You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
D1xKnight

Can World Leaders Bring Back The Battleships?

84 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
505 battles

Just a curious question. We are in the 21st century with all of this advanced and futuristic technology and people say we don't need to battleships anymore cause their rain over the ocean is over and that the aircraft carrier is now the dominate force on the oceans. air power determines whatever a victory is possibly for both sides. but what if the USA or Russia wanted to replace the aircraft carrier now hear me out. lets just say their was an alien invasion and the world powers launch their massive air support from their carriers but then a large UFO war machine destroys half of the carriers combined from each nation. the world leaders would need a large ship that can knock out that UFO so the USA and other large military powers would band together and build or *Re bring* the mighty battleships. if we bring battleships back to the 21st century what role will they play?

Members
9,863 posts

Formatting is your friend....

And no, In the old days, "Fog of war" existed, large battle groups survived on not being spotted. 

That does not exist today, any slow moving large ship is just another target for missiles fired from far away....

[PLPTE]
Members
493 posts
6,886 battles

So the world powers should spend ridiculous quantities of money to have a ship type available because.... aliens?

You watched the movie "Battleship", didn't you?  Let me tell you, if a spaceship can cross the galaxy and be "armored" to survive the impacts it would face via space travel, I can assure you that a BB AP shell wouldn't even phase it.  Especially not a 50 cal bullet in the windshield spaceshield.

• Cool 2

[USCC2]
Members
3,428 posts
2 minutes ago, Kerrec said:

So the world powers should spend ridiculous quantities of money to have a ship type available because.... aliens?

You watched the movie "Battleship", didn't you?  Let me tell you, if a spaceship can cross the galaxy and be "armored" to survive the impacts it would face via space travel, I can assure you that a BB AP shell wouldn't even phase it.  Especially not a 50 cal bullet in the windshield spaceshield.

You know nothing Jon Snow!

We win in nearly every alien invasion film! :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 2

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

The only way I could see Battleships making a comeback is if we have large Missile bed ships, that may or may not have a turreted gun or two for shore bombardment. But even then that would probably be a heavy cruiser or Battle cruiser by WW2 standards.

On the alien note, a BB gun only has certain elevation a UFO by definition is FLYING so I doubt BBs would be effective in that regards.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
673 posts
5,402 battles

the only way i see battleships ever making a comeback is if missile defense systems become so effective, and so cheap to operate on all sides, that the only option remaining is to use guns/rail guns to bypass them, or risk fighting a losing battle with the public due to the cost of missiles vs cost of target.

and even then its unlikely to happen without a massive game-changing breakthrough in either gun range, or advancements in rail-guns to the point the difference in effective range becomes negligible.

Alpha Tester
1,150 posts
5,208 battles

There was a thread a  long while back that was a massive discussion on battleships in the modern era, let me go find it.

• Cool 1

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles

Never say never..with current tight world budgets, CV's are TOO expensive to set sail..re-arming battleships with larger missile systems is actually ON the TABLE right now as we speak.

I always say when is WG going to introduce Tiers XI - XX?

WE could have all sorts of modern battles. Though it prolly wouldn't be fun..because U just shot one laser guided missile 100 miles away and NEVER see your NME...

Edited by drakoolia

Alpha Tester
1,150 posts
5,208 battles

I believe this thread is the thread I was looking for. I may be wrong, but I currently don't have time to search for others.

• Cool 1

Members
1,494 posts
7,413 battles

We will never see Battleships of the old again, but we may see larger guided missile ships etc.  Who knows what will happen over time, as technology becomes better, things change is weird ways and sometimes you need to go back to older tech to have the edge again.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Isn't it blatantly obvious that even the most "futuristically" advanced battleship wouldn't stand a chance against a UFO without Rihanna as an integral part of the crew?

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles

"Rain" over? Really? If by that you mean the aliens blasting our BB's to smithereens and the pieces falling all over the planet, ok. Otherwise, the word you're looking for is "reign", I am juuuuuuust saying.

In addition, in the world we live in now, battleships would be obliterated, even the mighty "Iowa" class. Think things through, man, think things through.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles

There is some thinking by military experts that eventually rail guns will bring back the need for armor, and with the need for armor the battleship, as they will be next to impossible to shoot down by point defense. The army and even more so the marines really want something that can provide heavy fire support but that kind of ship wouldn't require the super heavy armor of a battleship to accomplish its mission.

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Based on what I have learned from WoWS, rail guns will simply overpen for zero damage...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles
43 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Based on what I have learned from WoWS, rail guns will simply overpen for zero damage...

MY Favorite part about the overpenning mechanic in Wows....my DD got overpenened bye your BB so I'm good...YEah except for the giant holes through your entire ship which should be causing U to Sink instantly...which somehow DOESN'T!!!!

[B2P]
[B2P]
Members
278 posts
7,465 battles
2 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

MY Favorite part about the overpenning mechanic in Wows....my DD got overpenened bye your BB so I'm good...YEah except for the giant holes through your entire ship which should be causing U to Sink instantly...which somehow DOESN'T!!!!

Some DDs survived overpenetrations and kept fighting in real life, why on an arcade game this should be diferent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

Here the best example.

Edited by Jorge_Beaven

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,161 battles
1 minute ago, drakoolia said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

Read this and then tell me that over penetrating battleship shells are effective against destroyers. (hint; A hole through a ship does less damage then you might think because even a small ship needs a big hole to sink quickly) 

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles
19 minutes ago, Jorge_Beaven said:

Some DDs survived overpenetrations and kept fighting in real life, why on an arcade game this should be diferent?

ROLFMAO.....that is  a FLAT out LIE!!!...show me one case ever existing in all of history..Ive seen ALL the imaginable documentaries....and NOT once was this mentioned...sorry man..I will require proof of this Bold statement.

[HYDRA]
Members
136 posts
1,161 battles
1 minute ago, drakoolia said:

ROLFMAO.....that is  a FLAT out LIE!!!...show me one case ever existing in all of history..Ive seen ALL the imaginable documentaries....and NOT once was this mentioned...sorry man..I will require proof of this Bold statement.

read my last post, the most damage caused by battleship main guns in that engagement was a lucky hit that halved one of the destroyers speed. Most of the actual damage was by cruisers and secondaries.

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles
18 minutes ago, Herodotus4 said:

read my last post, the most damage caused by battleship main guns in that engagement was a lucky hit that halved one of the destroyers speed. Most of the actual damage was by cruisers and secondaries.

There is only one mention of overpenning...and it doesn't say they didnt sink.

"Their lack of armor tended to aid clean penetration of armor-piercing rounds before Japanese gunners switched to high-explosive (HE) shells, which caused much more extensive damage"