Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoneStormchaser

IGNORANCE IS BLISS

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles

Been playing the game for a year now, but I still don't know all the mechanics. (Please, be nice. No flaming, this is meant for learning)

Let's say, I am in a Cleveland. (Max dmg from my AP = 3,200)

I just Citadel a Pensacola (5) times. No other damage it receives.

What would be the damage received on the Pensacola from those shots?

Is it 5 x 3,200 with nothing else taken into consideration?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,460
[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

Citadel shots do 100% of listed damage. So 5 citadels will do 5 * 3200 = 16000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
25 minutes ago, Lert said:

Citadel shots do 100% of listed damage. So 5 citadels will do 5 * 3200 = 16000.

 

23 minutes ago, _Luna said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

I know its not a direct answer to your question, but the wiki is pretty comprehensive and will be able to answer most questions you have about game mechanics, and probably some you didn't think to ask.

Thanks. I appreciate your answers.

Now if i set (3) fires on the same ship, Pensacola, which causes 1,500 dmg before he puts it out and then light him up again with (3) more fires, which ends up doing more than 20,000 dmg, why would I ever want to fire AP?

Can this scenario be applied to all ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,317
[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
1 minute ago, LoneStormchaser said:

why would I ever want to fire AP?

 

Because at close range, Cleaveland is capable of instadeleting at least equal and lesser tiered cruisers who foolishly give a broadside. Further out it's less certain; and when a target is angled HE becomes the better option in many cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,460
[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
10 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

why would I ever want to fire AP?

Depends on the ship, but the higher the caliber, the more devastating getting multiple cits can be. For example, a T10 battleship getting 2 cits is like 28k dmg right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,299 posts
9,262 battles
11 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

 

Thanks. I appreciate your answers.

Now if i set (3) fires on the same ship, Pensacola, which causes 1,500 dmg before he puts it out and then light him up again with (3) more fires, which ends up doing more than 20,000 dmg, why would I ever want to fire AP?

Can this scenario be applied to all ships?

Cruisers take less HE fire damage. Now any broadside target at 9km or less that's a cruiser you should be firing AP at this range and less your likely to hit belt armor with HE that will do little or no damage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

 

Because at close range, Cleaveland is capable of instadeleting at least equal and lesser tiered cruisers who foolishly give a broadside. Further out it's less certain; and when a target is angled HE becomes the better option in many cases.

Thanks.

So shoot AP at ships of the same tier or less, who are broadside, except for maybe BB's, but for the most part, keep HE loaded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,269
[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
10 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Thanks.

So shoot AP at ships of the same tier or less, who are broadside, except for maybe BB's, but for the most part, keep HE loaded?


In general for most cruisers, yes. You really don't tend to swap to AP unless, as others have said, you get a broadside from another cruiser and ranges are mid to close. AP vs BB depends highly on the guns being fired, the ship being shot, and where on the ship you're hitting. Even Destroyer AP can do lots of fast penetration (non-citadel) damage to a BB if they shoot the thinly armored parts. Some BBs have thinner armor between the armor belt and the deck that, if you shoot there under a turret, can still be a citadel hit. 

Short answer, use HE against a BB if you're in a cruiser. Long answer, learn which of the BBs you might face can be penetrated by your AP, where you need to shoot them to pull that off, and if any of those spots can result in a citadel. 

 

Of course, as a cruiser you also don't really want to be close to a BB in most cases... even angled, that's asking for a hurting especially if they are a tier above. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,317
[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles
9 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Thanks.

So shoot AP at ships of the same tier or less, who are broadside, except for maybe BB's, but for the most part, keep HE loaded?

 

It's mostly a matter of learned experience, (across all classes, to be honest;) but generally; AP at broadsides, or if you know you can penetrate the target's front/rear armor, especially closer targets; use HE at most bow/stern targets, or at non-broadsided targets, or tagets at greater distances.

 

The one 'HE only' class of targets is usually destroyers, but if you have AP loaded, shoot and THEN switch to HE, you might get lucky and stick the DD for a raft of overpens, or a normal pen or two.

 

Of course; if you just want to watch the world burn, (coughRNBBscough)then it's HE all the way.

 

The only thing that might not shoot AP at broadside targets might be destroyers, and even that isn't always true; had an Atlanta go broadsideto my Gaede at less that 5k; I know Atlanta has weak armor, so I switched to AP and quickly put him under. If that had been something else, I might have stayed with HE.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles

Dam. No wonder you guys are good. (Like I said, this is for educational purposes)

As for the RN BB, 40% chance of fire? This is another topic!

