Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Torpedo effectiveness (or lack of)

5 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,912 battles

I know tier 2 torpedoes aren't one-hit battleship slayers by any means, but I was rather perplexed a few days ago, at the end of a game that ended quickly and violently for me, to be told that I had put five of them, in rapid succession, into the side of a low-tier cruiser without sinking it. I only  had time for the one attack before I got blown up, and it seems odd to me as a relative novice that FIVE torps in the space of less than a minute should fail to put a low-tier cruiser on the bottom.

I can accept that quick thinking on the R button after the first two or three could save them from death by flooding, but still - FIVE hits and no kill? RNG was not my friend that night!!!

Can anyone shed light on this? Or is it just, as I've already suggested, RNG deciding to roll against me big-time?

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,204 battles

There is a mechanic called damage saturation. It's a really weird mechanic. Basically, the ship has sections, and the sections have HP. If you shoot or torpedo a guy, it deals damage to the section of ship hit, and that reduces the HP. If a section has no HP left and it gets hit, the hits don't do any damage.

A good example of this is if you hit a destroyer in the bow with a torpedo, it might bring him down to 10% HP, but if you hit that same destroyer in the middle with the same torpedo it kills him. Here is a clip showing an example of damage saturation in action.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,420 posts

There is also a mechanic called Torpedo Belt Armour, that even if you spread your hits along the length of a ship, then you can hit with 7 torps and still not sink a like tier BB.

My record is 8 torpedo hits (higher tier BB); thankfully the BB sank to flooding damage lol. Guess the 5-12% chance torpedo hit rate is still too high. :Smile_honoring:

Edit: Please note that all the torps in the video below hit the same area = saturation. 2x spread salvo along the full length of the ship = Torpedo Armour Belt and bad luck! :Smile_Default:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

To illustrate damage saturation and its interaction with torpedoes--

npdZWKV.gif

That's a destroyer taking 10 torpedoes. Since they all hit the stern, saturation kicked in and he stopped taking damage, as the stern section had no more HP to lose.

Edited by AraAragami

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

All of the above with one exception: the T2 French cruiser has absurd torpedo protection. It's probably a combo of everything listed above.

Sign in to follow this