Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Question about Kutuzov's boats

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

22,502
[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

5Mjq4Uc.jpg

Usually when you look at where the boats are stored onboard a ship there's a crane of sorts nearby to lower them into the water and lift them out again. Not so with the butt-boats on Kutuzov. How would they lower them into the water? Just push them off the ramp? And how would they lift them up onto the ship again? Winch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
205
[RIPQP]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
725 posts
7,647 battles

Copious amounts of vodka will solve everything, comrade

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles

I think it's just filler.  Haven't found much in the way of photos of her aft, but in one sister ship (obviously a little more recent), that back end is a heli-pad.  In an older photo, the aft simply had a boat or two and extra space for the rear anchor.

Unless I looked at these photos completely wrong.

 

Spoiler

1280px-Zhdanov.jpg


 

Spoiler

AdmiralUshakov1981.jpg

 

Edited by Sock5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,317
[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
17,012 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

And how would they lift them up onto the ship again? Winch?

 

Sail home to Murmansk after being dropped off Comrade! (Seriously... that's something I never noticed; good question...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,680
[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

Those are the Life Boats. The crew gets in them when the ship sinks. No need for recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,701 battles

Comrade, in glorious Soviet navy no one leaves ship until decks are vet vit ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,807 battles

Basically, it's a one way ticket to "getting the hell off this sinking POS".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
989 posts
5,724 battles
38 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

I think it's just filler.  Haven't found much in the way of photos of her aft, but in one sister ship (obviously a little more recent), that back end is a heli-pad.  In an older photo, the aft simply had a boat or two and extra space for the rear anchor.

Unless I looked at these photos completely wrong.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

1280px-Zhdanov.jpg


 

  Reveal hidden contents

AdmiralUshakov1981.jpg

 

 

In the second photo, I see one of the boats hanging from a light-duty set of davits on the port side of the stern area.

 

Also, I see one ship's launch amidships, between the funnels. I don't have the Kutuzov myself - are the amidship boats there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles
48 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Those are the Life Boats. The crew gets in them when the ship sinks. No need for recovery.

No they aren't, and lifeboats still require launching and recovery devices... warships carry lifeboats so infrequently that it can almost be said that they never carry them at all. They take up too much space, and require too much time and resources with preventative maintenance, and in the event of an abandon ship situation, due to battle damage, they would likely not even function. 

@Lert I think they have some davits which can be taken down/put into a stow position when not needed. In your screen shot, forward of the prop guards there are 2 L shaped bars slung alongside the ship just aft of the rear most turret. I think those are boat davits. Sock5's 2nd shot has one of the port side davits rigged with a boat on it. If they wanted to use those boats they could probably either manhandle them to the davit, or manhandle them onto the rails for moving depth charges and then bring them to the davits pretty easily.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,502
[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

Thanks for a good and comprehensive answer, Dorja.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,502
[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles
19 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Also, I see one ship's launch amidships, between the funnels. I don't have the Kutuzov myself - are the amidship boats there? 

Two motorized cabin cruisers and one open rowboat, along with collapsible crane for handling them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,680
[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles
27 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

No they aren't, and lifeboats still require launching and recovery devices... warships carry lifeboats so infrequently that it can almost be said that they never carry them at all. They take up too much space, and require too much time and resources with preventative maintenance, and in the event of an abandon ship situation, due to battle damage, they would likely not even function.

That would be the more serious answer. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,614 posts
3,569 battles

@Lert

 

I imagine something like this...

 

 

Free fall life boats... I have had to ride one that dropped from 38 meters as part of a drill on an oil rig.

 

That was the worst experience i have ever had offshore. Even worse that getting dunked for the helicopter escape class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,183
[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
8 minutes ago, twitch133 said:

Free fall life boats... I have had to ride one that dropped from 38 meters as part of a drill on an oil rig.

 

That was the worst experience i have ever had offshore. Even worse that getting dunked for the helicopter escape class.

 

Pretty sure I've seen a ride like that somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,367
[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,212 battles
1 hour ago, twitch133 said:

 

 

Free fall life boats... I have had to ride one that dropped from 38 meters as part of a drill on an oil rig.

 

That was the worst experience i have ever had offshore. Even worse that getting dunked for the helicopter escape class.

 

As much as I hated our regular life boats, I'm so glad I never had to ride a free fall one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×