You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SpinningDog

Low tier CV manual drop

46 comments in this topic

[UR]
Members
43 posts
5,366 battles

Just give it back.

Low tier games are full of inexperienced players, the chance of a destroyer sneaking through is higher. All CV can do is spot them and try to bomb them with crappy auto drop, which will never hit a destroyer given the destroyer captain know what he's doing. And yes, even crossed drops can miss, auto drop is only good for BBs, and half of the torps hit even if they ignore the bombers.

If WG think low tire CV with manual drop is not good for inexperienced CV player to learn CV, removing manual drop isn't the way. You gotta teach them to use manual drop and/or strafe, instead of taking them away and let them learn it the hard way in tire 6 by getting destroyed by the enemy CV. It's simple, just add one line on CV players' screen: Use "ALT" to win!

I post this now because I recently started playing CV, which I didn't for the first 4000 battles of mine. Heard them removing manual drops, I thought, oh good, no more one sided CV matchups. Until this day while destroyers constantly getting through... not because I didn't spot them, because no one shot at them...

[SPTR]
Members
115 posts
4,486 battles

My understanding is that part of the rational for the change was that when the newTM CV mechanics are released soonTM that manual drops will be gone in general (no idea what would replace them).

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles

That's not a problem with CVs. That's a problem with your teammates inability to focus on the target. You don't balance a ship or ships based on teammates deciding not to shot at certain ships you want them to shoot at.

[CJN]
[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
6,119 battles
3 minutes ago, Garrcia said:

My understanding is that part of the rational for the change was that when the newTM CV mechanics are released soonTM that manual drops will be gone in general (no idea what would replace them).

Rumor has it that the CV mechanic changes are done. Most of the player base now is confused since most of the changes hasn't benefited the class at all.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
6 minutes ago, Garrcia said:

No, manual drop was removed from T4 and T5 CV because too many highly experienced players were purposely driving T4 and T5 CVs and sealclubbing.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,520 posts
7,578 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

No, manual drop was removed from T4 and T5 CV because too many highly experienced players were purposely driving T4 and T5 CVs and sealclubbing.

:Smile_great: This.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles

You can still hit the DDs with an auto drop.  Just need to be more precise with it.

The worst is when your Tier 5 CV gets up'd and sees a Tier 6 CV.  Then it's stupid as some of the CVs have strafe, the others: nope.

• Cool 1

[UR]
Members
43 posts
5,366 battles
13 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

That's not a problem with CVs. That's a problem with your teammates inability to focus on the target. You don't balance a ship or ships based on teammates deciding not to shot at certain ships you want them to shoot at.

Well, so you just take away most of CV's ability to deal with destroyers on their own? Isn't CVs are suppose to deal with "isolated" targets? There are just too many limitations when it comes to low tire CV dealing with a destroyer single handedly.

1. You will have to have 2 torp squads ready for the crossed drop.

2. It can be in tight spaces like a channel, auto drop needs a lot of space unless you want your torps to hit the ground instead of water.

3. The destroyer doesn't have smoke up.

4. If you miss, and no one is helping, you die. You might get 2 tries if you spot him further away.

[UR]
Members
43 posts
5,366 battles
2 minutes ago, Sock5 said:

You can still hit the DDs with an auto drop.  Just need to be more precise with it.

The worst is when your Tier 5 CV gets up'd and sees a Tier 6 CV.  Then it's stupid as some of the CVs have strafe, the others: nope.

There are way too many limitations, auto drop single squad, most likely will not hit. 1 hits if crossed drop but that have tons of limitations too, for example, if they smoke, you can't drop. If they are in a tight space, you can't drop.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

Even bot clubbing in co-op and operations? Bogue is a liability in the latter but I love that tin can. :Smile_sad:

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

7 minutes ago, renegadestatuz said:

:Smile_great: This.

Except I don't think it did anything except force more effective use of the attack adjustment tab... Four hits on a BB are still possible, and 100k games as well...

3 minutes ago, SpinningDog said:

Oh yes, and auto drop can't drop in tight spaces... it needs soooo much space to drop.

...again; the attack angle adjust tab can mitigate this to an extent...

1 minute ago, SpinningDog said:

4. If you miss, and no one is helping, you die. You might get 2 tries if you spot him further away.

RUUNNN AWWAAAAAAYYYY! (or crawl, in the Langley's case...)

