You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xlap

French CAs?

20 comments in this topic

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles

Im currently grindding the french cruiser line, t9 Saint-Louis atm, and i was checking some stats and i realize that starting at t7 when the line moves from CLs to CAs the french ships are the least played cruisers in the game, and by a large margin. The fun thing is that their stats are good, they are often in the top stats for their tier, so its not like the french line is terrible and is underperforming.

Personally im liking a lot of the french line, t4/5 were ok, t6 was meh and from t7 to t9 they are all good ships IMO. 

Is there any reason to why they are the least played cruisers in te game?

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,713 posts
9,452 battles
2 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Currently, there are lots of new ships just been released by WoWs, for example the RN BB line .... on top of that, the French is still new, not many people try them.

Also the fact of getting to play a new line starting from t1 is daunting them, and that if in experiences, is not a pleasant experience at all. For minority experienced players, we do enjoyed the line.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Pretty sure it is just that they are a recent line and people are still getting accustomed to them.

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

They're just the newest. They play a lot like Japanese cruisers, but are speedier and have smaller torpedo armaments, so people who like the playstyle are already invested in the IJN line and don't want to start from scratch.

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

They are fun ships... at least Algerie and Charles Martel.  Saint-Louis, not so much, at least for me.  I play it rarely though, after trying the Henri IV grind.  I'll finish it someday...  

Despite my T9 issues, they are good ships with good HE and AP, but are aomewhat fragile.  Not nearly as fragile as Russian Cruisers, but they dont take a beating like their IJN counterparts.  Aim at one... dont shoot, just aim, and it might lose its rudder.:Smile-_tongue:

Im sure there are others, but @renegadestatuz is my go-to French CA/CL expert...  he may have some good advice if you are interested.

B

[TBW]
Members
6,331 posts
11,884 battles

Still grinding the French line at tier 8 and soon to be 9. I do all of the lines so I spend a lot of time in premiums trying to make enough credits for my next ship.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles

Know it is new, but after having done the IJN cruiser grind, French was similar and really did not take that long.  Henri is very powerful and worth it (feel bad that I don't play it enough but with tier 10 credit costs and also have Hindy, Zao, Minotaur, Moskva , so too many great cruisers and not enough tier 10 time).  

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

Part of the reason why they're played less, besides the fact that they're he newest cruiser branch, is that unless you're a pretty solid player they have no real carry potential. Don't get me wrong, they are extremely fun ships and Henri is probably my favorite of my tier 10 cruisers, but most of the line has no solid carry/late game potential. They excel at damage farming. They specialize in sitting back and just lighting everything they see on fire while zipping around the map. Think of an oversized RU DD. But that's the issue. They're not meant to get in and brawl and aren't terribly good and picking off DDs. They feed on lighting BBs on fire. You mainly rely on your team to carry on most cases unless you know how to really make them work or are a very solid player.

Henri has some pretty solid late game potential though if you can make it to late game. She's incredibly fast, and when you have the speed boost upgrade on her it's like having an almost permanent speed boost for the match. So she can chase down most DDs at the end with the exception of some. And she has those large guns that pack a punch and can demolish weakened cruisers. But she doesn't have the dpm to be trying that on healthier cruisers or the armor. Trying that with multiple ships around early or mid game and you will get wrecked.

But early and mid game with them, just focus on ships like you're going down a line. Find a nice juicy BB, and light him on fire. Once he DCs, hit him again until you light another fire or two. Then move on to the next target while your team focuses on the BB you just left to burn. Rinse and repeat. But like I said, you'll be able to farm massive damage, but you'll mainly rely on your team to finish the job. Or you can keep focusing on that one target while while kiting away. They've got the speed and excell at doing it. Keep pounding him until he bleeds/burns out.

Their AP is very solid but you need to be in closer to make good use of it.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles

Still at Emile, no motivation to go any higher...

...besides; I just got my Dunkerque driver to 19 skill points; what need have I for another 19 captain in such a tiny tech tree?

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles
2 hours ago, renegadestatuz said:

Part of the reason why they're played less, besides the fact that they're he newest cruiser branch, is that unless you're a pretty solid player they have no real carry potential. Don't get me wrong, they are extremely fun ships and Henri is probably my favorite of my tier 10 cruisers, but most of the line has no solid carry/late game potential. They excel at damage farming. They specialize in sitting back and just lighting everything they see on fire while zipping around the map. Think of an oversized RU DD. But that's the issue. They're not meant to get in and brawl and aren't terribly good and picking off DDs. They feed on lighting BBs on fire. You mainly rely on your team to carry on most cases unless you know how to really make them work or are a very solid player.

Henri has some pretty solid late game potential though if you can make it to late game. She's incredibly fast, and when you have the speed boost upgrade on her it's like having an almost permanent speed boost for the match. So she can chase down most DDs at the end with the exception of some. And she has those large guns that pack a punch and can demolish weakened cruisers. But she doesn't have the dpm to be trying that on healthier cruisers or the armor. Trying that with multiple ships around early or mid game and you will get wrecked.

