying or playing it 

Members
1,504 posts
7,919 battles

Hey

Being an average player; it does take some skill with the Kutuzov as it can get focused fired on and deleted but when all goes right and you pick your targets, you can farm some really decent damage in it.  One very good skill to have is superintendent for the extra smoke charge and run premium on everything, since basic ship is only 1 smoke charge, 2 smokes with premium consumable and then 3 charges with SI  .  I am running PT, EM, DE, IFHE But I really want to add SI as I stated above.  I have had games range from 3K-100K.  One game this morning was 99,938 damage 2 ships sunk.   I would recommend you get it but it works best with a higher point capt.  mine was only 10pts (almost 11 now)

Pete

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,017 posts
11,538 battles
11 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

I disagree with you,  My Kutuzov does plenty of damage without it.

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles

The answer I would give is, "Yes, but wait."  She is a fantastic ship with better range than her peers, significantly better range than many of them, and better range than some battleships and even some Tier IX and X cruisers (though, she does not have a spotter which some of them do).  She has torpedoes, Defensive Fire (or Hydro), and Smoke.  What's not to love?

The only reason I would say, "wait," is that they are currently testing changes to smoke.  This is the second idea they have tried.  This change will make you visible for 20 seconds after firing from within smoke if an enemy is within a range based, largely, on your gun size.  it is not as big as the bloom that was designed to eliminate open water stealth firing, but it will make you visible for 20 seconds at a time when you are stationary or virtually stationary if you are seen.  That is much more dangerous than being lit beyond your detection range while moving at full speed.

While the Kutuzov has far more going for her than just smoke and while you should not be so dependent on smoke that you cannot succeed in her (or any ship) without it, smoke is clearly a huge asset for her as it now works.  Thus, it might be a good idea to wait until they implement or scrap this current change before you buy her because she will be a different ship after the change.

I suspect that the Kutuzov, due to her fantastic range, will be the least affected of all ships by this current change.  However, buyer beware is always a good motto to live by, and it wouldn't hurt to be sure of what the changes are before you buy it.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
9 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

The answer I would give is, "Yes, but wait."  She is a fantastic ship with better range than her peers, significantly better range than many of them, and better range than some battleships and even some Tier IX and X cruisers (though, she does not have a spotter which some of them do).  She has torpedoes, Defensive Fire (or Hydro), and Smoke.  What's not to love?

The only reason I would say, "wait," is that they are currently testing changes to smoke.  This is the second idea they have tried.  This change will make you visible for 20 seconds after firing from within smoke if an enemy is within a range based, largely, on your gun size.  it is not as big as the bloom that was designed to eliminate open water stealth firing, but it will make you visible for 20 seconds at a time when you are stationary or virtually stationary if you are seen.  That is much more dangerous than being lit beyond your detection range while moving at full speed.

While the Kutuzov has far more going for her than just smoke and while you should not be so dependent on smoke that you cannot succeed in her (or any ship) without it, smoke is clearly a huge asset for her as it now works.  Thus, it might be a good idea to wait until they implement or scrap this current change before you buy her because she will be a different ship after the change.

I suspect that the Kutuzov, due to her fantastic range, will be the least affected of all ships by this current change.  However, buyer beware is always a good motto to live by, and it wouldn't hurt to be sure of what the changes are before you buy it.

Your right about becoming visable while shooting in smoke 

but myself I never sit in smoke in the Kutuzof anymore, radar and Torps makes this a risky play , what I use it for and it works great is escaping from enemies by deploying smoke and escaping behind it, this tactic has saved me countless times 

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles
2 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Your right about becoming visable while shooting in smoke 

but myself I never sit in smoke in the Kutuzof anymore, radar and Torps makes this a risky play , what I use it for and it works great is escaping from enemies by deploying smoke and escaping behind it, this tactic has saved me countless times 

That is why the Kutuzov is probably least affected by this change.  If you are at risk of getting lit by firing after the new change, you are within the range where radar, hydro, and torpedoes are the greatest risk.  However, the Kutuzov is able to fire from well beyond the range where it will be lit by this change to smoke and even well beyond any radar range (and I am not talking microwave ovens here :Smile_teethhappy:),   At that kind of range, torpedoes are not much of a threat nor is blind return fire, especially if you are not sitting in just one spot the entire time.  You can, though be very effective about punishing BBs, for instance, lumbering across an open area.

As I said, though, smoke is clearly not the Kutuzov's only asset and there are clearly other ways of making use of her smoke than firing from it like the kinds of things you are describing.

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,564 battles

Short answer: yes. Somewhat longer answer: as a credit earner, it's the best credit earner after Missouri. As an effective/competitive ship, yes. As a unique or semi unique play style a soft no; spamming he/ap from smoke is not unique but her flat firing arcs make it a little different plus she has a decent AA capability. Her capabilities, all around fun play and credit potential make her well worth the money.