Attack the destroyer from directly behind, and a slight angle. DD either has to turn to comb the wakes, and is slowed down from closing directly, or risks a torpedo hit.

[UR]
Members
43 posts
5,366 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

This is absolutely true, but I think instead of removing the feature, WG should teach players for this kind of techniques. Removing them from low tire isn't the way; they will run into strafe/manual drops eventually lol.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
Just now, Wolcott said:

Even bot clubbing in co-op and operations? Bogue is a liability in the latter but I love that tin can. :Smile_sad:

I mercilessly club bots in both. Sweet revenge for all the grief they gave me when I was learning the game.

[UR]
Members
43 posts
5,366 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except I don't think it did anything except force more effective use of the attack adjustment tab... Four hits on a BB are still possible, and 100k games as well...

...again; the attack angle adjust tab can mitigate this to an extent...

RUUNNN AWWAAAAAAYYYY! (or crawl, in the Langley's case...)

Attack the destroyer from directly behind, and a slight angle. DD either has to turn to comb the wakes, and is slowed down from closing directly, or risks a torpedo hit.

Point accepted. Ran to the border line one time, but well, that one was my fault for not cross dropping. Where I said auto drop doesn't work in tight spaces, I meant for crossed drops, single drop from behind of in front will alway be possible, but unlikely to hit; Unless there are enough space for another horizontal drop.

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
6 minutes ago, SpinningDog said:

This is absolutely true, but I think instead of removing the feature, WG should teach players for this kind of techniques. Removing them from low tire isn't the way; they will run into strafe/manual drops eventually lol.

Then the new players can learn about it at the same time everyone else does.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles
13 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Mechanics are the same between coop and random, and random is the - ... How shall we say, 'intended' way to play the game. I'm not saying that coop players are doing it wrong and I won't hold it against anyone if they want to play coop, but the game is in essence a PvP one.

13 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Intent and result are often different, especially with WG.

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles

Keep manual drop out of low tier gameplay.  I've known many a new player quit due to frustration with tier 4/5 CV seal clubbers.  The main issue with CVs at this tier is the lack of effective AA.

Alpha Tester
1,940 posts
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

Mechanics are the same between coop and random, and random is the - ... How shall we say, 'intended' way to play the game. I'm not saying that coop players are doing it wrong and I won't hold it against anyone if they want to play coop, but the game is in essence a PvP one.

Fair enough, but it's harsh that Bogue can't use manual drop in operations where the team is always outnumbered. All I can do is equip the Air Superiority module to eliminate any enemy aircraft and sometimes spot for the team. Other than that, Bogue is unable to contribute any noticeable damage to enemy ships.

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,088 battles
1 hour ago, Sock5 said:

Impossible statement. CV's are ALWAYS the same tier on both sides.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,768 battles
4 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

No.  It's not an impossible statement.  2 CVs per side: 1 at tier V, 1 at tier VI.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,160 posts
8,772 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

I am a crappy CV player and I feel that what really needed to go was strafe and not just for tiers 4 & 5. Tier 4 & 5 are where you should be practicing your manual drops, not tier 6 possibly fighting tier 8's.

1 hour ago, Sock5 said:

33 minutes ago, drakoolia said:

Right so a tier five can be paired with a tier 6 or 7 on the same team putting it in a really deep hole.

[RESP]
Beta Testers
883 posts
7,094 battles
48 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Fair enough, but it's harsh that Bogue can't use manual drop in operations where the team is always outnumbered. All I can do is equip the Air Superiority module to eliminate any enemy aircraft and sometimes spot for the team. Other than that, Bogue is unable to contribute any noticeable damage to enemy ships.

This is more a problem with CV imbalance between the US and IJN lines. Which WG is taking their sweet time in fixing.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles

I personally feel manual drops should be removed from all tiers. The hit rate from auto drops is still well above the historical average.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles
1 hour ago, Stampz said:

Keep manual drop out of low tier gameplay.  I've known many a new player quit due to frustration with tier 4/5 CV seal clubbers.  The main issue with CVs at this tier is the lack of effective AA.

Odd. Most new players I've invited quit due to tier 5 ships constantly being fed to tier 7.

• Cool 1