You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Ramming with BB's

18 comments in this topic

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

One thing in WOWS  I love to do is just ram people with my BB and imagine the look of sheer terror on their face for the previous few moments when they realize what is about to happen. Of course BB's are painfully slow/slower compared to their opponents so I don't get to enjoy this pleasure as often as I'd like. Any BB's I should shoot for that would be pretty good for this play style? 

Cruisers are better at ramming because the enemy naively believes that you won't suicide run themw but A I like playing and would like to start surviving collisions and B I don't like playing as cruisers. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,475 battles

did you use the Ramming signal in every game?

it will boost your ramming survivability more. 

[TF16B]
Members
8,064 posts
17,019 battles
36 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Any BB's I should shoot for that would be pretty good for this play style? 

IJN are the fastest at most tiers, but of course have weaker armor.

Best Premium? 'La Torpille,' or as it's offically known; the Dunkerque.

Mind you; ramming might bring out the saltiness on both sides; depending on the circumstances.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
4 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I rarely see example of ramming equalling good play. It's usually someone being stupid.

I usually play the game normally to start but if I'm within 2-3 k's of someone depending on the circumstances and what ships we have I'm going to go for it, especially if things aren't going well. Sometimes I'm having a decent game and want to keep it going or I'm going to win the firefight without the ram so I coward out of it though. 

My first week playing the game I split a ship in two and even though I haven't done it since it's a goal of mine, 

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
40 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

did you use the Ramming signal in every game?

it will boost your ramming survivability more. 

What's ram signalling? Honestly never heard of it before.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
2,551 battles
5 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Hotel Yankee. It is a signal flag under the catagory "exterior" which increases your ramming damage by 50% and most importantly a 20% damage reduction when ramming and let me tell you, that 20% seems small but it the line between you dying and a Die-Hard award.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,475 battles

7 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Well, you can equipped your ship with extra signals to assist you in your quest

Hotel Yankee  :

• -20% to damage received when ramming the enemy.
  • +50% to damage dealt when ramming the enemy

Or even better I found this for you to research on, it will help you tremendous later. Don't forget use carmo as well

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Flags

Members
3,641 posts
13,487 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I rarely see example of ramming equalling good play. It's usually someone being stupid.

Or desperate and wanting to take his opponent down with him. I had a player in a Arizona that I had heavily damaged and had on fire ram me while I was driving my Dunkerque. He was closing but I thought he intended to hit me with a point blank salvo. Instead, at the last moment he turned into me. I got "Die Hard" out of that but a Colorado about 12 klicks away finished me off with one salvo. (spoilsport!)

9 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Hotel Yankee. "-20% to damage received when ramming the enemy". "+50% to damage caused when ramming the enemy".

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles
19 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The only time ramming is a good move is when it's an enemy with more health or other major advantage (i.e. you can't kill him any other way) who needs to die (or you can die without hurting the team's chance to win). Other than that, it's risky, and generally a bad move.

But it's glorious when you do it.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,475 battles

In Ramming, both ship perish, so depending on the scenario that you in some time not wise to ram, some time it is best to ram

Scenario 1: 2 ships left on both side, you need to win, normally I will in my bb sink 1 ship, then ram the last win so that I can win the match. In the process of course my ship already damage, so that no chance I can win on fight the 2nd ship

Scenario 2: 2 ships on red, and you as a lone survivor, no brain in this situation, you need to run

General case, if you like to ram, use the camo to reduce your detection radius down even further with -3%, if you had a capt skill with CE, that reduce it down more, you are hiding behind the island with the intention to ram, they wont be detecting you until you in their face, this will be more horrify then ever ... so I hope it help

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
2,551 battles

Except if you are on full health, you can survive ramming with a ramming signal or if it is BB ramming a DD but then the question would be, how in the world did the DD get that close.

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
2,551 battles
Just now, Aristotle83 said:

Thank you for your very helpful replies!! 

You are welcome.

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,145 battles

Ramming has a time and a place.  Sometimes it is the best option given the circumstances.

Last night while in my Zao and at 3k HP, an NC on 1/4 HP and I defended a cap vs full health Bismarck and Iowa on 3/4 HP as they pushed towards us during a cyclone.  Team was up in ships by two.  I dropped torps along the expected path of approach form my starboard side.  There were two hits before they were spotted.  Then I flipped to launch the port side expecting to die as soon as we got spotted (cyclone).  The second set of torps missed the Iowa but hit the Bismarck who had repaired his earlier flooding.  Told NC to fire HE and Bismarck which was further back in hopes of setting a fire to compound the loss of HP and ram the Iowa.  He did just that and got himself a good chunk of damage.  Both high health enemy BB's were sunk in a trade with two low to mid health ships.  

The Iowa called the NC a coward for actually making the smart play in the situation.  We won the game on points with a 1v1 fight at the end.  Had that NC not done what he did, we would have lost.  I was called a seal clubber for sailing a tier X ship... :Smile_sceptic:

Now, a bad trade in a ram is if you have more HP than the intended target and you die as a result.  In that case, you helped the opposing team.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Many pre-dreadnought battleships were built with a ramming prow. It was quickly realized that this was not a viable tactic in the 1890s and onwards given the effectiveness of mines and torpedoes; however this will not stop them from ramming in WoWs and I see it as a cardinal feature of pre-dreadnought battleship play when more pre-dreads are brought in, Ramming flags are a positive inducement to ram and at this level you can mount the flag with a fair expectation that it will be used. Likewise a ramming prow would result in less damage to the ramming ship as opposed to the usual instant detonation of both ships.

Pre-dreadnought ships I've listed as contenders for WoWs:

[FG]
Members
121 posts
9,019 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 7:43 PM, AJTP89 said:

The only time ramming is a good move is when it's an enemy with more health or other major advantage (i.e. you can't kill him any other way) who needs to die (or you can die without hurting the team's chance to win). Other than that, it's risky, and generally a bad move.

But it's glorious when you do it.

I believe it was my first battle in the North Carolina when an enemy Yamato turned the corner...he was almost full health and I was burning with a non-extinguishable fire...I rammed him, we both died.  He called me stupid, my team applauded my efforts.  It was glorious for one match...

And that was the one time I battleship rammed on purpose.

• Cool 1