You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OldFrog75

Just started playing

17 comments in this topic

Members
163 posts
411 battles

Came over from WoT looking for something to play when the bad streaks start getting the better of me or I am too fatigued to concentrate like I need to but I still want to play a game.  I'm enjoying it and my plan is to play 100 Co-Op battles (I have 25 so far) before moving up to Random (although I keep getting prompted to try Random).

Co-OP seems to be the WoWS equivalent of Proving Grounds in WoT but the bots aren't as good = they don't aim very well and they shoot anything that moves, including allies.  I suspect a lot of beginners get a rude awakening when they first move into Random battles with real players who have a strategy and aim better.

I'll be spending a lot of time in the Forums I'm sure because there is much to learn and you folks have the experience.

Edited by OldFrog75
misspelling...grammar
  • Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
379 posts
22,702 battles

Welcome to the community, Frog.

Yep, Co-Op is playpen time.  There is a lot more meat on the game in Randoms.  And, later on, Ranked.

Sail forth and have fun!

~Sab

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

Aloha, Welcome to the forums matey. Random battles people don't advance like the bots.

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

You might as well just switch to Randoms now.

Until you get 100 battles MM will only pair you with other new players (you might end up with bots on the teams even in Random because of this).

Might as well get a taste of PvP while you are still get protected matchmaking.

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

Welcome! Standard pew spiel:

Try every line! Destroyers teach good lessons with torpedoes and concealment, cruisers teach good lessons in flexibility, battleships teach good lessons in survivability, and carriers teach good lessons about spotting and making every shot count. Once you've tried everything, focus on whatever was most fun along the way.

Members
2,748 posts
6,232 battles

What I was each time I either moved up a tier, switched ship types or bought a premium was to play it in Coop for a while and then go to random once I got a feel for it. Welcome aboard. Have fun and don't let the "salt" get to you.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles

For sure, if you want to try destroyers, do it in Random, not co-op.  The bots are programmed to shoot DDs first, so the second you get lit, every bot on the board is gunning for you.

Members
163 posts
411 battles
5 hours ago, _Luna said:

You might as well just switch to Randoms now.

Until you get 100 battles MM will only pair you with other new players (you might end up with bots on the teams even in Random because of this).

Might as well get a taste of PvP while you are still get protected matchmaking.

Good point.  I was just reviewing the MM page in the Wiki and see that every tier (including Tier I) faces 1 tier higher in Random battles so playing with some temporary preferred MM (albeit only temporary) seems like a good idea.  

I have no desire to do this but theoretically, if a new player (less than 100 battles) were to buy an upper tier Premium ship and take it into Co-OP would they face only same tier ships?

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,618 battles

Welcome!  Can't add anything to what the others have said.

To reiterate, go to the Random battles as soon as you can to face human players if you want more competition.

Have fun!

Members
382 posts

Watch Twitch players, You Tube reviews and look at shipcomrade.com for good info and knowledge. This is more fun than WOT because you don't have to shoot the second porthole or this hatch to do damage. The frustration will be the other players for various reasons. Just enjoy the cool ships and do damage while protecting your ship. Good luck.  

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles
On 9/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, OldFrog75 said:

Good point.  I was just reviewing the MM page in the Wiki and see that every tier (including Tier I) faces 1 tier higher in Random battles so playing with some temporary preferred MM (albeit only temporary) seems like a good idea.  

I have no desire to do this but theoretically, if a new player (less than 100 battles) were to buy an upper tier Premium ship and take it into Co-OP would they face only same tier ships?

Matchmaking in Coop is mirror image of whatever your team is. If you have not progressed too far along I would advise you to stop and get an invite code. You will get two free premium ships and lots of other goodies. They used to give out the Diana (USSR) and the Texas (USA) and are well worth it. You will outgrow Diana in short order but she is a fun ship to play. Texas is just a hoot to play most times. They also toss some signals, consumables, credits, and more importantly 80,000 free xp if you get an invite code. The 80k in free xp is almost a third of what you need to get a free Nelson (UK) battleship and is probably the best gift of all of them. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
163 posts
411 battles
10 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Matchmaking in Coop is mirror image of whatever your team is. If you have not progressed too far along I would advise you to stop and get an invite code. You will get two free premium ships and lots of other goodies. They used to give out the Diana (USSR) and the Texas (USA) and are well worth it. You will outgrow Diana in short order but she is a fun ship to play. Texas is just a hoot to play most times. They also toss some signals, consumables, credits, and more importantly 80,000 free xp if you get an invite code. The 80k in free xp is almost a third of what you need to get a free Nelson (UK) battleship and is probably the best gift of all of them. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I'm too far along.  I've already bought a few low tier Premiums and a number of Containers for Signals and Camo.  Might have been a mistake but given I'm an established WG player from WoT I didn't think invite codes would be available to me.  Just downloaded the game, joined the Forum(s), and started playing.