Basically, Cruisers need to have HE ready. Period, at all times. Switch to AP only if the opportunity arises?

As for DD's, If your kiting them in your BB, then AP is alright? Just not broadside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WFR]
Members
433 posts
18 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Thanks.

So shoot AP at ships of the same tier or less, who are broadside, except for maybe BB's, but for the most part, keep HE loaded?

 

also just keep an eye on your shot registry (enable detailed damage ribbons).

 

if you find your AP rounds are overpenetrating ALOT, you are too close to your target, and unless your overpen damage is good, change up to HE for that target.

 

Likewise, if your AP rounds are bouncing/shattering ALOT, the target's armor is too thick for blasters. Use your tow-hooks and cables. Switch to HE, and point at a softer spot on the ship.

 

you'll be able to form a better generalization for what range each ship is best at for a given enemy ship orientation, and ammo type. it just becomes intrinsic, despite how complicated it all sounds, lol.

Edited by SinisterSe7en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[SAA]
Members
814 posts
26,779 battles

First, great question OP! 

Second, great answers from some of the really good players in the game.  I wish all posts where like this (cant stand some of the arrogance that some players bring to the forum).

Cant add to what has been said so far, I do have a suggestion, load Aslans training room.  For me, I really got a feel on when to use AP vs HE.  I have loaded up a training room with all sorts of static targets and just shot at them from different angles.  I would aim for different parts of a particular ship to see what my results were.  Try to do this as a daily exorcise, after a while you will notice that you auto aim yourself with out thinking and your average damage starts to go up.

Good luck to you, and I hope we meet in a map on the same team!  :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
19 minutes ago, Turbotush said:

First, great question OP! 

Second, great answers from some of the really good players in the game.  I wish all posts where like this (cant stand some of the arrogance that some players bring to the forum).

Cant add to what has been said so far, I do have a suggestion, load Aslans training room.  For me, I really got a feel on when to use AP vs HE.  I have loaded up a training room with all sorts of static targets and just shot at them from different angles.  I would aim for different parts of a particular ship to see what my results were.  Try to do this as a daily exorcise, after a while you will notice that you auto aim yourself with out thinking and your average damage starts to go up.

Good luck to you, and I hope we meet in a map on the same team!  :Smile_honoring:

I did not know Aslain had a training room mod. (I already run a few of the mods in his down-loader to begin with) Unless you're talking about accessing the Training Room inside the game. (I activated that a long time ago by entering the info myself)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,613 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Cruisers take less HE fire damage. Now any broadside target at 9km or less that's a cruiser you should be firing AP at this range and less your likely to hit belt armor with HE that will do little or no damage

 

Cruisers take less fire damage than a BB? Curious how this mechanic works? If I read you right, Fires do more damage on a BB than a Cruiser or even a DD? Where would I find this info? This is new to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
1,299 posts
9,262 battles
21 hours ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Cruisers take less fire damage than a BB? Curious how this mechanic works? If I read you right, Fires do more damage on a BB than a Cruiser or even a DD? Where would I find this info? This is new to me.

They take less since fire damage is calculated via HP pool. 18% of 15000 hp 2700 while 18% of 70000 to is 12600 that for one fire that lasts 60 sec. We're as lets say you fire HE at a 30000k hp cruiser get one fire that he lets burn and he turns outta range you also do 2k in damage via the hits this gives you 7400 damage. Then let's say you fire at the same 30000 hp cruiser with AP and get 4 cits, let's say you are using Cleveland, that 3200 damage a shot which adds up to 12800 damage not to mention any other pens you may get from that salvo. Again the cruiser turns and runs you hit him no more. Now tell me which was better to use?

Well situation also will help you determine shell choice if you close and he may go broadside fire away with SO, but if he is being difficult then fire away with HE. Remember AP will almost always kill a ship faster too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,309
[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles

fire damage can be healed, AP damage can't. or most of it can't be, I forget.

if you use HE vs BBs, some have higher resistance to fire, and the captains skills, etc, and you won't get many fires. you might be better off with AP.

with the IJN CAs, which have a good % of starting a fire, I generally play pretty lazy and don't bother switching to AP unless a CA is offering a broadside. that's with a 13-15 sec reload +/-. with an 8 sec reload, it makes more sense to switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×