You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

DDs Shooting Their Guns Out in the Open

36 comments in this topic

[MIA-A]
Members
344 posts
9,807 battles

Can anyone help me understand the players that drive around shooting out in the open. Today a Mahan player is shooting his guns and getting shot up by cruisers. I tell him to pop his smoke but the potato keeps shooting until he died. He never once popped smoke.

[BIAS]
Members
3,158 posts
9,299 battles

Gunboats dds are going to gunboats. Do you play dd much? Specifically American and Russian dds? 

Beta Testers
2,989 posts
4,192 battles

There is almost zero situations where you should fire your guns continuously while in open water in USN DDs.

Outside of stictly DD duels <7km you are going to lose in every other situation. USN 5" are just that garbage at range regardless of how high the RoF gets per tier. The ranges you need to do effective DPS with it are also the ranges you will eat **** in while lit.

[DAKI]
Members
629 posts
6,487 battles
6 minutes ago, Naughtius_Maximus said:

There is almost zero situations where you should fire your guns continuously while in open water in USN DDs.

Outside of stictly DD duels <7km you are going to lose in every other situation. USN 5" are just that garbage at range regardless of how high the RoF gets per tier. The ranges you need to do effective DPS with it are also the ranges you will eat **** in while lit.

Ive never played them, but in those ships, dont most usually use cover since the guns have very high arcs?

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

They could have been 6 years old. The game is open to all ages and intelligence's.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,600 battles
Just now, awildpervert said:

Ive never played them, but in those ships, dont most usually use cover since the guns have very high arcs?

Like an Atlanta, yes.

Beta Testers
2,989 posts
4,192 battles

Yeah, which is why I couched my opinion with "in the open."

They will flat out lose to anything else with those guns outside of 7km. And that only applies to DDs not named Khab. Everything else will just flat out destroy the USN DDs. Torpedoes are the answer, but if you are engaging already, it is very unlikely you can knock them down to say, 3k HP (from where your pitiful DPS and HP might actually pull off a gun vs gun win) when they see you and therefore know the torps are coming.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles
15 minutes ago, IvanPonomarev said:

Can anyone help me understand the players that drive around shooting out in the open. Today a Mahan player is shooting his guns and getting shot up by cruisers. I tell him to pop his smoke but the potato keeps shooting until he died. He never once popped smoke.

It's the urge you get first few games. 'This game is about shooting yer guns yeah?" pow pow pow!

These people getting ticked off must be old crumbs.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
344 posts
9,807 battles
16 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Gunboats dds are going to gunboats. Do you play dd much? Specifically American and Russian dds? 

Idk I have the Khabarovsk, Gearing, Shimakaze, And Grozovoi in my port. I probably have no clue how to be a gunboat dd. :sarcasm:

Edited by IvanPonomarev

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,084 posts
6,836 battles

well, they cant stealth fire anymore in open water, you want to be the one spotting for them or have them sit behind an island? because thats the only way now they can fire without being seen nowadays

Edited by tcbaker777

[LHG]
Members
1,196 posts
4,986 battles

Once, I had the pleasure of watching a Benson try to fight a Minotaur. Didn't use his smoke or torpedoes, just charged at him guns ablazing.

I was in some Japanese DD trying to help the Benson take a cap.

We didn't take it.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,093 posts
7,667 battles

If the target is preoccupied and can't really fight back against you then there's little reason not to, unless you need to keep stealthed for bigger reasons(like getting around a flank, or into a cap, etc.)

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,722 battles

I once had a gearing try and pick a gun fight with my Des Moines.  He opened up from about 10km away and was moving closer.  I had no clue what was going through his head, but I killed him before he could think twice about it....

[MORSV]
Members
36 posts
9,033 battles

As a DD player, shooting the guns are situational. If he died shortly after opening up with guns, he either didn't do it right, or didn't expect something else lurking in concealment waiting for that situation. I want to and do use my guns :cap_rambo:, but I wait until the right moment :Smile_hiding: when I'm surrounded by FRIENDLIES :fish_haloween:

Members
3,821 posts
14,163 battles
36 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Once, I had the pleasure of watching a Benson try to fight a Minotaur. Didn't use his smoke or torpedoes, just charged at him guns ablazing.

I was in some Japanese DD trying to help the Benson take a cap.

We didn't take it.

I had some spud in a Sims charge out from behind a island at my Scharnhorst, guns a blazin'! He either forgot that German BB's secondaries are like a chainsaw to DDs or didn't know. If he forgot, he was reminded, if he didn't know, he learned. What my secondaries left was finished with one salvo from my mains.

Members
2,614 posts
3,569 battles

It is situational....

Now, granted, the player mentioned in your opening post was not using his guns in the right situation.

There are plenty of situations where the use of your guns in open water is okay. IE, when you are not the priority target, when they have lots of other people they are preoccupied with...

[MIA-A]
Members
344 posts
9,807 battles
7 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

well, they cant stealth fire anymore in open water, you want to be the one spotting for them or have them sit behind an island? because thats the only way now they can fire without being seen nowadays

I was spotting I was a bb I can take hits.

Members
1,158 posts
6,952 battles
6 hours ago, twitch133 said:

It is situational....

Now, granted, the player mentioned in your opening post was not using his guns in the right situation.

There are plenty of situations where the use of your guns in open water is okay. IE, when you are not the priority target, when they have lots of other people they are preoccupied with...

more or less this.

I actively fire my guns in my fletcher, and always look for situations i can safely.   some games, that may mean not many shots at all.  other games, i am spraying shells all over the map.  

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
8 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I had some spud in a Sims charge out from behind a island at my Scharnhorst, guns a blazin'! He either forgot that German BB's secondaries are like a chainsaw to DDs or didn't know. If he forgot, he was reminded, if he didn't know, he learned. What my secondaries left was finished with one salvo from my mains.

If by chainsaw you mean, occasional tickle... sure.  Sharn secondaries aren't any real danger to a maneuvering DD.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
14 hours ago, IvanPonomarev said:

Depends on the boat. Despite the changes to open water firing, I find the Blyss is just as lethal as ever. My radius of EFFECTIVE fire is usually larger than cruisers of the same tier and definitely larger than battleships. I can troll around at near max range, hitting for damage and fires and dodge incoming fire pretty easily. Given the size of the Blyss, I find its the only way to play it. 

I also tend to play the Gremmy, Clemson, and a few other destroyers the same way. Not sure I'd try it in a Mahan, though. 

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

a lot of dd players are dumb and have no business operating them.  you typically see at least 2 or 3 of them dead in the first 60 seconds of gameplay.    there is no way to quantify or understand anything they do because a lot of them are just dumb.  

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,411 posts
3,583 battles
15 hours ago, IvanPonomarev said:

Firing your guns out in the open is balancing the knifes edge. 

If done properly, you can engage fires and small main battery damage to a pretty effective level. Enough to make a target turn its turrets towards you.  Once this process happens you silence your guns and time the 20 second bloom penalty until you re establish concealment.  Making him waste his time turning his turrets. 

Sounds to me like that Mahan was on the wrong side of the blade