But early and mid game with them, just focus on ships like you're going down a line. Find a nice juicy BB, and light him on fire. Once he DCs, hit him again until you light another fire or two. Then move on to the next target while your team focuses on the BB you just left to burn. Rinse and repeat. But like I said, you'll be able to farm massive damage, but you'll mainly rely on your team to finish the job. Or you can keep focusing on that one target while while kiting away. They've got the speed and excell at doing it. Keep pounding him until he bleeds/burns out.

Their AP is very solid but you need to be in closer to make good use of it.

I kinda agree with you. French cruisers are kinda selfish, they dont bring much utility for the team. They would not be the best choice for a division or a competitive game. But we have few team play and strategy in random battles, so the best way to win and carry a game is dealing as much damage as you can, at least you can salvage some XP and credits. And the engine boost really helps with that, you can run up and down the map DPSing the enemy team. 

[SPTR]
Members
25,641 posts
10,824 battles

Agreed with Renegadestatuz most of them play for their survival at the back that you use teammates as bait to draw fire they don't bring much to help the team apart from fire chance that makes enemies burn damage control. Yes Henri IV is my most fav TX.

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles
16 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Also the fact of getting to play a new line starting from t1 is daunting them, and that if in experiences, is not a pleasant experience at all. For minority experienced players, we do enjoyed the line.

This is kinda truth, when hte line first came out i was kinda lazy to grind from lower tiers, and didnt played the french cruisers. But when that french event came i had a incentive to grind the line. And guess what, i really enjoyed the line.

[DD214]
Members
757 posts
On 9/12/2017 at 10:21 PM, Xlap said:

I kinda agree with you. French cruisers are kinda selfish, they dont bring much utility for the team. They would not be the best choice for a division or a competitive game. But we have few team play and strategy in random battles, so the best way to win and carry a game is dealing as much damage as you can, at least you can salvage some XP and credits. And the engine boost really helps with that, you can run up and down the map DPSing the enemy team. 

I beg to differ. The folks who say the French don't bring much to the team do not understand how to fight with them. 

59ca8a5728601_cmartel150K4killstestserver.thumb.png.050d18b647d952dd5bb68a235099b535.png59ca8a8182985_henricarry.thumb.png.10b1ecaf95c344475a9f6f1a16348b2c.png59ca8a86e5d84_Henribigwin2ndplace2017-08-1414_06_14-WorldofWarships.thumb.jpg.79c2f4de489a727a9dbe5eadb07e09de.jpg

Saint Louis carry 1.jpg

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles
29 minutes ago, Seamus_44 said:

I beg to differ. The folks who say the French don't bring much to the team do not understand how to fight with them. 

For a competitive game (ranked/clan ward) i think there are better choices (like radar or smoke cruiser). But in random games is all about how much damage you can deal, and french CAs are pretty good with that, and the engine boost help a lot with that. 

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

It depends, the Henri IV is like a big Khab and can really lock down a flank or turn it under the right circumstances. It is not just about DMG. 

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles
6 hours ago, Seamus_44 said:

59ca8a5728601_cmartel150K4killstestserver.thumb.png.050d18b647d952dd5bb68a235099b535.png59ca8a8182985_henricarry.thumb.png.10b1ecaf95c344475a9f6f1a16348b2c.png59ca8a86e5d84_Henribigwin2ndplace2017-08-1414_06_14-WorldofWarships.thumb.jpg.79c2f4de489a727a9dbe5eadb07e09de.jpg

Saint Louis carry 1.jpg

I just had a 110K damage game in the Algerie after 5 or 6 games with her... I have gone into caps - no reason to fear other cruises and if you can stay hidden - torps into the BB for a win... ;)

[AR]
[AR]
Members
311 posts
11,632 battles

French cruisers are surprisingly hard to hit....as far as cruisers go. Firing at them in a BB is very vexing.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,486 posts
8,034 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, Xlap said:

Im currently grindding the french cruiser line, t9 Saint-Louis atm, and i was checking some stats and i realize that starting at t7 when the line moves from CLs to CAs the french ships are the least played cruisers in the game, and by a large margin. The fun thing is that their stats are good, they are often in the top stats for their tier, so its not like the french line is terrible and is underperforming.

Personally im liking a lot of the french line, t4/5 were ok, t6 was meh and from t7 to t9 they are all good ships IMO. 

Well, if u watch Flamu on YouTube, you'd know why. Problem with the French is that they really do nothing new; have little or no utility past tier eight. Speed boost is only self serving and they have no access to radar and too squishy for hydro. Even at tier six I find French cruisers hardly exciting though pretty; they do do pretty well in scenarios with their long rang torps and fast turret traverse but scenario's are in them selves restricting.

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles
8 hours ago, Aiser50 said:

French cruisers are surprisingly hard to hit....as far as cruisers go. Firing at them in a BB is very vexing.

He last couple days by Algerie has been very easy to hit.  Not sure I have had any game over 27K damage since last weekend.

1,542 posts
26 battles

I know I say it all the time, but French botes are love <3 They're fun and pretty and I enjoy playing through the line. More French botes, MORE I SAY!